Current dentists, should HPSP students take SGLI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frompenn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I couldn't find an answer that was relatively recent from past threads. I was wondering if current military dentists could advise whether it is good/bad/doesn't matter to be on SGLI as an HPSP student (single, no kids). I was going to opt out, since it only covers us during the 45-day ADT, but this note made me wonder if there's a reason to keep it.

"Reduced or refused insurance can only be restored by completing form SGLV 8285 with proof of good health and compliance with other requirements. Reduced or refused insurance will also affect the amount of VGLI you can convert to upon separation from service."

So basically, do you recommend being on SGLI? Do most people end up using USAA once active duty? Do people end up using VGLI eventually? Thanks in advance. And sorry if I'm asking something really stupid- I've never had to deal with insurance matters until now.

Members don't see this ad.

No reason not to opt out. You already mentioned that it only covers you during your 45 day active duty period, and if you have no spouse or children, you don't really have a need for life insurance at this time. Don't worry about the note, you can reinstate SGLI when you come on active duty after graduation, or any time after that. It is a very simple process. I do know active duty members that opt out of SGLI and to buy a more cost-effective or higher coverage policy, but they usually have non-working spouses and children, so they have a need for life insurance coverage.

Thank you very much for the information!!