Cumulative GPA vs Retention GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cod3name

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about GPAs I thought you guys may be able to answer.

I am now back in college after a one year leave in which I had to get a full time job. My first semester of college I oh so intelligently didn't go to any classes and didn't drop any of those, so I have 9 credit hours of Fs. At this point I am doing good all As and whatnot, but those Fs will obviously hold me back at least GPA wise for a while. I'm going into my B.S. in psych with hopes to transfer to med school as was my plan before I had the year hiatus.

Do most med schools go by cumulative GPA were it will display those Fs or Retention GPA which I will have made them up? If cumulative, is this easily explainable?

Also, out of curiosity, I've heard not to take premed reqs at CC, but what about lower level such as your beginning BIO courses?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MD application takes everything including the F's, so they'll show up and they will hurt your GPA.

DO application has grade replacement. I'm not sure exactly how it works but look into it fo sho.

MD schools average makeups.

DO schools take the retake grade as THE grade.

If you don't make up the classes you failed, they will show up in your GPA regardless of which school you apply to.

Unless, you're talking about remedial courses to take in preparation for General Bio I and II, then the "intro bio" class is a prereq.

You currently attend a university. Take the prereqs there unless it's going to kill you financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying med schools take the average of the two classes or that they accept both grades?

I'm sure it varies by institution I'm just asking personal experience wise.

Average for MD. F and A = C

DO takes the retake grade, so if you failed a course, and then retook it for an A, DO schools will accept the A as the course grade.

Are you saying med schools take the average of the two classes or that they accept both grades?

I'm sure it varies by institution I'm just asking personal experience wise.

I'm pretty sure they count both grades. As in 3 credits of an F and 3 credits of an A will appear.

They don't re-evaluate your transcript and put 6 credits of a C.
Regardless, the math is the same, but they'll still see you initially received Fs.