Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
Hello current dental students!

So, the iPad launch is closing in, and the more I read about it, the more it seems to me to be great for school. UMich has all their lectures on iTunesU, lots of Macs on campus, etc.

For me, I don't really see the need for a full laptop. Any sort of writing assignment will be done at home on my desktop. The iPad gives me internet access, e-mail access, video, document viewing (even editing), etc, not to mention it's half the price of a macbook (and less than half the price of a macbook pro).

Am I missing anything? I appeal to all current dental students (especially those at UMich): Give me your input!

Thanks!

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I hear dental school is a bit busy... What about those times that you wish you had your laptop with you when you could be squeezing in some work that requires a keyboard?

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
There is a full keyboard accessory for it, and it works with any bluetooth keyboard...

dl9006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
i would rather get a netbook than carry a separate keyboard around.

the Ipad seems like a fancy toy to me rather than a work tool

Onix

Viper never dies
Jul 27, 2009
Status
Dental Student
@ Palmetto
You probably haven't read enough about iPad. Ok, so I researched it a ton and figured out ipad is not for what we need to be doing in dental school.
1. ipad does not allow multitasking, meaning, you can't have your mac version of powerpoint up to take notes and have your firefox up and running in case you need to lookup something.
2. ipad doesn't support Macromedia Flash player, basically you can not watch animations on your ipad.
3. ipad doesn't have good computing power such as cpu, RAM, HDD etc
4.writing would be much easier if it had a stylus.
5.ipad doesn't support onenote. There's a ton of great features on word and onenote that you will miss.
trust me on this, ipad would not be suitable for dental school.
To sum up go buy yourself a tablet pc. I personally own HP touchsmart tm2. Thats the kinda computer you will need in dental school.

srb711

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ipad doesn't support Macromedia Flash player, basically you can not watch animations on your ipad
This is reason enough... but Flash goes way beyond animations, there will be a TON of website you can't access because they require a Flash player.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
@ Palmetto
You probably haven't read enough about iPad. Ok, so I researched it a ton and figured out ipad is not for what we need to be doing in dental school.
1. ipad does not allow multitasking, meaning, you can't have your mac version of powerpoint up to take notes and have your firefox up and running in case you need to lookup something.
2. ipad doesn't support Macromedia Flash player, basically you can not watch animations on your ipad.
3. ipad doesn't have good computing power such as cpu, RAM, HDD etc
4.writing would be much easier if it had a stylus.
5.ipad doesn't support onenote. There's a ton of great features on word and onenote that you will miss.
trust me on this, ipad would not be suitable for dental school.
To sum up go buy yourself a tablet pc. I personally own HP touchsmart tm2. Thats the kinda computer you will need in dental school.
Perhaps I should've been more clear on this: it'll be an iPad or a Macbook. All of my computers are macs...no PC (the last thing I want to deal with is a virus or commit a portion of my processor/memory to anti-virus software).

Yes, I've been reading quite a bit about the iPad. What I really need to know is exactly what computer's are used for while physically at the dental school (I'll have my desktop when I'm at home). Some of the things you've mentioned are things I've thought about and considered...

1. Multi-tasking...Assuming the professor uses ppt slides (or keynote, since UMich is all mac-based), there are apps for taking notes (one allows you to take notes directly over a pdf, and keynote is compatable.) You do raise the question regarding the need for internet while in class. Do you really find yourself needing to supplement the lecture material with information from the internet? I am definitely interested to know. From what I've been told by the school/students, all the lectures are in full-length video format on iTunes, so if I ever needed to refer to a lecture, I'd have that at my fingertips.

2. I really don't care about the flash player. I don't play flash games, I don't watch Hulu (although Hulu has committed to creating an app for the iPad). Netflix, ABC, NBC, ESPN, SI, CNN, and more have all announced video support for the iPad, and I can only assume there will be more. Strictly for dental school, though, do you find the flash player is needed for your classes, or were you stating that more as a personal preference?

3. From the reviews, the iPad's 1ghz processor is most certainly speedy when running any of the apps (which makes sense, since you would only need more computing power if you were running many applications at once, photo-editing, etc.) What process/memory-heavy activities are needed while at school?

