MD CU Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDApp2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster - Junior at top 10 university. Neuroscience major. I am from CO and currently University of Colorado is my first choice school. I have heard that they really like non-cookie cutter applicants and I'm wondering if you think I'm too "standard" for them. Also looking for some school
recommendations. Thanks!!

cGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 36 balanced
Clinical Volunteering:
-40 hours (4hr/month for last 10 months) working at a free clinic in underserved neighborhood, took routine vitals and whatnot, will continue until graduation
-1 week of full-time (10hr/day for 6 days) intensive volunteering at local medical school helping coordinate a weeklong clinical study
-(Possibly) doing a medical mission trip to Indonesia this May
-Shadowing
-10 hr colorectal surgeon
-10 hr general surgeon
- 15 hr maxillofacial surgeon
- 50+ hr neurologist (pretty consistently over the last couple months - I'll get a nice LOR from him)
-Will be adding ~60 hr shadowing in the ER
-Research
-
Will have 7 semesters (part time) + 1 summer (full time) of neuroimaging research, 1 publication as 2nd author, possible second publication as 1st author, multiple presentations at undergrad symposia
-I was selected to participate in a competitive clinical/translational research program for undergrads last summer, learned how to write a grant application (IDK if this counts for anything)
-Nonclinical volunteer activities
-
Will have ~100 hrs of mentoring at home for underserved families affected by HIV/AIDS
-Employment
-
Managed a froyo shop summer after my freshman year
-Other
President of my university's cycling team. Helped coordinate a partnership between our school and a local cancer fundraising ride.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In terms of schools, I think you could be looking at some upper-middle tier programs. CU seems like a good bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey hey. I'd recommend investing in an MSAR. For $22, it has the most comprehensive information and statistics applicants need to decide which MD programs they will apply to. I'm also a Colorado resident gunning for CU, good luck!

First time poster - Junior at top 10 university. Neuroscience major. I am from CO and currently University of Colorado is my first choice school. I have heard that they really like non-cookie cutter applicants and I'm wondering if you think I'm too "standard" for them. Also looking for some school
recommendations. Thanks!!

cGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 36 balanced
Clinical Volunteering:
-40 hours (4hr/month for last 10 months) working at a free clinic in underserved neighborhood, took routine vitals and whatnot, will continue until graduation
-1 week of full-time (10hr/day for 6 days) intensive volunteering at local medical school helping coordinate a weeklong clinical study
-(Possibly) doing a medical mission trip to Indonesia this May
-Shadowing
-10 hr colorectal surgeon
-10 hr general surgeon
- 15 hr maxillofacial surgeon
- 50+ hr neurologist (pretty consistently over the last couple months - I'll get a nice LOR from him)
-Will be adding ~60 hr shadowing in the ER
-Research
-
Will have 7 semesters (part time) + 1 summer (full time) of neuroimaging research, 1 publication as 2nd author, possible second publication as 1st author, multiple presentations at undergrad symposia
-I was selected to participate in a competitive clinical/translational research program for undergrads last summer, learned how to write a grant application (IDK if this counts for anything)
-Nonclinical volunteer activities
-
Will have ~100 hrs of mentoring at home for underserved families affected by HIV/AIDS
-Employment
-
Managed a froyo shop summer after my freshman year
-Other
President of my university's cycling team. Helped coordinate a partnership between our school and a local cancer fundraising ride.
Historically, UCDSOM has seemed to prefer those of nontraditional age with interesting experiences after graduation, and those with significantly more active clinical experience than is usual for all but one other med school.

With your stats, long-term research involvement, and leadership experience (depending on how you frame it), you can reasonably aim at the most-selective research-oriented med schools. Happily, some of those give merit scholarships that could make your cost of attendance no worse than getting instate tuition in Colorado.

Historically, UCDSOM has seemed to prefer those of nontraditional age with interesting experiences after graduation, and those with significantly more active clinical experience than is usual for all but one other med school.

With your stats, long-term research involvement, and leadership experience (depending on how you frame it), you can reasonably aim at the most-selective research-oriented med schools. Happily, some of those give merit scholarships that could make your cost of attendance no worse than getting instate tuition in Colorado.

Do you think it would better to try and do a gap year to gain some of these "interesting experiences?" While the in-state tuition is attractive, the main reasons driving me back to Colorado are personal.

Do more research first, perhaps by reading through this and last year's School Specific threads and reading the MDapps of those reporting an acceptance. You could also check with the admissions office about guidelines for clinical experience, which used to be 500 hours, however since the new dean came a few years ago, there is no specific number mentioned on the website anymore (I didn't check it for this season though). I have "met" an SDNer who reported getting in with 400 hours, but have no idea if he might have been an anomaly. Lat year, one SDNer, apumic, reported calling the office and said, "Willa confirmed they still generally stick to their 500+ hrs of clinical experience rule. I don't think it's an absolute, though."

If the data bears out, then waiting a year seems like a good plan.