Cumulative: 3.79; Science: 3.71; MCAT (about 35)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going to apply to medical school next year and my GPA should be about 3.79, I'm going to a conference or two next year to present some of my research findings (which may possibly be published). I've been taking practice MCATS and I've been consistently scoring a 35 score.

I know I shouldn't be worried but I have some withdrawals on my transcript and I know this may limit my options (although they're medical withdrawals).

I just need some help constructing a school list (I qualify for the FAP and therefore can apply to 15 schools for limited/zero fees).

Thanks you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a pretty concise description. Can you break down your EC's a bit more?

Also, a word of advice: it's unwise to assume that you will score well on the MCAT prior to actually taking it. It's a monster of a test and makes everyone nervous, even if they're normally very even-keeled. It seems more common to score below your practice average than it is to score above it, for instance. Don't get complacent with your studying due to practice test consistency.

2 Years volunteering at a local youth center
Shadowed 2 physicians for a total of about 4 months
Research for about 1.5 years
Honors college student/ club member
Helped my school place first in a national conference
Honors Thesis
Active at the med school in which I intend to apply (undergrad program)
Did some ER volunteer work
Volunteer work at a health clinic

I've also got assurances from 4 professor (and a volunteer coordinator) that they will be writing strong LORs: 2 science professors, 1 PI (I also took classes with him), a social sciences professor, my premed committee and a coordinator.

1: The MSAR is your friend. Use that to find schools in your ballpark.
2: I'd recommend waiting til you get your actual score. You can easily score much higher or much lower than your average (I scored over 3 points lower). So it's best to base your list on the actual score you get, no matter how accurate the AAMC tests may be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user