Other OT-Related Information Current changes in our field people might need to know about

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prodigiousflame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been working in the field for a few years now and just want to make sure everyone who is applying or thinking about applying to OT school is aware of the changes that are happening in our field at the moment. This is information schools AKA businesses who need your money to continue running conveniently might not be telling you.

Starting October 1st, SNFs will be implementing PDPM. It's a reimbursement change that Medicare is putting into place due to the years of medicare fraud greedy SNF companies have committed (keeping inappropriate patients on for ultra high minutes). Some changes as a result of this include doing groups vs just one to one treatments so potentially less hours to go around, pay cuts, cutting per diem's d/t RUGs going away, making everything outcome based, flexing therapists to work weekends for evals in order to not use per diem, decrease in reimbursement after keeping a patient on for a certain amount of days (vs keeping a patient on for 100 days), and therapy not driving revenue anymore. Please look up "PDPM" as any article will explain it better than me. My point is due to this change, many facilities across the country are letting go of employees, cutting them down to part time (ridding them of benefits), getting rid of per diem employees (no rug levels to meet so no need for per diems). Per diem used to be a great way to make extra money, to save or pay off loans or have flexibility vs working a full time position--now it won't be as needed in the SNF setting. The changes are similar to when PPS went through and there was more job uncertainty. Some people say it's a cycle that will eventually level itself out--however as of right now these situation is real and happening in our field and some are even looking towards alternative career options due to job uncertainty/staffing changes. At the end of the day--who pays for the greed of these companies? Therapists who have a mortgage to pay, a car to pay off, their student loans and who are trying to sustain a decent standard of living.

January 1st, home health will undergo something called "PDGM" which is a similar model to "PDPM" in that therapy won't be the revenue driver anymore. Home health agencies will get a lump sum and therapy will just be one of the services offered, certification periods for delivering therapy will be reduced, they won't receive financial incentives to deliver more therapy. Right now there is speculation as to how exactly this might turn out but the point is PDGM removes the number of therapy visits as a determinant of Home Health Agency (HHA) payment. Again do your own research into this for a better explanation. Also CMS just proposed a potential 8% cut to reduce reimbursement rates to HH agencies due to suspicions of "shady behavior" like selecting certain reimbursement codes for increased reimbursement etc.

Additionally for those who live in California--the AB5 bill was just passed making it tougher to become an independent contractor. Right now home health agencies are scrambling to find loopholes for therapists to continue working as independent contractors d/t this bill being passed which jeopardizes our freedom to flexibly pick up extra work to supplement our income, or to work home health without the need of having to meet a daily quota (full time).

This isn't meant to be a fear mongering post but moreso an informative one as faculty who work in the schools might be a little out of touch with current changes out in the field and I know some of the draw of becoming a therapist aside from passion or interest is to feel like you have job security especially for all the hard work, years of lost income, and the ginormous and sometimes crippling financial investment that goes into pursuing this degree. Other settings like hospital/outpatient/pediatrics are not undergoing these changes however the reality is (do a quick job search online) much of the jobs are in SNFs and home health.

For those who are already in schools, or for those who have shadowed OT and are hugely passionate about this career--do what you gotta do. You might just need to be more flexible when you graduate or move to a less saturated area to find a job, or wait longer for something to come up.

For those who either didn't get into OT school, on the fence, or still deciding on this career I would perhaps wait out the storm, or do more research on the job availability out there, and what other career options there are that'll provide you a greater return on investment or have a little more job security. Don't base your research off a "TOP 10 BEST CAREERS IN AMERICA!!" fluffy article written by people who have no clue the day in and day out reality of this field.

TALK to actual therapists who have been doing this for awhile. Ask them if they would still do it knowing what they know now. Right now the pendulum of power has swung over to nursing in nursing facilities. They will be making more of the executive decisions in justifying continuation of skilled care. So if you're on the side of "I just wanna help people" vs "I live breathe and eat OT" then consider nursing or even PA (great pay, less physical work, and less financial investment) as well.

For those who have multiple interests such as healthcare AND something like IT-- a growing field that isn't affected by Medicare's moods ...then consider tech. They get raises (ask a therapist in the SNF the last time they received a raise), have great benefits, upward mobility, many work remotely, and a balanced lifestyle and sometimes only need certification to get a job vs. spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on a degree that'll pay avg 60-75k. The other day an IT guy came in to fix our network connection and was saying how he had spent 200 dollars on a certificate that'll advance his career and pay and that the price of this course is now 500--that's a bag of peanuts compared to the amount we spend during our schooling or just a little more than a continuing education course.