4. There are styluses (styli?) already available, however, it looks as though the type of touch screen on the iPad (and the iPod touch) require a thicker tip (capacitive touch screen...not sure if they'll be able to slim them down or not). So, yes, that is a possible concern.

5. I haven't used onenote, so I can't say much about it. It looks like a good program, but it wouldn't convince me to switch over to PC.

The other thing I see being a HUGE advantage for the iPad is battery life. I've seen the lecture halls where we have class, and it's not like there are power adapters at every seat.

I do appreciate your input, and I'm not trying to be rude, but other than the onenote thing, I have considered the other points. I am interested in hearing more about the real and necessary computer uses while in class/at school on a day-to-day basis...

Atticus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Perhaps I should've been more clear on this: it'll be an iPad or a Macbook. All of my computers are macs...no PC (the last thing I want to deal with is a virus or commit a portion of my processor/memory to anti-virus software).

Yes, I've been reading quite a bit about the iPad. What I really need to know is exactly what computer's are used for while physically at the dental school (I'll have my desktop when I'm at home). Some of the things you've mentioned are things I've thought about and considered...

1. Multi-tasking...Assuming the professor uses ppt slides (or keynote, since UMich is all mac-based), there are apps for taking notes (one allows you to take notes directly over a pdf, and keynote is compatable.) You do raise the question regarding the need for internet while in class. Do you really find yourself needing to supplement the lecture material with information from the internet? I am definitely interested to know. From what I've been told by the school/students, all the lectures are in full-length video format on iTunes, so if I ever needed to refer to a lecture, I'd have that at my fingertips.

2. I really don't care about the flash player. I don't play flash games, I don't watch Hulu (although Hulu has committed to creating an app for the iPad). Netflix, ABC, NBC, ESPN, SI, CNN, and more have all announced video support for the iPad, and I can only assume there will be more. Strictly for dental school, though, do you find the flash player is needed for your classes, or were you stating that more as a personal preference?

3. From the reviews, the iPad's 1ghz processor is most certainly speedy when running any of the apps (which makes sense, since you would only need more computing power if you were running many applications at once, photo-editing, etc.) What process/memory-heavy activities are needed while at school?

4. There are styluses (styli?) already available, however, it looks as though the type of touch screen on the iPad (and the iPod touch) require a thicker tip (capacitive touch screen...not sure if they'll be able to slim them down or not). So, yes, that is a possible concern.

5. I haven't used onenote, so I can't say much about it. It looks like a good program, but it wouldn't convince me to switch over to PC.

The other thing I see being a HUGE advantage for the iPad is battery life. I've seen the lecture halls where we have class, and it's not like there are power adapters at every seat.

I do appreciate your input, and I'm not trying to be rude, but other than the onenote thing, I have considered the other points. I am interested in hearing more about the real and necessary computer uses while in class/at school on a day-to-day basis...
ROFL, it sounds to me like you already have your mind made up :)

Hey, just go for the 13'' macbook pro. Full computing power small footprint and you'll have great battery life (My 15'' from july still regularly lasts 7+ hours). I know the iPad is cool but its utility is limited and you don't know how much time you'll be at school or when you'll have downtime and want to get some work done.

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Dental Student
if you want an ipad get an ipad. You don't need one though. You need a laptop.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
Hey, just go for the 13'' macbook pro. Full computing power small footprint and you'll have great battery life (My 15'' from july still regularly lasts 7+ hours). I know the iPad is cool but its utility is limited and you don't know how much time you'll be at school or when you'll have downtime and want to get some work done.
I guess that's my question...what type of work is it that might need to get done? Reports? Presentations? Simply digesting large amounts of info from lecture? What is it specifically that is done with the laptop for school?

WannaBeDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
ipad needed for school? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Has apple marketing made it to SDN? Get some damn loupes, a light, and forget the trendy garbage.

taking notes, doing projects, presentations, general school work (submitting things online etc). What kind of work did you do in undergrad? Same type of thing. Also if you school uses blackboard (what school doesn't in this day and age) it doesn't work on mobile safari - at least it has never worked on my ipod touch when I've tried to log in so you might have an issue downloading powerpoints and pdfs that are posted for your classes. Seriously just get a computer

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
taking notes, doing projects, presentations, general school work (submitting things online etc). What kind of work did you do in undergrad? Same type of thing. Also if you school uses blackboard (what school doesn't in this day and age) it doesn't work on mobile safari - at least it has never worked on my ipod touch when I've tried to log in so you might have an issue downloading powerpoints and pdfs that are posted for your classes. Seriously just get a computer
I guess I'll have to take my questions to U of M because it sounds like each dental school experience is different. My friend at WVU told me his only "assignments" are exams...no projects, nothing to submit online, etc.

