Curious how many interview invites and rejections so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerealeater2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the US applicants, I am curious as to how many interviews and rejections you have received so far?

Members don't see this ad.

14 interviews (mix of mid-lower tier and mid-upper tier university and hybrid programs) and 2 rejections (one big name university, one mid-tier hybrid program)

5 interviews, 3 rejections ---I'm a DO student.

Members don't see this ad :)
9 MD (mostly community), 7 DO, 1 rejection

Reactions: 1 user
14 interviews (mix of mid-lower tier and mid-upper tier university and hybrid programs) and 2 rejections (one big name university, one mid-tier hybrid program)
9, 6 lower tier, 3 academic programs, 2 rejections. The ones I want I am still patiently waiting. Couples matching, making this so much more stressful.

Last edited:
Did anyone interview at Hackensack in North Bergen, NJ? Any tips?

15 (mostly mid-lower tier & mid-upper tier, 1 big name, a couple community). 1 rejection. Still anxiously waiting to hear from a few :confused:

15 (mostly mid-lower tier & mid-upper tier, 1 big name, a couple community). 1 rejection. Still anxiously waiting to hear from a few :confused:
Update, have 15 II, Canceled 2 in NYC (and same as FDOCZ3, mostly mid-tier, 5 academics, a few community safeties). 5 rejections, mostly from community programs.

Thought I would be more competitive at some of the upper tier, but not AOA, so I guess I am not. Programs are relating they received close to 1,000 applications for less than 1 dozen spots. YIKES, but I guess if we all interview at 10-15 places, that adds to the churn. Couples matching, so applied to over 40 programs, with only 8 matches so far with SO (different specialty), a little anxious. May be canceling some interviews that I can't match at.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone from previous years could weigh in on this. Currently sitting on 7 II (6 mid tier, 1 top tier) with Step 1 mid 230's, Step 2CK low 250's, from average U.S. medical school. Have not heard any news from any programs in about a week and starting to get worried.
Do most of the mid tier and top tier programs still send interviews into late October or even November? Sorry in advance for the anxiety haha, just not sure what to expect here

~ 20 overall
  • Mostly mid-tier academic, some mid-tier hybrids, a few community, and a few "top" tier academic
  • Still waiting to hear back from most
  • ~5 outright rejections (half from "top" tier, others from rando others)

Wondering if anyone from previous years could weigh in on this. Currently sitting on 7 II (6 mid tier, 1 top tier) with Step 1 mid 230's, Step 2CK low 250's, from average U.S. medical school. Have not heard any news from any programs in about a week and starting to get worried.
Do most of the mid tier and top tier programs still send interviews into late October or even November? Sorry in advance for the anxiety haha, just not sure what to expect here
I made a spreadsheet from 2016 SDN reported interview distributions. Not perfect, but is a good gauge of when programs offer interviews. Most of my interviews followed the 2016 cadence, with the exception of 3. I have rec'd interviews from places after the initial interview wave went out. Cancelled 2 II in NYC.

Seems MA, CA are later than midwest. I applied to more than 40, have 15 II, 5 rejections, leaving more than 1/2 with no response yet. Was getting one interview invite a day through Early Oct, now 1 interview invite a week, really slowing down, but getting the upper tier later than the mid-tiers. I am only counting on a max of 3 more II from followup emails to PD and shaking the faculty tree, the rest I am assuming are rejections. For what this is worth.

Last edited:
I have 22 invites and 3 rejections for general surgery, which is way more than I was expecting, but applied to 51 programs since I'm couples matching. I plan to cancel probably 3 of them, but couples matching makes it a lot harder :(

~ 20 overall
  • Mostly mid-tier academic, some mid-tier hybrids, a few community, and a few "top" tier academic
  • Still waiting to hear back from most
  • ~5 outright rejections (half from "top" tier, others from rando others)

What are you saying is mid-tier vs. top-tier etc? Are you basing it on doximity rankings?

For the US applicants, I am curious as to how many interviews and rejections you have received so far?

I am confused to see the number of interviews posted here in comparison with the main thread.

Then I´ll ask another question, How many invitations to interview? How many interviews going? and how many rejections so far?

What are you saying is mid-tier vs. top-tier etc? Are you basing it on doximity rankings?

Is there a rigorous way to quantify?

In general, in my mind...

Top-tier academic = top 10-15 programs on "most lists"... MGH, BWH, JHU, UCSF, Stanford, UTSW, Duke, NYP-Columbia, UW (Seattle), etc.
Mid-tier academic = most other university programs
Low-tier academic = some university programs that have a poorer reputation for whatever reason

Mid-tier hybrid = most "community"-based affiliates of university programs (eg, U-Florida at Jacksonville, Baylor University Medical Center, others)

Community = all not associated with university program

Basically I'm just making it up to give a general sense of what types of programs have let me know and which haven't (eg, most wouldn't put University of Missouri as a "top tier" program, but there is no question it is a fine place to train, and therefore qualifies as a "mid-tier" program). I wasn't trying to be rigorous about this, was just trying to convey a sense to others.

I am confused to see the number of interviews posted here in comparison with the main thread.

Then I´ll ask another question, How many invitations to interview? How many interviews going? and how many rejections so far?

I have gotten 21 invitations to interview and 5 rejections. I have cancelled 4 interviews for a total of 17 interviews. I haven't heard back from a lot of programs, including some that I'm very interested in. I'm hoping to pick up a few more invitations and then I will cancel any interviews that conflict with each other.

Rejection from Vanderbilt, here is the excerpt from the letter:

"For our 8 categorical positions, we have received ~1100 applications from US graduates and ~ 500 applications from International Medical Graduates. We offer interviews to about 80 candidates plus our own students."

This is another example of programs getting over 1000 apps for 6- 10 spots. Holy Moly, I guess I am glad for the 15 interviews I got, as the field is crowded.

12 invitations (50% mid-tier academic 50% mid-tier hybrid)
2 canceled due to scheduling conflicts :(
3 waitlists
5 rejections

Update, have 16 II, Canceled 2 in NYC, mostly mid-tier academic programs, a few community programs. May cancel a few more, as I am couples matching.
9 rejections, mostly from community programs and top tier programs, and absolutely no love west of the Mississippi! Definitely regional bias against this Midwesterner in the West, lots of Midwest and East Coast interest though.