I know that as a student all I cared about was making sure to ace my anatomy prerequisite class or making my application as spiffy as possible to get into a school. Do your research and don't enter this field lightly or blindly. There are still opportunities as people need therapy however we have to put up a bigger fight than ever to justify our existence in our volatile healthcare climate.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
ORLY Owl, pump my stomach, I've already drunk the Kool Aid!

Joking aside, after lurking in OT forums for almost 2 years, having finished prereqs/GRE/shadowing/applied, I'm getting cold feet. Reduced reimbursements and productivity demands are definitely offputting, but every industry goes through squeezes. A few years ago in another industry, compensation was dwindling, market saturated, etc. I've obviously tapped out and am seeking a new career. There are peers of mine who persevered, and while they may not be enjoying the spoils of the feverish consumer market we all experienced prior to the blow off top, they are still quite successful... and happy with less. They pivoted to different markets FYI. They would have floundered otherwise.

You make valid points though. Caveat emptor! Especially for a degree in a field that doesn't seem to pay commensurate to tuition costs.

I suppose my cold feet/apprehension is a personal thing. I fear that even after achieving what I think I want... which is to prove to myself that I'm good enough, smart enough, and gosh darnnit people like me... that even with a Masters degree and job, I will still feel unfulfilled, unaccomplished, and tens of thousands of dollars poorer. At least I'm a Beluga. People like Belugas. Not as well-known as Dolphins. Dolphins are like PTs of the water world. I don't want to have to explain to people I'm NOT a Dolphin or a Porpoise. F----ing Dolphins.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
ORLY Owl, pump my stomach, I've already drunk the Kool Aid!

Joking aside, after lurking in OT forums for almost 2 years, having finished prereqs/GRE/shadowing/applied, I'm getting cold feet. Reduced reimbursements and productivity demands are definitely offputting, but every industry goes through squeezes. A few years ago in another industry, compensation was dwindling, market saturated, etc. I've obviously tapped out and am seeking a new career. There are peers of mine who persevered, and while they may not be enjoying the spoils of the feverish consumer market we all experienced prior to the blow off top, they are still quite successful... and happy with less. They pivoted to different markets FYI. They would have floundered otherwise.

You make valid points though. Caveat emptor! Especially for a degree in a field that doesn't seem to pay commensurate to tuition costs.

I suppose my cold feet/apprehension is a personal thing. I fear that even after achieving what I think I want... which is to prove to myself that I'm good enough, smart enough, and gosh darnnit people like me... that even with a Masters degree and job, I will still feel unfulfilled, unaccomplished, and tens of thousands of dollars poorer. At least I'm a Beluga. People like Belugas. Not as well-known as Dolphins. Dolphins are like PTs of the water world. I don't want to have to explain to people I'm NOT a Dolphin or a Porpoise. F----ing Dolphins.
Last part made L-O-L

Members don't see this ad :)
Slightly depressed now...but that could also be a result of my current level 2.

I know your post is meant to guide people looking into OT as a career, but is there anything reassuring to say for us who are just months from graduating with loans? I have been wanting to work with adults after graduation (SNF, inpatient, HH, etc.)

Last edited:
I think an important thing to note is that healthcare payment changes happen every 5-6 years. Yes, this is going to affect OT, but it is not the first time this has happened. It is not the end of OT. It’s just a change that nobody has gotten to experience yet. The field will adapt and we will move forward. Other healthcare fields, including PT, are experiencing changes next year as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I have been working in the field for a few years now and just want to make sure everyone who is applying or thinking about applying to OT school is aware of the changes that are happening in our field at the moment. This is information schools AKA businesses who need your money to continue running conveniently might not be telling you.

