CU (OOS) vs. UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldude3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Trying to compare these two schools - cost, location, info about curriculum (pass/fail), type of testing, any helpful info

Background: From MASS so OOS for Co and UNE is private

Looking to possibly work towards becoming a pediatric dentist/specializing

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I have also been accepted to UNE and am in the process of comparing it to other schools. This is what1 I know for UNE:
  • Cost- 410K after 4 years and 520k after 4 years with interest (Average of 6.5%)
  • Location- if you are from Mass, UNE is only a few hours away (maybe 1.5-2/ not sure, I am from CT, and I know it's 3.5 hours for me). This would be great if you value being close to family and friends. This also saves you money in terms of traveling back home for holidays/ short breaks/ emergencies (God Forbid).
  • Location- Maine is a beautiful little city. It's affordable (at least compared to Boston, MA). You will have access to a great patient panel.
  • Curriculum-
    • UNE has a vertical integration system (D1 works with D2, D3, and D4)
    • Lots and LOTs of clinical experiences. They also have their externship program during D4, where you travel to various rural areas to provide care. During your externships, you work in actual dental offices with current dentists- so, these will be great opportunities to network with others in the field.
    • Pass/ Fail- Less competitive environment.
I think I just convinced myself in this response, LOL. Best of luck!

Hey, I have also been accepted to UNE and am in the process of comparing it to other schools. This is what1 I know for UNE:
  • Cost- 410K after 4 years and 520k after 4 years with interest (Average of 6.5%)
  • Location- if you are from Mass, UNE is only a few hours away (maybe 1.5-2/ not sure, I am from CT, and I know it's 3.5 hours for me). This would be great if you value being close to family and friends. This also saves you money in terms of traveling back home for holidays/ short breaks/ emergencies (God Forbid).
  • Location- Maine is a beautiful little city. It's affordable (at least compared to Boston, MA). You will have access to a great patient panel.
  • Curriculum-
    • UNE has a vertical integration system (D1 works with D2, D3, and D4)
    • Lots and LOTs of clinical experiences. They also have their externship program during D4, where you travel to various rural areas to provide care. During your externships, you work in actual dental offices with current dentists- so, these will be great opportunities to network with others in the field.
    • Pass/ Fail- Less competitive environment.
I think I just convinced myself in this response, LOL. Best of luck!
Thank you!!! That’s really helpful!