CUNY city college post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I am considering applying to CUNY city college post bacc and wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with it. I am particularly interested in:

1. Acceptance rates to med school
2. How hard was it to register for classes? I am particularly interested in evening classes
3. Are they ok with students being part-time? On an accelerated track?

Thanks! I am also considering cheap programs in NYC that are still accepting students for the fall/spring,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -

I am considering applying to CUNY city college post bacc and wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with it. I am particularly interested in:

1. Acceptance rates to med school
2. How hard was it to register for classes? I am particularly interested in evening classes
3. Are they ok with students being part-time? On an accelerated track?

Thanks! I am also considering cheap programs in NYC that are still accepting students for the fall/spring,

I called them around this time last year to ask some of those questions, namely how hard it is to register for classes, and the women essentially TALKED ME OUT of going there. She basically made it sounds like it's impossible to get in to classes, because they have crazy high enrollment of undergrads, and they get preference. There is no support like you see in many other postbac programs, is what I took away from it.

I called them around this time last year to ask some of those questions, namely how hard it is to register for classes, and the women essentially TALKED ME OUT of going there. She basically made it sounds like it's impossible to get in to classes, because they have crazy high enrollment of undergrads, and they get preference. There is no support like you see in many other postbac programs, is what I took away from it.

Thanks for the input.

Any current students have anything to say on this? Is it possible to get into classes once students drop out after the first few weeks / first exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
HI! I am applying to the city post bac now for Spring 2014 and am curious what the story is w registering for classes? Is it really as hard as some people have said? Do you often get closed out of classes or just aren't guaranteed the time slot you wanted? How about summer classes, are these any easier/ harder?
THanks!
Lila

HI! I am applying to the city post bac now for Spring 2014 and am curious what the story is w registering for classes? Is it really as hard as some people have said? Do you often get closed out of classes or just aren't guaranteed the time slot you wanted? How about summer classes, are these any easier/ harder?
THanks!
Lila

All of the city schools have this difficulty with registering. Just be sure to enroll as a full-time second degree (declared major) student. That should help a bit with registration as well as financial aid if you need it. You can also take classes at the other CUNY campuses as well. Can't beat the price, that's for sure.

THanks!
Lila

Registering for classes can be stressful. Spots usually open up, but you have to be persistent. Check the course listing website frequently:

http://student.cuny.edu/cgi-bin/SectionMeeting/SectMeetColleges.pl

The good news for you is that there is no wait list for classes. So if you see an opening, you can take it. There is often add/drop activity on the first few days of classes too. It's stressful, but I have always been able to get what I wanted by being persistent. Being a second degree student (as mentioned earlier) is also a huge help -- you can register months earlier than non-degree students, which leaves a lot more time for you to find an opening.

I went there for a semester and hated it. It was a pain to register for classes and I couldn't just go whenever because I have to work as well. They also make it clear that you are pretty much not wanted there. Trying to get advisement or anything like that is really hard. When I was there Belinda Smith was the pre med person and she told me and couple of my friends that she didn't have time to meet with all us "floater" post baccs. It seems like we got last choice for all the classes, even as a 2nd degree student. I really didn't want all the stress of waiting until class starts to see who drops and hopefully get a class at a random time.

I have greatly enjoyed my time at CCNY. I would not have gone to Hunter because the serious research is here. Plus, if I may say so, I just got into a US MD program.

But a couple of things.

1. You need to have financial backing or a flexible job. The whole thing depends on being able to grab whatever slot is open. Sure you feel like taking calculus! Sure you can do a Thu. night lab! This takes cash money. Job worries were the worst part of the whole thing.

2. When I started in 2009, second degree students (of any kind) registered with the seniors. This is no more. I don't know how I would have finished without early registration.

3. Ms. Smith was not at all helpful to me. I passed on the committee letter.

4. If I were starting now, in view of all this, I would go to Brooklyn or Lehman or QC. I don't know how you can do it registering after all others. I am taking persistent and aggressive registration tactics into account.

WADR to alalia, google ccny web registration fall 2013 to see what the time slots are for the various classes. 2nd degree registers before non-degree, but after ALL OTHERS.

Edit: here's the registration appointments link. Make no mistake...between April 15th, when the seniors register, to April 23rd, when the second degree students register, everything really does get taken. I specify this because maybe you did not go to a large school undergrad. (I didn't.) The waiting lists themselves are tens of people long!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have greatly enjoyed my time at CCNY. I would not have gone to Hunter because the serious research is here. Plus, if I may say so, I just got into a US MD program.

But a couple of things.

1. You need to have financial backing or a flexible job. The whole thing depends on being able to grab whatever slot is open. Sure you feel like taking calculus! Sure you can do a Thu. night lab! This takes cash money. Job worries were the worst part of the whole thing.

2. When I started in 2009, second degree students (of any kind) registered with the seniors. This is no more. I don't know how I would have finished without early registration.

3. Ms. Smith was not at all helpful to me. I passed on the committee letter.

4. If I were starting now, in view of all this, I would go to Brooklyn or Lehman or QC. I don't know how you can do it registering after all others. I am taking persistent and aggressive registration tactics into account.

Yep, everything here is 100% true. Wish I would have started earlier but I didn't

I wish I did not do my post bacc here. Science classes are ten times harder here. Second degree students register after freshmen ( when I asked why,I was told because second degree students withdraw from classes that other students need), and the post bacc program is horrible. Everything stated about Belinda Smith is accurate. I have been given the run around and she basically talks you out of applying to the program. In all, go to another cuny, you will register with the seniors and I doubt their pre med advisement will be a hassle as it is here.