Starting October 1st, SNFs will be implementing PDPM. It's a reimbursement change that Medicare is putting into place due to the years of medicare fraud greedy SNF companies have committed (keeping inappropriate patients on for ultra high minutes). Some changes as a result of this include doing groups vs just one to one treatments so potentially less hours to go around, pay cuts, cutting per diem's d/t RUGs going away, making everything outcome based, flexing therapists to work weekends for evals in order to not use per diem, decrease in reimbursement after keeping a patient on for a certain amount of days (vs keeping a patient on for 100 days), and therapy not driving revenue anymore. Please look up "PDPM" as any article will explain it better than me. My point is due to this change, many facilities across the country are letting go of employees, cutting them down to part time (ridding them of benefits), getting rid of per diem employees (no rug levels to meet so no need for per diems). Per diem used to be a great way to make extra money, to save or pay off loans or have flexibility vs working a full time position--now it won't be as needed in the SNF setting. The changes are similar to when PPS went through and there was more job uncertainty. Some people say it's a cycle that will eventually level itself out--however as of right now these situation is real and happening in our field and some are even looking towards alternative career options due to job uncertainty/staffing changes. At the end of the day--who pays for the greed of these companies? Therapists who have a mortgage to pay, a car to pay off, their student loans and who are trying to sustain a decent standard of living.

January 1st, home health will undergo something called "PDGM" which is a similar model to "PDPM" in that therapy won't be the revenue driver anymore. Home health agencies will get a lump sum and therapy will just be one of the services offered, certification periods for delivering therapy will be reduced, they won't receive financial incentives to deliver more therapy. Right now there is speculation as to how exactly this might turn out but the point is PDGM removes the number of therapy visits as a determinant of Home Health Agency (HHA) payment. Again do your own research into this for a better explanation. Also CMS just proposed a potential 8% cut to reduce reimbursement rates to HH agencies due to suspicions of "shady behavior" like selecting certain reimbursement codes for increased reimbursement etc.

Additionally for those who live in California--the AB5 bill was just passed making it tougher to become an independent contractor. Right now home health agencies are scrambling to find loopholes for therapists to continue working as independent contractors d/t this bill being passed which jeopardizes our freedom to flexibly pick up extra work to supplement our income, or to work home health without the need of having to meet a daily quota (full time).

This isn't meant to be a fear mongering post but moreso an informative one as faculty who work in the schools might be a little out of touch with current changes out in the field and I know some of the draw of becoming a therapist aside from passion or interest is to feel like you have job security especially for all the hard work, years of lost income, and the ginormous and sometimes crippling financial investment that goes into pursuing this degree. Other settings like hospital/outpatient/pediatrics are not undergoing these changes however the reality is (do a quick job search online) much of the jobs are in SNFs and home health.

For those who are already in schools, or for those who have shadowed OT and are hugely passionate about this career--do what you gotta do. You might just need to be more flexible when you graduate or move to a less saturated area to find a job, or wait longer for something to come up.

For those who either didn't get into OT school, on the fence, or still deciding on this career I would perhaps wait out the storm, or do more research on the job availability out there, and what other career options there are that'll provide you a greater return on investment or have a little more job security. Don't base your research off a "TOP 10 BEST CAREERS IN AMERICA!!" fluffy article written by people who have no clue the day in and day out reality of this field.

TALK to actual therapists who have been doing this for awhile. Ask them if they would still do it knowing what they know now. Right now the pendulum of power has swung over to nursing in nursing facilities. They will be making more of the executive decisions in justifying continuation of skilled care. So if you're on the side of "I just wanna help people" vs "I live breathe and eat OT" then consider nursing or even PA (great pay, less physical work, and less financial investment) as well.

For those who have multiple interests such as healthcare AND something like IT-- a growing field that isn't affected by Medicare's moods ...then consider tech. They get raises (ask a therapist in the SNF the last time they received a raise), have great benefits, upward mobility, many work remotely, and a balanced lifestyle and sometimes only need certification to get a job vs. spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on a degree that'll pay avg 60-75k. The other day an IT guy came in to fix our network connection and was saying how he had spent 200 dollars on a certificate that'll advance his career and pay and that the price of this course is now 500--that's a bag of peanuts compared to the amount we spend during our schooling or just a little more than a continuing education course.

I know that as a student all I cared about was making sure to ace my anatomy prerequisite class or making my application as spiffy as possible to get into a school. Do your research and don't enter this field lightly or blindly. There are still opportunities as people need therapy however we have to put up a bigger fight than ever to justify our existence in our volatile healthcare climate.

Thank you for sharing. I think it's really important to be informed about the policy changes that impact OT.

Can you tell me more about IT and healthcare? Do you mean becoming an OT for a tech company or just working in tech?

