Cultural Awareness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had this mandatory class today on "Cultural Awareness in the Medical Interview". It was the first time this year I've actually considered stabbing myself in the eyeball in order to get out of the lecture hall. Anybody out there think this crap is actually worthwhile to the med student/future doctor or are we just keeping the touchy feely types happy? I truly couldn't believe the woman lecturing this afternoon had Phd after her name, she had a hard time mastering the basics of PowerPoint

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is relevant. Think of each branch of the military like its own culture. Each branch probably has many different subcultures (infantry, aviation, etc). You have to be in tune to these cultural requirements and differences to advocate for your patients effectively.

I think it is relevant. Think of each branch of the military like its own culture. Each branch probably has many different subcultures (infantry, aviation, etc). You have to be in tune to these cultural requirements and differences to advocate for your patients effectively.

No, you misunderstand. This "cultural awareness" class wasn't on the various traditions of the different services. I love my all of my fellow service members wether they wear kahki, blue, or orange (coast guard?). This particular class was more in keeping with black history month and that sort of "let's all come together and love each other" drivel.

And It Was Painful.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had this mandatory class today on "Cultural Awareness in the Medical Interview". It was the first time this year I've actually considered stabbing myself in the eyeball in order to get out of the lecture hall. Anybody out there think this crap is actually worthwhile to the med student/future doctor or are we just keeping the touchy feely types happy? I truly couldn't believe the woman lecturing this afternoon had Phd after her name, she had a hard time mastering the basics of PowerPoint

Dude, I just spewed soda all over my monitor! Oh and thanks for making it come out my nose too. I have had many moments like this in undergrad where you just want to run up there, grab the power point clicker shove the lecturer down and say, "THIS IS HOW YOU USE POWERPOINT!!!!!!!!" It should be illegal to be a professor and not know how to use a computer and powerpoint.

It should be illegal to be a professor and not know how to use a computer and powerpoint.
Powerpoint should be illegal period! Everything does not have to be a powerpoint presentation. People should have to attend certification training to be allowed to use powerpoint to cut down on the ppt. abuse. I have a powerpoint presentation on this abuse here somewhere...........;)

Gentlemen, I feel the need to inject a bit of levity into this discussion.

You know something, Paradude? I know I've harshed on you in some of these other threads, but I actually like you. I can see you turning into one of these guys after you become a doc. Go on... read the link... then come back.

Did you read it?

*deep breath*

Ahahahahahahah! :laugh: (I don't remember how I found that website, but I spewed coffee all over my keyboard).

Can you imagine how sweet it would be to go to all those painful meetings and classes with a hot cup of joe... lovingly contained by one of those mugs? Or one of These?

Just make sure you sit up front so your various torturers can read it. You're a captive audience, and they know it, so sometimes sticking your thumb in their eye is all you can do. It's like the teach you in SERE, it's the small victories that keep you going.

Gentlemen, I feel the need to inject a bit of levity into this discussion.

these guys

This is utterly hilarious!!!
Man, I wish I know about this while I was still in!!!!!!!!!!

X-(disgruntled major) RMD

I'm gonna get one of those mugs for the Maj in my shop. He is more bitter and disillusioned than I am. I almost crapped myself laughing. It reminded me of a guy in the MDG that I saw at a meeting once with the cheesy oak leaf coffee mug. It totally confirmed that he was a tool.

I would pin on Maj 6 months or so after my separation date... not really worth the time, even though the mug is cool.