• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Apr 24, 2012
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey there. Hold on to your seat tight, these stats might blow you away :rolleyes:

After this semester I will be working with an AACOMAS cuGPA of 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.46, with no MCAT score until June.

As far as ECs go:

400 Volunteer Hours in ER setting over 1 year
80 Hours Shadowing Experience between Orthopedic Surgeon & Dermatopathologist
Pre-Medical Society Treasurer 1 year
1 Year Undergraduate Research with Microvascular Endothelial Cells and Focal Adhesion Kinase, with name mentioned in publication

My major is Cell and Molecular Biology, which has been a very course intensive major. The reason I switched from Biology to CMB was to increase my chances at M.D. schools, as my goal was to get into Mizzou (Missouri resident). Now I am pretty sure that dream is lost, but I still want to shoot for A.T. Still University and some other D.O. schools in the area.

What do you guys think? I know without the MCAT it is hard to tell, but I am a decent test taker, so if I try hard I could probably pull off a solid 30-32.

Also, the trend has been an upward one. My cuGPA is so low because freshman year I flunked out. Got carried away with having fun and didn't even realize what I wanted to do with my life. Since then, I have made Dean's list almost every semester and raised a 0.5 cuGPA to the 3.35 it is now... which I am proud of... :) but I doubt the ad coms will share the enthusiasm...

Juicec

Nov 10, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think you've done well for yourself given where you came from, in terms of freshman GPA I mean. Major is irrelevant so don't think CMB would of helped you towards an M.D.

You've got a slightly below average D.O. GPA, I would say on the low side of average D.O. EC's, but with your projected 32MCAT you would be on the upper end of MCATs for D.O.'s. If that is the case, I think you've got a great shot at some quality D.O. schools. GPA and EC's will need to increase if you choose to pursue M.D. again.

Good luck.

Apr 24, 2012
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you very much for the input juicec. You said if I wanted to go for M.D. that I would have to raise my GPA.. at this point, what would be the best route for me to take to get a higher GPA? I am sort-of still trying to figure out ways I can get into M.D. schools. TBH I would be willing to do a year of post-bacc work if needed be, but if I go that route, there's going to have to be a much better chance of me getting in to justify the extra length of time dedicated just because I would rather go to an allopathic school. Which, I wouldn't mind D.O. at all but the only problem is that my plan is to be a pathologist, and as far as I know the D.O. route offers no residencies for path which would ultimately mean that I would have to take both the osteopathic tests but also the USMLE's on top of that so I could switch to the M.D. path residency... or so my research has led me to believe.

But basically, what I am really torn about is

A. If I do post-bacc work, even 1 year may only raise my GPA to 3.35-3.4 on the AMCAS scale.

B. Will D.O. be a good decision for an aspiring path student, given the extra effort to switch residencies/will I even be competitive enough for the residencies

Juicec

Nov 10, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, the fact of the matter is, is that despite what you do in life a better GPA will never hurt. It is difficult to raise your GPA substantially but upward trends and difficult course work speaks volumes, especially when coupled with the trend you already have going. So you have to decide I guess what's more important. To me the earning potential of graduating 1-2 years earlier sounds like a smarter decision.

If I was in your shoes I would pursue a D.O. I think being interested in a specialty this early is great, but setting it in stone might be a bit premature. During the next 4 years your mind will change 100 different times, and I'm not sure another 1-2 years of post-bach work would be worth it at that point. Another point is that you do have a strong D.O. application and can make it even stronger with some grade replacements. A couple summer/winter courses can go along way if you're replacing a F/D/C with an A. That gets you into a top D.O. school of your choice and en route to a solid match.

I think you've got a plan, I think you should stick with it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.