Doing my pre-req work, I use my iPod touch quite a bit. Our university uses something called Vspace, which my iPod handles with no problems. I can pull up the ppt or pdf for lecture, it's just that the screen is too small to really do anything in terms of note-taking, so I do it by hand. I tried the laptop thing (borrowed from my fiance), but it wouldn't make it through a day of classes. So, the improvement in screen size and battery life on iPad vs. laptop fix both problems.

If there is a problem with not accessing such a site, there are apps that allow you to get any file from your desktop computer so long as you have a wi-fi connection (like remote desktop), or I could simply download them on my desktop and shoot em over to the iPad the night before.

I'm loving the input, and by no means am I knocking anyone's opinion, but I still haven't heard anything vital to d-school that can be done on a laptop and not on the iPad (and for a lot less money!)

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Dental Student
-get the ipad

-report back in two years on your experience.

WannaBeDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
There a ton of laptops you can buy for the same money as an ipad or less that will outlast it in battery life. What can't an ipad do?

-no real keyboard
-no multitask
-take notes on PDF (I do it everyday)
-type and see something at the sametime
-Java anything online
-or flat out do simple things on a comp

ipad = waste of money

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
There a ton of laptops you can buy for the same money as an ipad or less that will outlast it in battery life. What can't an ipad do?

-no real keyboard
-no multitask
-take notes on PDF (I do it everyday)
-type and see something at the sametime
-Java anything online
-or flat out do simple things on a comp

ipad = waste of money
Sure...there are a ton of PC laptops...no thanks.

I've already been over this...there IS a full keyboard for the iPad.

No one has been able to point out the need to multitask at school. It DOES take notes on PDF. It most definitely supports Java.

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Dental Student
We're trying to tell you man. You're going to want a laptop when you get into school. You're going to be telling yourself every day, "why didn't i get a laptop, why did i buy this oversized, overpriced ipod touch?". Don't kid yourself, you want the ipad because it looks cool and you want to impress others by having the latest gadget. IMO you should buy a used 13 " macbook if you're looking to own a mac and save money.

You already have your mind made up. Like i said, buy it and let us know how it goes for you.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
We're trying to tell you man. You're going to want a laptop when you get into school. You're going to be telling yourself every day, "why didn't i get a laptop, why did i buy this oversized, overpriced ipod touch?". Don't kid yourself, you want the ipad because it looks cool and you want to impress others by having the latest gadget. IMO you should buy a used 13 " macbook if you're looking to own a mac and save money.

You already have your mind made up. Like i said, buy it and let us know how it goes for you.
Look, I think this guy has it right. 95% of my lectures are powerpoint. Students do one of two things:

1. Take notes on their Macbook (generally the 13" pro model), or PC Laptop (about 60% have a PC, 40% have the Macbook)

2. Print them out like me using a laser printer

3. Do nothing

I really can't see how the iPad would be that useful. You would have to have the accessory keyboard to take notes- how would you hold the ipad in your lap AND the keyboard at the same time? Just wouldn't work. You can't take notes on it with a stylus either (some students have a tablet PC), which IMO is the best option. The touch keyboard should work, but again, holding it and typing on your lap with a flat "pad" just isn't optimal.

You were worried about viruses in a previous post- seriously, just download a free virus scanning program (there are plenty) and don't worry about it. Don't download illegal stuff and you have very little to worry about as far as viruses.

I've used both my Vista PC and my friends' Macbooks- I still prefer PC to this point, from an objective view. Sure the Macbooks are build VERY well, and the ipad will be as well- but PC still has the better interface IMO.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
Look, I think this guy has it right. 95% of my lectures are powerpoint. Students do one of two things:

1. Take notes on their Macbook (generally the 13" pro model), or PC Laptop (about 60% have a PC, 40% have the Macbook)

2. Print them out like me using a laser printer

3. Do nothing

I really can't see how the iPad would be that useful. You would have to have the accessory keyboard to take notes- how would you hold the ipad in your lap AND the keyboard at the same time? Just wouldn't work. You can't take notes on it with a stylus either (some students have a tablet PC), which IMO is the best option. The touch keyboard should work, but again, holding it and typing on your lap with a flat "pad" just isn't optimal.

