Air Force Current AD officer seeking to cross-flow into medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiiperson11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently an AD Force Support Officer trying cross-flow into medical to become a Mental Health Counselor. I've been in the AF for about 2 years and have recently decided to pursue a Masters in Mental Health Counseling. I'm hoping to apply for Grad school, apply for the HPSP program, and be released from my AFSC. Has anyone heard of an officer cross-flowing into medical from a non-rated position? I'm not fully aware of the manning issues MDG is having, but I do hear that it is pretty difficult to keep officers within the medicial side of the AF.

I'm also curious if this process is something that can realistically happen. Should I finish up my service commitment, get out, reapply...or have the AF release me from my current career...

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It can never hurt to ask. I have experience with an inter-service transfer (USMC to USN) prior to commissioning so not like your situation at all, but I think the same advice holds true for you as it did for me back then...

It can’t hurt to ask. It is completely up to your chain of command and your current manning needs combined with manning needs of Air Force medical. I never advocate for recruiters, but if you find a good medical recruiter they will know how to get you switched over (if it is possible). It’s a bunch of paperwork that only those guys have experience with.

If the AF won’t release you then worst case is you finish your commitment and reapply.