Cummalative Finals...How To Do it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KababMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I got a Physics cummalative final, a Bio II Cummalative final, and History Cummalative Final, I have only a few days left untill the finals, what do you guys suggest?

I

Members don't see this ad.

Just hang out on SDN, maaaaan.

I would have paid attention throughout the semester so this would just be a review period. . . :idea:

If you've taken good notes for the entire semester, then simply outlining the highpoints of the notes will probably be enough. Focus on the big picture processes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I got a Physics cummalative final, a Bio II Cummalative final, and History Cummalative Final, I have only a few days left untill the finals, what do you guys suggest?

I

hey I am in the same condition as you are in now, however I am no way in rush cramming for 'em since I already started a long time ago.

the best way to study is to absorb the material little by little and do a quick overview and practice with problems for a few days before the finals.

since it is cumulative, so you should already know about 70% of the materials. Accordingly, you should just focus on the new materials and go back reviewing the old stuff if you still have time left.

good luck

well you have some time, but the thing is to make sure you retain the material you are studying. With non-cumulative you can usually cram the night before and pull it off without having to much retention, but here you've gotta make sure know the material before moving on too fast.

Or buy a second hippocampus, up to you.

do problem sets and read over ur homeworks

lol, just to clear up a possible misconception that can arise, I've definately paid attention all semester, done well on exams, but I feel I forgot some stuff, in physics, some stuff in Biology as well, furthermore, the grade on your finals is basically the grade you get in the class (90%) of the time,

Just wondering what tips people use to study for them

Review your materials from the class. Study the tests and homework you have had over the semester. Attend review sessions. Try to identify what the key concepts are that are going to be stressed. Then look at them and figure out which ones you don't know and focus your study-time on your weak areas.

Freshmen year, my professor in Physics gave the class the BEST ADVICE. He said, "It you don't have to do good in my class. You just have to do better than the person next to you."

So, which class is more competitive? Which class has the toughest curve? You got little time and lots to study for (assuming you didn't do much studying before), so you got to prioritize and be efficient. It's all about yield.

I would say concentrate most of your times on your previous tests and homework problems. If you understand the concepts behind those yo will do fine.

Just read those notes and don't forget to LOL every few seconds

No time to LOL bro...nothings funny about having a ton of finals, and on top of that all-nighters

Go over main concepts from each chapter. Do a couple of practice problems. Then you can go over old tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think test strategy depends on the particular professor (maybe email your professor and see what (s)he thinks?)... everything that has been said should have been sort of obvious... cumulative finals do suck, I had two this semester as well (back to back). Best of luck to you :)

arent most finals cumulative though???in my 3 years of UG...ive only had a couple that werent cumulative....like music appreciation and tennis or some bs.

Freshmen year, my professor in Physics gave the class the BEST ADVICE. He said, "It you don't have to do good in my class. You just have to do better than the person next to you."

I hope you weren't sitting next to me ;)

Someone asked my Biochem Prof. what percentage was needed for a certain grade. She answered, "If you're running from a bear, you don't have to be able to outrun the bear. You just need to run faster than your friend."

Gotta love the curve.

I

Start coming up with a very good excuse to do the makeup.

Step 1: Learn how to spell cumulative
Step 2: Study

what have you been doing for the past semesters???? aren't all finals cumulative :confused:

anyways, i would just reread the notes you made for the midterms, and get a good night's sleep

also, DO PROBLEMS for physics

what have you been doing for the past semesters???? aren't all finals cumulative :confused:

anyways, i would just reread the notes you made for the midterms, and get a good night's sleep

also, DO PROBLEMS for physics
Well, some classes have final exams that are just the last test... lolz

num lalalala

Well, some classes have final exams that are just the last test... lolz

num lalalala
Yeah, those are a "few" the upper division GE's. Other than that, for a final to NOT be cumulative is almost unheard of.

Review your materials from the class. Study the tests and homework you have had over the semester. Attend review sessions. Try to identify what the key concepts are that are going to be stressed. Then look at them and figure out which ones you don't know and focus your study-time on your weak areas.

I would know everything in general but then focus on the stuff that was paid the most attention to and know details for that. Hopefully that will make your studying a little more efficient in a short amount of time.

No time to LOL bro...nothings funny about having a ton of finals, and on top of that all-nighters

Don't do all-nighters. I never understood why people pulled all-nighters. You will not be nearly as alert on the test (much more likely to make stupid mistakes), and you will not retain the information very well or be able to recall it as easily. Get sleep; it'll help you more.

Don't do all-nighters. I never understood why people pulled all-nighters. You will not be nearly as alert on the test (much more likely to make stupid mistakes), and you will not retain the information very well or be able to recall it as easily. Get sleep; it'll help you more.
I know why I pulled all nighters... b/c I didn't do any of my reading all semester. :laugh: I remember in molecular cell biology I had to read like 300 pages of molec cell and know in cold in a matter of days. That was hell.

ive never had that problem...if I knew I could sleep after the test, I had no problem pulling allnighters...By the time i got to the test I was running on adrenaline and red bull and it did me just fine

How did you study for finals last semester? Or are yours usually not cumulative?

Anyway, I generally find studying for finals to be fairly painless. I usually only spend a day or two preparing per final, around the same as a normal exam. Studying always seems like a daunting task because finals cover everything but reviewing generally doesn't take a long time. You may think you've already forgotten everything, but really haven't and recalling it is fairly easy.

That pretty much summarizes it. Look through your notes to make sure you know the concepts, but pretty much expect that the concepts emphasized on tests and homework are the most important concepts in the prof's mind, and will likely be on the final.

There's only so much space in an exam - just enough to fit the most important concepts in. And if a concept is important, your professor probably already tested you on it. So the best way to review for a cumulative finals is to review your previous tests.

There's only so much space in an exam - just enough to fit the most important concepts in. And if a concept is important, your professor probably already tested you on it. So the best way to review for a cumulative finals is to review your previous tests.

This is pretty much what I did in my classes. Of course, I spent much more time with the material I missed the first time around, but reviewing old tests provided the framework for my study.

I guess do what everyone else told you to do. look up old test and do some practice problems... Bio 2 cummalative final sucks so bad... All those taxonomy and classification problems ugh!

Ugh. My Bio 1 lab final was all taxonomy and classification. It wasn't cumulative.

Twenty five weird, obscure animals strewn about the lab. One hundred blank spots.

Any combination of the taxonomic ranks.

Of course, now I know how to classify a sea squirt. Yay.

Ugh. My Bio 1 lab final was all taxonomy and classification. It wasn't cumulative.

Twenty five weird, obscure animals strewn about the lab. One hundred blank spots.

Any combination of the taxonomic ranks.

Of course, now I know how to classify a sea squirt. Yay.

Thats how my bio 2 cumulative final was. Our bio 1 was all basic cell biology. Of course not nearly as complicated as an upper level cell biology class but it was all cell stuff and DNA synthesis and protein synthesis and all that.