CUNY School of Medicine??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obscurity111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously not open for fall 2016 matriculation...CUNY med is basically an outgrowth of the Sophie Davis program (7-year BS/MD). Preliminary accreditation was just given so it'll be 2-3 years before it actually opens

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously not open for fall 2016 matriculation...CUNY med is basically an outgrowth of the Sophie Davis program (7-year BS/MD). Preliminary accreditation was just given so it'll be 2-3 years before it actually opens
You never know. California Northstate also just received preliminary accreditation and they're starting this Fall!
I wonder if this CUNY school will be a regular 4 year MD school or will it just be so that the Sophie Davis students (meaning BS/MD students) will just be able to complete their clinical years there as opposed to one of the partner schools they currently have. I believe that's one of the main reasons they applied for accreditation was so they could train their own students since so many of their partner schools are changing curricula and it clashes with the schedule of the Sophie Davis program at times.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be its own MD school with cheap tuition. It is not just an extension of Sophie Davis
Source: current Sophie Davis students

It will be its own MD school with cheap tuition. It is not just an extension of Sophie Davis
Source: current Sophie Davis students

What schools does Sophie Davis sent their students to? And how many students are there?

I always thought it was just downstate.

That's just unnecessarily rude and unhelpful. Thanks for the reply though.
Thank you. I'm curious of how their application process is done. Do they have to submit a through AMCAS?
Well, if you clicked the link and read up on Sophie Davis, it would be quite helpful. Your second question would also be answered immediately. The BS/MD program is entirely separate from AMCAS and done fully through the CUNY app system. (I applied in high school )

Well, if you clicked the link and read up on Sophie Davis, it would be quite helpful. Your second question would also be answered immediately. The BS/MD program is entirely separate from AMCAS and done fully through the CUNY app system. (I applied in high school )

I mean't how do schools pick which students they want.

What if you really wanted a particular school, do you have a higher chance of getting into the schools affiliated with the program?

And it's not so easy finding answers to these questions.

I mean't how do schools pick which students they want.

What if you really wanted a particular school, do you have a higher chance of getting into the schools affiliated with the program?

And it's not so easy finding answers to these questions.
You can only transfer to the schools affiliated with the program for your clinical years. Again, it is obvious that you have not even taken one second to read Sophie's bulletins. Which is fine, you have the right to be lazy and I have the right to call you out on it. If you had clicked the first link on Google from my lmgtfy, you would have seen this information. :rolleyes: You would've also seen that Sophie kids still need to interview at the schools and go through a shortened process.

You can only transfer to the schools affiliated with the program for your clinical years. Again, it is obvious that you have not even taken one second to read Sophie's bulletins. Which is fine, you have the right to be lazy and I have the right to call you out on it. If you had clicked the first link on Google from my lmgtfy, you would have seen this information. :rolleyes: You would've also seen that Sophie kids still need to interview at the schools and go through a shortened process.

And you obviously didn't answer my question .

Im asking so I don't have to go through links. You can find the answer to anything on Google. If you are so hung up on being snide and proving yourself right, you don't have to respond you know. Let someone else answer.

And you obviously didn't answer my question
emoji9.png
Did so. They can only transfer to the participating schools. They rank their preferences and then interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you.
the ****ty part is that some people are weeded out of the program before it comes time to be matched and others don't get matched at all and have to wait a year to match again. not a grand slam as people think

the ****ty part is that some people are weeded out of the program before it comes time to be matched and others don't get matched at all and have to wait a year to match again. not a grand slam as people think

I'm sure it's better than going through AMCAS. that was a pain. But I would still go through with the traditional route, if I had to go through with it all again. I didn't even apply because it was in the city. I needed to get out of NYC.

I'm sure it's better than going through AMCAS. that was a pain. But I would still go through with the traditional route, if I had to go through with it all again. I didn't even apply because it was in the city. I needed to get out of NYC.
it's also not worth the rigid curriculum. It's a brutal thing they put you through and honestly it's because the kids they take are not the best of the best so they need to make sure the science is beat into them. kinda dumb

it's also not worth the rigid curriculum. It's a brutal thing they put you through and honestly it's because the kids they take are not the best of the best so they need to make sure the science is beat into them. kinda dumb

I couldn't imagine picking students to be doctors right out of high school. The student couldn't possible make an informed decision or understand what he or she is getting themselves into. There's so much to learn about other fields and about yourself before you commit your entire life to something.

I couldn't imagine picking students to be doctors right out of high school. The student couldn't possible make an informed decision or understand what he or she is getting themselves into. There's so much to learn about other fields and about yourself before you commit your entire life to something.
they vet the students with the same rigor as the regular MD applicants. I got into PLME at Brown and REMS at Rochester 6 years ago (also applied to BU, Sophie, Drexel, Stony Brook), and we were grilled

And yet that's how it's done in the rest of the world. Not saying it's better or worse, but it works.

