Current AZCOMers, a few questions....

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by lucky9999, Nov 13, 2002.

1. lucky9999

lucky9999 Junior Member

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I was just going to ask the same questions. Please share!

Fred

4. sport

sport Senior Member

Lucky,

I thought I would try and answer a few of your questions. There are a few people in each class who own homes, this includes myself, most of us live near school on the west side and the commute is minimal. Mine is only minutes. I know of some people living towards south pheonix, where there is a lot of renovation of what used to be pretty bad areas; however, if you can get in seems to be a pretty good investment. Furthermore I think the commute is not much over 30 minutes, if that, b/c you are going the opposite way of traffic in the a.m. The west side is growing endlessly and is also worth looking into as far as real estate investment.

As far as the OMM, I am an MS-1 and not real familiar with other school, so I don't have much of a comparison. However, I have been impressed with our OMM department thus far. We have an excellent staff who go out of there way to help you learn. Our in class time is 4 hours once per week, though it seems like a large stretch all at once, you will quickly learn it is not, b/c they are throwing a lot of technique/skills at you to cram into a fairly small amount of time. OMM deserves out of class time to help you improve. We also have a club that holds weekly review sessions to allow us some organized practice time to go over material.

Lastly, I cannot speak for the support group thing, however, I believe there is a campus group called family matters for couples, and I think any type of spousal support group would be through them. As far as the preceptors go, it has been an excellent experience, I have only heard of 1 out of 140 people wanting to switch preceptors. Many of us are getting a lot of hands on experience learning to apply what little we know. As well as it is a great break from the weekly class room grind.

I hope this helps, sorry it was so loang winded.

JD, MS-1 AZCOM

5. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    For those who live in campus, how do you like it? I am currently looking for an apartment for next year and I am comparing campus housing with those off campus. From what I've seen on the internet, it seems like I can get more bang for the buck off campus as far as amenities and space goes. However, I am a single guy who does not have the need for alot of space. Are there any drawbacks to living on campus?

Fred

6. kristing

kristing Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Hi I'm an MS2 at AZCOM.

I also belong to Family Matters - a support group/club for those of us with spouses, significant others, and/or kids. We just got it going at the end of last year, but we are a decent support network (I think).

We (husband, child and I) live in Mesa, which is the East Valley. We rent a house (from my mom- cheap, couldn't pass it up), and my commute is 37 miles one way, which sounds hideous, but it totally the opposite way of rush hour so my commute time is only 45 minutes. I felt it was a good choice to pay cheaper rent, have better schools for my kid, and live in what I think is a far superior area. Others may disagree with me. I grew up here and I think the East side is much better. I wouldn't take a chance with a West Valley School. Too likely to get a bad roll of the dice. (I am totally biased, can you tell?)

I guess the house buying thing is really about how much you want to spend and where you are willing to live and what you are willing to live in. You can easily get a decent, nice house, for between $100K and $150K. But I don't know if that is more than you expected. It seems as if rents anywhere near AZCOM are super inflated and you can get a decent house within a 15 mile radius for a comparable monthly payment. I know several people who have bought houses. Several have bought them in Suprise, which is a newish suburb about 15-20 minutes more West. You can get new houses there for around $120K, I believe. Or maybe even less.

Good luck!