current AZCOMers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kristing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it's kind of lame that Poznanski is going to University of Michigan for medical school and not a DO school? She always struck me as being so hippiesh... Does anyone know what her goals are? Does she want to stick with academia and research? Or actually practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. W. Devine said that the reason she was going MD instead of DO was that she got her application stuff in too late at MSU. I find that a bit hard to believe, since she seems to be a rather organized person. Also, she was admitted to AZCOM (possibly some other DO schools too). IMHO she may have perceived Michigan and its degree to be more prestigious.

She was listed on our Little Bro/Sis list of incoming students, so I'd guess she accepted a slot and paid her deposit. I wonder if she had concerns about the fact that she's likely seen most of the questions in the test banks.

I am glad she's going to a research institution...I imagine the first two years would be murderously dull for her otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, Dr. P. wanted to move back to Michigan to be with her family. I think her Dad has serious health problems and the clock may be ticking. In the end, I think location was the biggest factor for her. She has always been supportive of the osteopathic profession and will continue to be a great advocate for the profession. I think she has an osteopathic mentality/approach to health care, even if she doesn't have the initials behind her name.

mkmgal said:
From what I've heard, Dr. P. wanted to move back to Michigan to be with her family. I think her Dad has serious health problems and the clock may be ticking. In the end, I think location was the biggest factor for her. She has always been supportive of the osteopathic profession and will continue to be a great advocate for the profession. I think she has an osteopathic mentality/approach to health care, even if she doesn't have the initials behind her name.

That is exactly what I hear...from AZCOM faculty.

I had no idea about this, but good for her.

Dr. P was always one of the most accessible and approachable pre-clinical profs. The program will miss her.

"Does anyone else think it's kind of lame that Poznanski is going to University of Michigan for medical school and not a DO school?"

What about the fact that Dr. P was brilliant and The University of Michigan is a great school. No offense to all my other AZCOM'ers out there, but when comparing the reputation and quality of medical training (compare the match) of AZCOM and The University of Michigan, I think we would come up somewhat short.

kristing said:
Does anyone else think it's kind of lame that Poznanski is going to University of Michigan for medical school and not a DO school?
Last time I checked DO school was a type of medical school. :eek:

bla_3x said:
That is exactly what I hear...from AZCOM faculty.

Yep, I second this statement. It's not simply from the rumor mill. Her family situation is driving her decision.

Come on folks, it's none of our business why or where she's going. We all enjoyed her instruction and we wish her well, leave it at that.

Wow, you guys are harsh. Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to say our school wasn't a medical school. It came out wrong.

If she is moving to Michigan to be close to her family, good for her. But, recall, there is MSU there, so I was a little befuddled by her choice to go MD vs DO. I was also curious if her desire was to do more academic/research work when she was done (which would of course support the whole U of M choice).

I liked her too, people. I just thought it odd that we got no official word about it from admin or the antomy department (you all heard via class, we're in rotations, we don't get announcements from instructors). And also that she was at first on the little sibling list, then that she was moving to Michigan but not going to MSU-COM. I had no idea of any intense family situation.

And John Dodd, my goodness. You can send one heck of a nasty litte PM.

We can kill this thread now before I get any more flames shot at me.

kristing said:
We can kill this thread now before I get any more flames shot at me.

Yeah. Everyone here seems a little pissy.

Personally I would think that teaching at AZCOM, then attending it as a student, would be kind of weird. People would know her whole story and either be stupidly intimidated by her or climb up her butt for freebie tutoring/help. I wouldn't think it would be pleasant for her. I wouldn't do it. Plus it would be awkward to be a student of a professor who was once your peer and colleague.

She'll get a fresh start at a new school, and even better for her that she's able to go close to her family, especially if they are going through some hard times. She's pretty cool and it's too bad for AZCOM to lose her, but I think it's so awesome what she's doing.

i too wish her the best...she was always so kind to me...she will be missed...this is starting to sound like an obituary:) but in all seriousness, she was a great professor and it was a very positive experience for me to be one of her students.
i am really disappointed that i won't be able to go to venezuela with her!
...and i see no need for flaming pm's :(