You were worried about viruses in a previous post- seriously, just download a free virus scanning program (there are plenty) and don't worry about it. Don't download illegal stuff and you have very little to worry about as far as viruses.

I've used both my Vista PC and my friends' Macbooks- I still prefer PC to this point, from an objective view. Sure the Macbooks are build VERY well, and the ipad will be as well- but PC still has the better interface IMO.
I'm 27 yrs old, married with one daughter. Looking cool is so far from my radar,seriously.

It's not that I'm set on the iPad. The whole point of asking current dental students was to get an insight as tohow a laptop is used on a day-to-day basis, and see if those functions can be utilized on the iPad. So far, it sounds like no onereally knows enough about the iPad's capabilities to give legitimate reasons against it. Otherwise you wouldn't be telling me it can't handle ppt's (it certainly can), I'd have to put it and the keyboard on my lap (the keyboard accessory has a built in dock that props the iPad upright, like a laptop, so the iPad and the keyboard wouldn't be on my lap).I also wouldn't be told you can't use a stylus woth it (there is a stylus available for it), or that I couldn't take notes on it (when there are already a bunch of apps that specifically take notes digitally over pdf's and ppt's, among other file types).

I was looking for reasons like "you need to be able to install specific software for class"...that's something a laptop can do that can't be accomplished on an iPad. Everything that's been mentioned here against the iPad are actually a result of misinformation.
If we're not kidding ourselves here, then face it: 99% of the things you use your laptop for at school are things that could be done on something like the iPad. If I already had a laptop, I'd agree there is no need for the iPad. But for someone that needs portability, long battery, and basically a digital notebook/video player, a laptop is overkill.

Thanks for the input!

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
I graduated last year and I can tell u for sure that an ipad would not have worked with us. First off we are all sharing notes, old exams, etc and they're passed around on little flash drives. The ipad has no USB ports. Also we all had to use axium in the clinic on our laptops (abd axium does not work on mac in general). There are many different times when we were handed out cd roms with different things we need to install (board prep questions comes to mind) which would not work on the ipad. The problem with it is that it's not a computer OS but a phone OS. If they had put OS X on it it would be a different story. You definitely need to multitask. I constantly had word and firefox open while taking notes. With the ipad u have to exit the program and open another one (like the iPhone). Again, the ipad is not a laptop replacement, but actually fills a slot that none of us knew exisited before :).

Something else to keep in mind is that many times you don't have a choice; a laptop is bundled into your tuition. Check with the school your going to before buying anything

If you guys use e-textbooks (like vital source) you will not be able to access those on the ipad. I know you think none of us have looked into it but I actually have (I'm a big tech nerd in addition to being an ex apple employee trust me I know the products) and I'm telling you that you will go out and buy a computer within a week or so of trying to use an ipad for school and then you will have 2 awesome mac gadgets but you can skip that step and just get the macbook pro

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
I graduated last year and I can tell u for sure that an ipad would not have worked with us. First off we are all sharing notes, old exams, etc and they're passed around on little flash drives. The ipad has no USB ports. Also we all had to use axium in the clinic on our laptops (abd axium does not work on mac in general). There are many different times when we were handed out cd roms with different things we need to install (board prep questions comes to mind) which would not work on the ipad. The problem with it is that it's not a computer OS but a phone OS. If they had put OS X on it it would be a different story. You definitely need to multitask. I constantly had word and firefox open while taking notes. With the ipad u have to exit the program and open another one (like the iPhone). Again, the ipad is not a laptop replacement, but actually fills a slot that none of us knew exisited before :).

