Current (113th Congress) Residency Shortage Proposed Legislation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this hasn't been posted yet please take a look.

In general, the current proposed legislation calls for approximately 3,000 new residency positions per year for about 5 years for a total of 15,000 new residency slots.

S. 577
H.R. 1180
H.R 1201

Members don't see this ad.

Well I guess all that jazz about IMGs not being able to match after 2015 can go out the window.

And great! Just as tuition reaches an all-time high, they turn on the supply tap! I can't wait to be 40 and have trained for 40,000 hours so I can compete with Sudan's "top" medical graduates for 90k per year hospitalist gigs! But hey, I'll still be happy and grateful because with all that training, I will be the best doctor for my patients that I can be.

A little more detail, for those who'd rather not dig:

Half of the new residency positions will be in "shortage specialties" -- areas identified in this report as having projected physician requirements that exceed supply. Based on the tables on pp. 71-72, those are: family practice, cardiology, "other internal medicine" (looks like this refers to every IM specialty except cardiology), general surgery, ophthalmology, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, anaesthesiology, pathology, psychiatry, and radiology.

Priority goes to hospitals associated with new medical schools (established in 2000 or later), hospitals that are already operating over their resident limit, and hospitals that emphasize training in community health centers or outpatient departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I guess all that jazz about IMGs not being able to match after 2015 can go out the window.

And great! Just as tuition reaches an all-time high, they turn on the supply tap! I can't wait to be 40 and have trained for 40,000 hours so I can compete with Sudan's "top" medical graduates for 90k per year hospitalist gigs! But hey, I'll still be happy and grateful because with all that training, I will be the best doctor for my patients that I can be.

That's a bit hyperbolic

Funny how all of the ROAD specialties are in shortage.

None of the three bills has any chance of passing especially with no Republican of consequence sponsoring and supporting it. Relax, top Sudanese doctor won't be competing for your job anytime soon.

lol @ a bunch of premeds hoping residency spots stay limited

Reactions: 3 users
Funny how all of the ROAD specialties are in shortage.

None of the three bills has any chance of passing especially with no Republican of consequence sponsoring and supporting it. Relax, top Sudanese doctor won't be competing for your job anytime soon.

I can see how you noticed no Republican sponsored the bills, but how do you know none of them support it.

I guess it did get sent to committee...which it where bills go to die.

I'll still be happy and grateful because with all that training
MhX8nd

lol @ a bunch of premeds hoping residency spots stay limited

As a medical student, you wouldn't be worried about a large increase in residencies leading to an eventual "glut" of doctors in the future?

I mean, look at pharmacy. They said there was this huge shortage of them and thus new schools opened up like crazy. Today you can't pass by the pharmacy board without seeing a thread about how pharmacy is getting as bad as the glut of lawyers. I am genuinely interested though what medical students, residents and attending have to say on the matter.

As a medical student, you wouldn't be worried about a large increase in residencies leading to an eventual "glut" of doctors in the future?

I mean, look at pharmacy. They said there was this huge shortage of them and thus new schools opened up like crazy. Today you can't pass by the pharmacy board without seeing a thread about how pharmacy is getting as bad as the glut of lawyers. I am genuinely interested though what medical students, residents and attending have to say on the matter.
you think 15,000 total spots distributed over a dozen specialties is a large increase?

I can see how you noticed no Republican sponsored the bills, but how do you know none of them support it.

I guess it did get sent to committee...which it where bills go to die.

I'm just assuming, since it's been stuck in committee for 7 months now probably due to the lack of Republican support. It is curious however S577 isn't getting out of the finance committee, especially with Harry Reid and multiple democratic finance committee members sponsoring the bill.