I know your post is meant to guide people looking into OT as a career, but is there anything reassuring to say for us who are just months from graduating with loans? This is soul crushing as I have been wanting to work with adults after graduation (SNF, inpatient, HH, etc.)

Hi Evie,
I don't want you to feel like all your hard work was for nothing! Yes there are still jobs in adult settings. Hospitals/inpatient rehabs have not been affected by this change. My friend has great benefits working in acute rehab and the per diem rate at his hospital is really great (I'm in the socal area). There's just a lot of layoffs happening around the country in the SNF setting right now, pay cuts, less per diem opportunities--and the work day will look different than how it was prior to PDPM. There'll be more groups, more work for less hours, concurrent treatments, higher productivity.. Home health will still need therapists but since we won't be driving revenue anymore there may be less visits spread between disciplines--less volume of therapy needed, but that doesn't mean therapy won't be needed anymore. I just want people to prepare themselves for a a job climate that's a little more complicated than it was before the change. Also the upside of all of this is that therapist's are finding a voice--right now they're trying to form a union through facebook to fight for us to have greater rights.

I think an important thing to note is that healthcare payment changes happen every 5-6 years. Yes, this is going to affect OT, but it is not the first time this has happened. It is not the end of OT. It’s just a change that nobody has gotten to experience yet. The field will adapt and we will move forward. Other healthcare fields, including PT, are experiencing changes next year as well.

Yes true there changes do occur every few years however the trend is that therapy is being minimized and the pay and benefits have never returned to what it once was. Our reimbursement hasn't increased over the years to meet the rising cost of living and our ridiculous debt load. Right now people are predicting that when things settle down, facilities may hire people back however at a lower rate (which new grads with loans and people with bills will likely be willing to accept)

Thank you for sharing. I think it's really important to be informed about the policy changes that impact OT.

Can you tell me more about IT and healthcare? Do you mean becoming an OT for a tech company or just working in tech?

I actually meant researching the IT career in general (tech), however there is a field that combines tech and healthcare called Health Informatics.
You would work with IT professionals to improve computer databases/systems to create data driven solutions to improve healthcare. I'm part of a group called "Alternative Careers for Rehab Professionals" on facebook. Some therapists are ready to move on from direct patient care and complete the necessary coursework to segway into this career--so far I've heard good things.

Last edited:
Hi Evie,
I don't want you to feel like all your hard work was for nothing! Yes there are still jobs in adult settings. Hospitals/inpatient rehabs have not been affected by this change. My friend has great benefits working in acute rehab and the per diem rate at his hospital is really great (I'm in the socal area). There's just a lot of layoffs happening around the country in the SNF setting right now, pay cuts, less per diem opportunities--and the work day will look different than how it was prior to PDPM. There'll be more groups, more work for less hours, concurrent treatments, higher productivity.. Home health will still need therapists but since we won't be driving revenue anymore there may be less visits spread between disciplines--less volume of therapy needed, but that doesn't mean therapy won't be needed anymore. I just want people to prepare themselves for a a job climate that's a little more complicated than it was before the change. Also the upside of all of this is that therapist's are finding a voice--right now they're trying to form a union through facebook to fight for us to have greater rights.

Yes true there changes do occur every few years however the trend is that therapy is being minimized and the pay and benefits have never returned to what it once was. Our reimbursement hasn't increased over the years to meet the rising cost of living and our ridiculous debt load. Right now people are predicting that when things settle down, facilities may hire people back however at a lower rate (which new grads with loans and people with bills will likely be willing to accept)

I actually meant researching the IT career in general (tech), however there is a field that combines tech and healthcare called Health Informatics.
You would work with IT professionals to improve computer databases/systems to create data driven solutions to improve healthcare. I'm part of a group called "Alternative Careers for Rehab Professionals" on facebook. Some therapists are ready to move on from direct patient care and complete the necessary coursework to segway into this career--so far I've heard good things.
Idk whats gonna happen when pdgm comes around...

The union page seems like everyone jumped on the “I wanna complain” bus about every little thing they can right now. I get it’s a change for some with layoffs, but it’s life. I’ve been laid off with federal jobs, and with working in the oil industry. Yes.. it is tough, but it’s not an entire crash of our profession. People need healthcare— it’s inevitable.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently finishing up my last level2 placement and really nervous about finding a job right now with all the changes. Hoping I made the right choice career wise :/