CT Surgery - Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
am on CT surg right now and loving it. But have been going through threads and I see all over that the job scene is dismal. However, I was talking to one of my chiefs who will be starting CT in July and she said she already has a couple of job offers. Was also going through CTS network website and there are a fair no of jobs posted there. What do you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

am on CT surg right now and loving it. But have been going through threads and I see all over that the job scene is dismal. However, I was talking to one of my chiefs who will be starting CT in July and she said she already has a couple of job offers. Was also going through CTS network website and there are a fair no of jobs posted there. What do you guys think
There is only one job out there. They are saving it for Blade28:D

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtHEmVjVw8

I heard about the bypass operation back in '62.
Dreaming that one day I would be doing it too.
But I was too young and naive to realize it wasn't going to be true.
Oh-a-oh

They took the credit for your surgery.
Redone by catheters and their new technology.
And now I understand the problems you didn't see.
Oh-a-oh

But you can still operate on the children.
Oh-a-oh

What should I tell you?

Cardiology killed the cardiothoracic star.

Angioplasty came and broke your heart.
Oh-a-a-a-oh

And now we meet in an abandoned OR studio.
Debakey, Cooley, Lillehei seem so long ago.
And you remember how the triple bypass used to go.
Oh-a-oh

You were the first one.
Oh-a-oh
Soon you'll be the the last one.

In my mind and in my scrubs,
We can't rewind, cardiology's gone too far.
Oh-a-ah-oh
Oh-a-ah-oh

Angioplasty came and broke your heart.
Put the blame on that Werner Forssman guy.

You were a cardiothoracic star.
You were a cardiothoracic star.

Cardiology killed the cardiothoracic star...

Last edited:
I have a friend finishing CT surg at a great place this year. No job offers. The fellow before him..no job offers either. He is going to get an extra year of speciality training at another prestigious institution and try again. He is also studying to get a great inservice exam score, which I have no doubt he will succeed. He also presented research at international conferences. His dream is really to do cardiac surgery. He is very well trained in general surgery and is board certified. I see now it's not impossible to find a job in CT surgery, but it can be difficult. If it's really your dream, then do it. :xf:

If you cant find a job in CT:

Its one of a few things-

- you cant operate safely on the heart. nobody is going to REALLY reccomend you if you cant sew. consider general thoracic or general surgery

- you have visa issues

- you are an as*hole

on another note- the big name places are notorious for not really training residents to do anything other than assist. If you friend is from one of these places, then that makes sense. everyone knows the places that dont train the residents.

:D Yep, he's a jerk. But many surgeons fall into this category. They get jobs eventually...

whats the scope of pure thoracic surgery in terms of jobs and case mix