1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Culture questions

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by basophilic, Aug 11, 2015.

1. basophilic

2+ Year Member

1. Is there a difference between cultural diffusion due to globalization vs. cultural diffusion due to amalgamation?

2. Cultural transmission vs. diffusion
    TPR says this: "a meme is an element of culture that spreads from person to person; cultural transmission is concerned with how this occurs"
    Isn't this cultural DIFFUSION? Cultural transmission is strictly "vertical" exchange of culture - i.e. between generations; whereas I see cultural diffusion as strictly horizontal exchange - i.e. between different social groups. If not, how do you distinguish between transmission and diffusion?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bee17

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Wikipedia definition of cultural transmission:

"Cultural transmission, also known as cultural learning, is the process and method of passing on socially learned information. Within a species, cultural transmission is greatly influenced by how adults socialize with each other and with their young."

While cultural transmission is often vertical, it does not have to be. Please note that just because TPR says that something is cultural transmission doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't also be described as cultural diffusion. Sociological terms tend to overlap sometimes.

basophilic likes this.