What time did you arrive and did you pass?

• 30+ minutes early - Passed

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 15-30 minutes early - Passed

• 0-15 minutes early - Passed

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Late - Passed

• 30+ Minutes early - failed

• 15-30 minutes early - failed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0-15 minutes early - failed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Late - failed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigSib

Rural Family Dr
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
There are some pretty objective criteria used to grade the PE, so I don't understand what arriving early has to do with bias. To think they'd just pass you because you came early is laughable. What about a potential confounding variable of those who come early may be more prepared?

Reactions: spik
Jul 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
As someone who is going to retake their exam due to a failed humanistic domain, my heart truly goes out to anyone that failed the exam. I completely disagree with the objective criteria with regards to the humanistic domain.

For whatever its worth, I arrived about 1+ hour early, stayed in the miserable marriott hotel next to the train and managed to fail. Complete shocker for me and I have been quite devastated since. I wish everyone all the best on the retake.

OP
T
Dec 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
There are some pretty objective criteria used to grade the PE, so I don't understand what arriving early has to do with bias. To think they'd just pass you because you came early is laughable. What about a potential confounding variable of those who come early may be more prepared?
I agree. I do not think there is any bias. You are also correct with your statement on "a potential confounding variable." However, with survey limitations, I could only pick one variable. I chose arrival time because it is quantifiable and some have suggested that it plays into 1st impressions.

If the survey is answered accurately, I would say that it would have material statistical power to rule out the potential for bias. However, a positive result would not have statistical power to say that there is bias. Sort of like ordering a D-dimer for a PE if you know what I mean.