• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

paradude

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2005
Bethesda, MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I had this mandatory class today on "Cultural Awareness in the Medical Interview". It was the first time this year I've actually considered stabbing myself in the eyeball in order to get out of the lecture hall. Anybody out there think this crap is actually worthwhile to the med student/future doctor or are we just keeping the touchy feely types happy? I truly couldn't believe the woman lecturing this afternoon had Phd after her name, she had a hard time mastering the basics of PowerPoint

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
I think it is relevant. Think of each branch of the military like its own culture. Each branch probably has many different subcultures (infantry, aviation, etc). You have to be in tune to these cultural requirements and differences to advocate for your patients effectively.

paradude

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2005
Bethesda, MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think it is relevant. Think of each branch of the military like its own culture. Each branch probably has many different subcultures (infantry, aviation, etc). You have to be in tune to these cultural requirements and differences to advocate for your patients effectively.

No, you misunderstand. This "cultural awareness" class wasn't on the various traditions of the different services. I love my all of my fellow service members wether they wear kahki, blue, or orange (coast guard?). This particular class was more in keeping with black history month and that sort of "let's all come together and love each other" drivel.

And It Was Painful.

About the Ads

FizbanZymogen

Guitar Hero Champion
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
D.C.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I had this mandatory class today on "Cultural Awareness in the Medical Interview". It was the first time this year I've actually considered stabbing myself in the eyeball in order to get out of the lecture hall. Anybody out there think this crap is actually worthwhile to the med student/future doctor or are we just keeping the touchy feely types happy? I truly couldn't believe the woman lecturing this afternoon had Phd after her name, she had a hard time mastering the basics of PowerPoint

Dude, I just spewed soda all over my monitor! Oh and thanks for making it come out my nose too. I have had many moments like this in undergrad where you just want to run up there, grab the power point clicker shove the lecturer down and say, "THIS IS HOW YOU USE POWERPOINT!!!!!!!!" It should be illegal to be a professor and not know how to use a computer and powerpoint.

Croooz

15+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2003
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
It should be illegal to be a professor and not know how to use a computer and powerpoint.
Powerpoint should be illegal period! Everything does not have to be a powerpoint presentation. People should have to attend certification training to be allowed to use powerpoint to cut down on the ppt. abuse. I have a powerpoint presentation on this abuse here somewhere...........;)

Ex-44E3A

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
US
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Gentlemen, I feel the need to inject a bit of levity into this discussion.

You know something, Paradude? I know I've harshed on you in some of these other threads, but I actually like you. I can see you turning into one of these guys after you become a doc. Go on... read the link... then come back.

Did you read it?

*deep breath*

Ahahahahahahah! :laugh: (I don't remember how I found that website, but I spewed coffee all over my keyboard).

Can you imagine how sweet it would be to go to all those painful meetings and classes with a hot cup of joe... lovingly contained by one of those mugs? Or one of These?

Just make sure you sit up front so your various torturers can read it. You're a captive audience, and they know it, so sometimes sticking your thumb in their eye is all you can do. It's like the teach you in SERE, it's the small victories that keep you going.

R-Me-Doc

Now an X-R-Me-Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2003
Status (Visible)
Gentlemen, I feel the need to inject a bit of levity into this discussion.

these guys

This is utterly hilarious!!!
Man, I wish I know about this while I was still in!!!!!!!!!!

X-(disgruntled major) RMD

BomberDoc

ex-BomberDoc
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
rectum, damn near killed 'em
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm gonna get one of those mugs for the Maj in my shop. He is more bitter and disillusioned than I am. I almost crapped myself laughing. It reminded me of a guy in the MDG that I saw at a meeting once with the cheesy oak leaf coffee mug. It totally confirmed that he was a tool.

I would pin on Maj 6 months or so after my separation date... not really worth the time, even though the mug is cool.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.