Cumulative GPA vs. Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanilla_pudding

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on everything I've seen, it is quite common to have a cGPA > sGPA. What happens when the reverse is true? How is your application evaluated?

For example, someone with a 3.8 sGPA but only 3.65 cGPA--should they apply like they have a 3.65 or 3.8? It would potentially change the school list quite a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

So, my science GPA is higher than regular GPA as well, and when i asked the same question last year, I was told to go by sGPA, because for schools it is more important.

So, my science GPA is higher than regular GPA as well, and when i asked the same question last year, I was told to go by sGPA, because for schools it is more important.
When there is a gross disparity between the two (when sGPA < cGPA) average them and move 0.03 to the left to be on the same side.

Ie. I have a cGPA if a 3.65 and an sGPA of a 3.99. So the average is a 3.82, but I will be applying as though I have a 3.79.

Or, if you want to be even more cautious, just use the lower of the two. What I am doing with my school list is applying where my MCAT is good and my cGPA is >10th%.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)