Reactions: 1 user
it's a shame that they're not affiliated with dartmouth and stony brook anymore
thought they were also affiliated with upstate but i guess not
how are they going to have enough spots though? i know they had an issue with finding placement for some of their students a while ago
the issue continues
Dartmouth reportedly (rumors) dropped them because the kids they were getting were not of good enough quality

Basically the way I see it, until CUNY is ready for AMCAS applicants they will carry over their sophie students into the clinical portion of med school, which is what sophie lacked and hence had to transfer students to accredited schools. Sophie Davis has 5 class-years that can go into the clinical portion before they open up for AMCAS. I'm assuming until they are AMCAS ready, they will continue to implement their current admissions process, i.e. high school students applying to Sophie Davis/CUNY School of Medicine.

I also think this school is going to be different than most schools because it is highly driven to serve those whose who are underserved, particularly in NY. Focus extremely on community service. They also accept a lot of minorities.

Basically the way I see it, until CUNY is ready for AMCAS applicants they will carry over their sophie students into the clinical portion of med school, which is what sophie lacked and hence had to transfer students to accredited schools. Sophie Davis has 5 class-years that can go into the clinical portion before they open up for AMCAS. I'm assuming until they are AMCAS ready, they will continue to implement their current admissions process, i.e. high school students applying to Sophie Davis/CUNY School of Medicine.

I also think this school is going to be different than most schools because it is highly driven to serve those whose who are underserved, particularly in NY. Focus extremely on community service. They also accept a lot of minorities.
I think so too...(but, it would be a lot more cheaper than other med schools)

I think so too...(but, it would be a lot more cheaper than other med schools)
yah, but cheaper tuition comes at a price. it is not a secret that Sophie Davis has had trouble with its students keeping up

Sophie students dont have to take the MCATS also; Applying from HS is a lot easier way to get in IMO.

I recently heard of this. No idea this was happening. And Sophie Davis is a competitive program to get into for sure, don't downplay it guys. I know someone who went there is and now is a fellow in a competitive field.

Also, I have heard that too. They are not required to take the MCAT but it's still one of the highest regarded direct programs out of high school in the Greater NY area.

This has probably already been said but I am hoping to add: the CUNY Medical School is an expansion of the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education. Only students who have been accepted to the Sophie Davis School of Biomed Ed will be permitted to apply to the new CUNY Medical School. Sophie David Biomed at CCNY is a BS/MD program that students can only enter as HS seniors starting college as freshman for the first time. You cannot transfer into Sophie, you also cannot apply to Sophie as a post-bac. It will be several years before the CUNY Medical School will begin accepting applications for non-Sophie students. Sophie receives about 900 applications for about 95 seats; it is profoundly competitive. At one time in the history of Sophie there were many minority (underrepresented) students who applied, were accepted and are now practicing MDs; but these days, not so much.

This has probably already been said but I am hoping to add: the CUNY Medical School is an expansion of the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education. Only students who have been accepted to the Sophie Davis School of Biomed Ed will be permitted to apply to the new CUNY Medical School. Sophie David Biomed at CCNY is a BS/MD program that students can only enter as HS seniors starting college as freshman for the first time. You cannot transfer into Sophie, you also cannot apply to Sophie as a post-bac. It will be several years before the CUNY Medical School will begin accepting applications for non-Sophie students. Sophie receives about 900 applications for about 95 seats; it is profoundly competitive. At one time in the history of Sophie there were many minority (underrepresented) students who applied, were accepted and are now practicing MDs; but these days, not so much.

I think the med school will start accepting applicants in 2016 though. You CAN transfer into sophie davis I believe, IF you have less than a certain amount of credits. However, the same old rules still apply as in you must be a resident of NY state for at least a year [i think].

Unfortunately, it seems that other schools are moving towards similar enrollment schemas. I have heard that Mount Sinai will soon accept a substantial amount of their students from their pipeline program, leaving far fewer spots available for the traditional applicant.

I will be attending Sophie Davis this year and from what I've heard everything said here is correct about the med school only being accessible to students in the program. I'll ask for more details

And you know what they call the person who graduates last in the Akron medical school class?

Well doesn't SD recruit really hard from the NYC area? I went to school in Philly and you'd think Philadelphia was rural Kansas for all the bitching you'd hear from the New Yorkers. I can only imagine how HORRIBLE Ohio must be for such well-adjusted high class NYers.

Reactions: 3 users
I will be attending Sophie Davis this year and from what I've heard everything said here is correct about the med school only being accessible to students in the program. I'll ask for more details

Any update on this? Thanks!

Up until now it's officially going to start with the fourth year students and will only be for the Sophie Davis students. Other than that the curriculum is going to be organ based and there aren't any MCATs required.

Any update on this? Thanks!

Up until now it's officially going to start with the fourth year students and will only be for the Sophie Davis students. Other than that the curriculum is going to be organ based and there aren't any MCATs required.

Interesting... thanks for the quick reply!

When they are going to start taking applicants from other institutions?