Current D4 at NYU. Need some advice on life after gpr residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I am currently a D4 at NYU college of dentistry. I live at home with parents in bk and commute to school. Throughout my third year I flirted with the thought of going into OMFS or Perio. However I am still not clear if Iam committed to OMS just yet. This is my current plan as of now:
1. graduate NYU in May
2. start gpr program in the brooklyn-manhattan area that is really heavy on extractions and surgeries.

Then when I go out and look for a job, I really don't want to stay in NY due to the saturation. I am beginning to see Texas as a realistic option for me once I complete residency. The problem is that I have no clue where to even start. What cities, towns in TX would be good for me to find employment? Which locations can offer me great salaries as an associate...I just dont know where to look!

HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do GPR if you aren’t planning to stay in NY?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have any family, friends, or connections in TX? COL is certainly lower but if you value any of those it may be tough for you to move down there. I feel you could find some great opportunities in NY if you are persistent. You could also still live at home and save some extra money. Keep in mind major cities in TX (Austin, Dallas, etc) can also be saturated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do GPR if you aren’t planning to stay in NY?

I don't feel confident in my speed in doing procedures yet. Plus there is a lot I could learn still in gpr that I wouldn't in dental school.

I don't feel confident in my speed in doing procedures yet. Plus there is a lot I could learn still in gpr that I wouldn't in dental school.
Just find a good mentor. Speed will come. But a good mentor will teach you real world stuff. Plus you will probably make more. I know you’re looking for surgeries and ext, but bread and butter dentistry is what you should focus on first. Crown man gets paid.

Reactions: 2 users
A good GPR is a good idea.

TX is a good place to practice because it’s growing and tax/small business friendly. I believe that their state run insurance also has a higher reimbursement than NY but am not positive.

If I were heading to Texas I would look at suburbs of Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth/Arlington. I personally don’t want to live more than 2 hours from a major airport, and think that’s a good way to look at how far you’re willing to live or commute to work.

OMS and Perio are both good choices. In saturated markets OS has it a little easier than perio, but if you’re willing to live outside the major metros, perio can be one of the most lucrative specialties.

You should really visit Texas before thinking about working there. It is nothing like NYC, and with no family to rely on there, you will be alone in a culturally different environment. Although born and raised in BK gives yo a world of street smarts, it will set you apart from the Texas Rangers. No hating on Texans here, just an observation that we are all a little bit like where we are from.

The markets in Texas are saturated. I know because I was a Texas resident and graduated from here and worked for a couple years. It’s hard to find a job that pays well, your first job will most likely be corporate six days a week and they can be cut-throat. I know because I interviewed at a majority of these companies and heard from other colleagues. Sure no state tax, but it’s hot as hell and rent is still high enough to where you won’t make a dent in your loan unless you move in with someone else or live dirt dirt cheap ala college student style which is hard to do after so much education. I know because I’ve talked with former employees who graduated from private schools and they are grinding here to even make ends meet. Sad but that’s how it is. I recommend you visit Texas like the guy above me said. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Reactions: 1 user
6days a week?! thats insane. dont they usually let you take a weekday off if you have to cover saturday. also whats ur def of a job that pays well? 700+/d guaranteed base?

Again, I'm not trying to exaggerate anything and hoping other Texas dentists can chime in. Graduates are a dime a dozen. Six days is to be expected, they want someone that's going to work hard and work the hours no one wants to work. For an entry graduate/fresh GPR/AEGD, you should expect anywhere from 500-600 per day for a dental associate job, anywhere from 3 months to 6 months guaranteed. Experience doesn't mean that much, even with a GPR/AEGD (again, dime a dozen..). Anything beyond that, you're driving an hour or two outside of Dallas/Austin/San Antonio if you want a little more. I've done it all.

All out-of-staters that want to come to Texas have the same thought as the initial poster. Is it significantly cheaper than say living in NY and Cali trying to pay off your loans? Maybe, but the gap is closing pretty quickly and there's a dentist literally on almost every street and corner of every highway exit. It's not as easy as you think.

Give NY a shot first. There are a lot of dentists but there are also a lot of people. And if you want something a little slower paced, well look outside the NYC metro. It is a big state after all. You may have to work some awful jobs at first and maybe work 6 days/week depending on how much you want to make and how hard you want to work. But you have to give it some time and always be on the lookout for something better. I worked in NYC twice, once as a general dentist after my GPR and then again as an orthodontist when I finished ortho residency. It was a good experience and I'm glad I did it.

IMO moving to Texas was so 10 years ago. When I finished ortho, everyone and their brother was moving there. I'm sure you can still succeed, but the lifestyle seems so different than NYC. Despite the high cost of living, I like living in the NYC metro.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I just got into NYU for this upcoming July.. are you happy you went to this school?

If you’re considering OMFS, you could also try to find an OMFS internship instead. It will be a tougher year than a GPR, but at the end you will definitely know whether you want to pursue OMFS or not