Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Current CCOM students please help!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by grkbuckeye, Feb 20, 2002.

1. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member

Can any current CCOM students tell me where a good area to live in is? (Apartment names or towns?) Also, is it necessary to move for your third year to go to Olympia Fields? Is their a good place to live inbetween so you dont have to mve? please let me know?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

Finding a place in the Downers Grove area may be tough because rent tends to be fairly high.. I suggest checking out apartments in Oak Park or in the western portion of Chicago. Rent is reasonable in these areas and Oak Park has a very hip community setting. If you are looking for a long-term setting, I suggest finding a place closer to the heart of Chicago. Also, you do not necessarily have to live close to Olympia Fields during your 3rd and 4th years because you will be doing rotations everywhere, including hospitals such as Cook County, St Francis(?), and UIC. There are plenty of different communities for you to check out in the Chicagoland area, and it really depends what you are looking for. Check out <a href="http://chicago.citysearch.com/" target="_blank">Citysearch's Chicago Website</a> if you want more information about the available communities and to get a better visualation of how Chicago's really like.

Wasabi

4. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member

Thanks Wasabi! I've been looking in areas like Willowbrook, Lisle, and Downers Grove. If I live closer to the city won't I have to deal with crazy traffic in the morning making my trip to school VERY long?? Are the areas you mentioned for doing rotations (UIC, etc..) downtown?

5. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member

sorry, i forgot to ask this... Can you think of an area that someone could live in and not have to move for all 4 years?

6. maphilips

maphilips Member

I am planning on moving to Lombard, which is only 1.5 miles from the campus. The place I was interested in has a health club and allows large dogs, among other modern stuff. The rent should be less than $1000 per month. Consider I do have a wife who works, though.
    Concerning traffic, you will deal with plenty if you come from OP or the city. Living near Downers Grove does not mean you will move in two years. Most of the rotations should be less than 30-45 minute commute. Every expressway in Chicago practically passes through that area.

7. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member

I've been looking within 15 min of campus and i've found rents for $700. Considering my wife and I both are starting medschool together at CCOM $1000 is kinda high. Needless to say neither of us will be working! having a 35-40 minute drive to the hospital for years 3 and 4 is far though. considering you have to be there at 5:00 in the morning you'll be leaving your place around 4:00.