Something else to keep in mind is that many times you don't have a choice; a laptop is bundled into your tuition. Check with the school your going to before buying anything
This guy totally has it right. It's not that it won't be fine most of the time, it's that it won't be fine that one or two times you really would have needed it. My school uses Tooth Atlas to teach dental anatomy, can't do that at the library or in class now. The internet on the lab computers aren't working, and your professor is demanding that a paper be printed and turned in within the hour - the, I've only got an Ipad excuse isn't going to fly. You're handed a cd with a powerpoint on it that even though your teacher didn't put up on the internet, he said you've got to know for the test that day. You just remembered that there's a silly assignment for a class that wants you to take screen shots of Facebook and put them into a word document and send them to your professor in the next hour, AND the lab computers won't let you take screenshots because of supposed HIPPA restrictions.

If you've already got a laptop, none of these problems will cause you any issues, but if you've only got an Ipad, you'll be fine for the vast majority of the time, but there will be the times that you'll be royally screwed because you went with the Ipad instead of the Ipod. And by the way, all of the above have actually happened to me, and that last one was yesterday - these things happen.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
This guy totally has it right. It's not that it won't be fine most of the time, it's that it won't be fine that one or two times you really would have needed it. My school uses Tooth Atlas to teach dental anatomy, can't do that at the library or in class now. The internet on the lab computers aren't working, and your professor is demanding that a paper be printed and turned in within the hour - the, I've only got an Ipad excuse isn't going to fly. You're handed a cd with a powerpoint on it that even though your teacher didn't put up on the internet, he said you've got to know for the test that day. You just remembered that there's a silly assignment for a class that wants you to take screen shots of Facebook and put them into a word document and send them to your professor in the next hour, AND the lab computers won't let you take screenshots because of supposed HIPPA restrictions.

If you've already got a laptop, none of these problems will cause you any issues, but if you've only got an Ipad, you'll be fine for the vast majority of the time, but there will be the times that you'll be royally screwed because you went with the Ipad instead of the Ipod. And by the way, all of the above have actually happened to me, and that last one was yesterday - these things happen.
Omaralt & Vicviper, big thanks! These are the types of things I was looking to know. I didn't realize profs hand stuff out on cd, or that you potentially need some sort of program for clinic or lab. Good stuff. I was generally under the impression that you only took exams for grades (know assignments). I'll have to ask the school for more info...or some of my potential profs...

Vicviper

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Omaralt & Vicviper, big thanks! These are the types of things I was looking to know. I didn't realize profs hand stuff out on cd, or that you potentially need some sort of program for clinic or lab. Good stuff. I was generally under the impression that you only took exams for grades (know assignments). I'll have to ask the school for more info...or some of my potential profs...
Yeah, if you're buying something for school next year, you really shouldn't be buying it now - new things always come out, and there's always kinks to be worked out.

Like I said, those aren't common problems, but it happens every so often. And if your dental school is anything like mine, you'll often have silly little assignments to do. Most of your core sciences will be all test based though.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
Yeah, if you're buying something for school next year, you really shouldn't be buying it now - new things always come out, and there's always kinks to be worked out.

Like I said, those aren't common problems, but it happens every so often. And if your dental school is anything like mine, you'll often have silly little assignments to do. Most of your core sciences will be all test based though.
Oh, I will certainly be waiting a while before purchasing anything, but not a whole year. I start classes July 9th. I will most likely wait until classes get rolling to see what's really necessary. I just wanted to get current student's input to know the type of things to look out for.

Thanks again.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
OP: Hey guys I'm thinking about doing X. Is that a good idea or should I do Y instead?
GUy 1: No, I don't think that's a great idea from my experience.
OP: HERES 1000 REASONS WHY YOURE WRONG!!!!!!11

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
OP: Hey guys I'm thinking about doing X. Is that a good idea or should I do Y instead?
I wasn't looking for a "just get an iPad" or "just get a laptop" answer. I was looking for specific info on the uses of a laptop. Most of the info given were all things that could be done on the iPad. I didn't mean to come off rude, but honestly, it seems pretty obvious my questions and responses were legit. If I ask you whether or not to get bike x, and you answer "no, get bike y because it has brakes," I'm pretty sure it's ok to respond back, letting you know that bike x has brakes, too.

OG1

OrthoGunner #1
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status
LOL!! This was my exact take on this whole thread.

Here's why a laptop is great, especially with the Windows 7 "snap" feature (I realize you're a Mac guy though):

1. Can quickly resize a powerpoint, web page, or PDF document to fill up the left side of the screen, and open up a word document on the right side of the screen to take notes.

