Current Biology major (freshman year) pre-Optometry student in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison11011

Reaction score
rgeqge

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I think you can be a good candidate for most programs! But in my opinion, optometry schools ultimately only really care for a good GPA/OAT score. Volunteering and even optometric experiences come second for many schools. But those factors help if your academic record is not very strong. Also, you are only a freshman. Sooo many things are going to factor into your applications in the next 3 years. Until you know your OAT score, you really can't tell how competitive of an applicant you are for programs.

For now, I suggest sticking with the few experiences you are passionate about but also making sure to keep your GPA above 3.0. That said, I have heard of many students below 3.0 getting into programs (but that is usually because of a strong OAT and extracurriculars).

Hope this helps, and message me with any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't overwhelm yourself too much! I can tell you are passionate and determined, and that will get you places. Don't be discouraged, you have a lot of time to prepare! It really does come down to the OAT score and overall GPA, and the schools will let you explain any inconsistencies if you need to.

I also don't think schools really make a big distinction between working and volunteering/shadowing. You working as full-time optometric technician shows that you are dedicated to immersing yourself in the field and can be much more beneficial than just volunteering/shadowing.

As far as extracurriculars, get involved with anything you're interested in! College is a period of personal discovery and growth, and optometry schools will look beyond your academic statistics. They'll want to get to know you as a person, not just as student, to ultimately decide if their program is a good fit for you.

Give yourself some credit, you got this!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I am new to the community as this is my very first post. I am in my second semester of my undergrad degree in Biology Concentration (pre-optometry), My first semester of college was a train wreck. I had obtained a job as an optometric technician at a local practice, whilst studying full time (18 credit hours). My house flooded in Imelda and completely derailed my progress, I failed ENG 1, and HIS 1 as i could not attend class. I was in a situation where my family needed me home to rebuild. I focused my limited freetime on my important classes BIO 1 (major) and math. I also had a film app. class I aced without even trying and other misc. core classes. From that semester i gained a 1.8 gpa which later got lifted because I explained my situation to an advisor. The 2 classes i failed where taken off my record and my gpa switched to a 2.9 as i made a C in BIO. This semester i am retaking my HIS class, and taking BIO 2, and Math. I have made my schedule for the fall semester and have 17 credit hours with my chosen classes. I anticipate making As and probably one B on the current semester, so I am wondering if my increased grades for this semester will help my current 2.9 gpa. Also As of before the virus outbreak i went to school from 8am-12:30 then i went to work from 1pm-6pm every day sunday being my only day off, My tight schedule limits my options for volunteering, and extra curricular activities. I do participate with an app that lets you videocall and assist the visually challenged complete various tasks. I am concerned that my lack of volunteering will effect my eligibility. As far as shadowing goes, I will shadow the doctors i work for when we are not busy and I am not needed, usually 10-30 minute intervals at a time, i keep notes and track of the time with a journal. I have also had an advising appt. with the University of Houston college of Optometry, where i was given a tour and made a name for myself and got several of the school's staffs phone numbers. which I feel will help me down the road. ( I am a limitedly active member with the pre optometry society at my school) I have also asked the doctors i used to work for to shadow them if my schedule allows it. I want to join the Biology society of my school to gain a leadership role within the org. but I cant apply until next semester as I need to be in an advanced BIO class. ----- That is my story so far and if anyone has any comments/ advice I would love to hear from you all! My family has no connections with anyone in a professional field so im learning as i go. Thank you for so much for reading all the way through!

I think you are already doing great things with making the advising appointment and working on improving grades.
Most schools allow you to submit a letter in your application explaining any extenuating circumstances, which will be helpful for you.

that's really a lot of works to do lol. I feel like you're pushing yourself too much, but if you're fine with it, keep the good work! My advice is to get rid of some of the activities that is not related to optometry. such as the film making, or the visual help volunteer thing. You can still talk about it in your resume, but you don't need to do those all 4 years of your college. And probably cut your job into half time(if allowed financially) to give yourself more time to deal with the harder and harder science classes in the future. First two years of college were only basic things, the harder courses will come in the last two years lol.
I have to be honest that gpa in your first semester will be a big draw back to your overall evoluation, but your experience with the doctors and optometrist can counter that. Don't overwhelming yourself, save some strength to study and play. Enjoy the college life while you can and try boost your GPA.
Also, personally, I think take some philosophy classes or bioethics classes will help greatly on your interview. Get close to professors, spam them with good questions and thoughts. Those classes are as easy as the film-making ones but you will learn a lot from'em

Status
Not open for further replies.