Curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get into a school and decide to defer for a year, are you allowed to apply to other schools during the year that you're deferred?

Members don't see this ad.

mashce said:
If you get into a school and decide to defer for a year, are you allowed to apply to other schools during the year that you're deferred?

No, I believe AMCAS prevents you.

On a related note, how hard is it to defer anyway? Do you have to have a "legitimate" reason for the school to consider it? Or can I tell them the truth...I really feel like I need some time off before starting med school.

I'm not sure that I do want to defer, just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
mashce said:

I've heard of someone deferring a year and applying to one school they REALLY wanted to go to and got in. I think they really had to talk to the first school that let them in to accomodate the request though.

karat said:
On a related note, how hard is it to defer anyway? Do you have to have a "legitimate" reason for the school to consider it? Or can I tell them the truth...I really feel like I need some time off before starting med school.

I'm not sure that I do want to defer, just curious.

I don't think you can assume that a school will let you defer as a matter of right. Schools have a limited number of seats and it throws off the who admissions process if peoply try to matriculate for a subsequent year, so most schools have limited circumstances in which they allow deferral. Some school websites are explicit in the few circumstances for which they allow deferrals. Thus if you know you are going to want a year off, you usually really need to not apply in that cycle in the first place (which is smarter anyhow, as you can use the experiences of that off year in your application). As for deferring for a year and applying during the off year elsewhere, I'm pretty sure its against the rules.