2. Can have a powerpoint on the left side of the page which you're taking notes on, and a web page opened up on the right side of the page which you're doing extra research on the topic or Wikipedia'ing something in the powerpoint that you might not understand.

3. Can have multiple word documents open at a time and flip between them, powerpoints, etc. - document management will be a bazillion times easier with windows and tabs.

4. Can use USB drives and CD's like someone said above - this will be HUGE for dental school, you don't want to miss out on the extra test or PDF or whatever that someone is passing around the class.

5. You can just open the laptop and there you have it, a fully functioning keyboard, screen, everything you need. I tried the whole "detachable keyboard" thing back when I had a palm - I actually busted out my keyboard and hooked it into my palm to take notes on. It was a pain in the neck pulling it out, hooking it in, and then when things were done, unhooking it and putting it away again. Plus, that's a whole extra accessory that's separate from the iPad that could break and you'd have to replace.

I think you discredit multitasking too much; you don't NEED it, but man, it'll be a pain if you don't have it. Maybe I just multitask on a computer way more than everyone else. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Vicviper

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Yeah, also like it was said before, if it was based on a Computer OS instead of a Phone OS, it would make worlds of differences. If it was a Tablet computer, it'd be great - but it's not.

I mean, it really sounds like you're planning on getting one, but you're holding off because you want to get rid of the shadow of a doubt you have. Sure, you'll be able to do word processing, powerpoints, and spreadsheets on the Ipad, but you can't do them well, or very efficiently - it was never intended to be a laptop replacement, just a handy tool. Think about the difference between using a laptop pointer nub vs. using an actual mouse ( I realize you can hook up a mouse, but I'm not talking about this literally, it's a comparison darnit!), 9/10 times, wouldn't you ALWAYS rather use a mouse? Sure, the nub thing does the same thing, but you don't have the same sense of control and accuracy, and it's a ton more clunky. I'm not meaning to sound like, and Ipad hater (though I probably actually am, haha), I just think you'll have some serious buyers remorse because the features that you're putting a lot of faith into might not work out as well as you think they will.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Sounds like another distraction.

A lot of people surf the web with their ipod touches and they seem content. Kicking it old school power points and pencil is the easiest way to roll.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
I hadn't thought about the cd thing or usb stuff being passed around class. This would be a benefit, for sure. Gah! Now I'm thinking a laptop would be the better way to go...I don't know.

I'll let other people try the iPad out for a while. I hear my first semester (this summer) is all anatomy anyway, so perhaps I won't be needing a computer right away...I'll have some time to figure out what I'll really need.

Thanks for all your input everyone!

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I hadn't thought about the cd thing or usb stuff being passed around class. This would be a benefit, for sure. Gah! Now I'm thinking a laptop would be the better way to go...I don't know.

I'll let other people try the iPad out for a while. I hear my first semester (this summer) is all anatomy anyway, so perhaps I won't be needing a computer right away...I'll have some time to figure out what I'll really need.

Demeter

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Status
A macbook could be a useful tool for you in dental school.
The ipad is a toy. it would be fun to have one and surf the internet but it will be just another 500$ thing that will distract you from your studies.

Onix

Viper never dies
Jul 27, 2009
Status
Dental Student

this shows the whole time you were set on getting an ipad. You were trying to avoid the reality of what is needed from a computer in dental school. Oh well :) 35 threats and almost a week and you are finally convinced...
Seriously now its the time to end this threat.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
Yeah, I wouldn't ever invest in a first generation of any product, especially Apple. Not because it is not a quality product, but because they have such a loyal fanbase that they can withold valuable features, like USB, etc... until later models. The clinic thing would also hold true at our school. They made us buy $150 Ironkey 8 gig flashdrives to put all patient information on.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
MICHIGAN
Status
Dental Student
this shows the whole time you were set on getting an ipad. You were trying to avoid the reality of what is needed from a computer in dental school. Oh well :) 35 threats and almost a week and you are finally convinced...
Seriously now its the time to end this threat.
I'm not really sure how this shows I was set on an iPad. As I said before, when I ask for info, I don't except "just do this" without legit reasons to justify it. It took 35 POSTS in this THREAD to finally get some relevant justifications as to why a laptop would be more beneficial other than "it just is."