Current bio undergrad-what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamie H

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior biology major and am planning on taking a year off after I graduate in 2014 before (hopefully) going to med school. I know I can ask my advisor, etc. but I was just curious to see what other people thought of my chances of getting into med school are based on what I've done so far. I am a transfer student (2 years comm. college first) and my current gpa is a 3.79 for my university and I plan to bring it up to at least a 3.9. My Gpa for my community college was 3.65 but I don't know which med school cares about more? I am also a volunteer in the ER at a local hospital and have an internship working with genomics/bioinformatics at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia currently. I am starting Hospital of U-penn's Pre-med volunteer program in may and am going to be a clinical research associate at Thomas Jefferson Hospital in september. If I keep working for a higher gpa (or keep it at around 3.8), will my application look good for med school?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're looking pretty good. Your CC GPA is still an important factor, but med schools like to see an upward trend in grades. If you are able to do well your Senior year, I don't think GPA with a big concern. Your ECs seem good, but some areas that could use improvement are leadership and working with underprivileged communities. Your last real hurdle is the MCAT. Make sure you devote enough time (3ish months of heavy studying) to it, and only take it when you are ready. Shoot for something above a 32.