1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

current DO students..

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by NMH2001, Nov 21, 2002.

1. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma
    10+ Year Member

I have a question that hopefully some of you can answer. How is entering an AOA residency different from going into an AGCME residency if you graduate from a DO school? I have done some research on this and I am confused about a one year AOA internship. What exactly is this and is it mandatory to do? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alisha75

alisha75 Member
    10+ Year Member

yeah, i am confused too. do you get paid in this one year internship? i've asked like 5 different people about it and no one gives me a straight answer...i wonder what the mystery is...

4. drewdo

drewdo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The way I understand it is that you need a one year rotating internship before you start your residency. For the most part you rotate between different primary care specialitis, ie. family med, rural med, psychiatry, etc or if you're specializing you might rotate in areas more typical of your specialty. Then you start your residency. If you are going to be approved by the AOA, you have to complete this internship year. But it also counts toward your residency. So if you are family med, you have one year rotating internship and two years residency. You get paid all three years, peanuts though.

5. Sweaty Paul

Sweaty Paul Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

O.K. here is the answer that I think you are all looking for:

First, you will be paid during your internship year.

Second, the internship year, rotating, is necessary only if you want to practice in one of 5 states: OH, MI, FL, PN, and OK. (I could be wrong about a couple of these, I'll update after I have time to check my notes) or if you want to become Dean of an Osteopathic Institution or Head of a Department teaching at an Osteopathic College. By not doing a rotating internship you can still join and be a full member in the AOA.

Additionally, some programs count the rotating internship as the first year of residency while others do not. Therefore, when it comes time to decide what residency you are going to do you will need to find out if they accept the rotating internship as year one (analogus to the transition year, in some respects, in the allopathic world), or if it will count seperately. Some call the acceptance of year one as "fast-track" in the osteopathic world. Please note that, depending on the residency you want to do, some allopathic residencies will count your rotating internship as year one.

Hope this helps. If you all have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Sweaty Paul MS-III
    KCOM

6. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Paul nailed it. The AOA-approved internship is analagous to the ACGME transitional year. Some allopathic programs accept it, others do not. You'll need to find out ahead of time.

7. kumar28

kumar28 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what's the avg. salary for physicians while conducting their rotating internship year?
    Thanks

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I understand it's basically the same as a first year resident. $32,000-$37,000 or so.

I could be wrong.

9. $32,000-$37,000, before tax? :laugh: Do you think any one have time to do other part-time job during residency?

10. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How would a military residency affect ones ability to be recognized by the aoa later in life?

11. Sweaty Paul

Sweaty Paul Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

WannabeDO,

As I understand it the AOA sees no difference between their rotating internship year and a military residency. That means that if you did a military residency, starting from year one, i.e. no traditional rotating internship, that you would still have all of the priveledges of having done the rotating internship.

However, like everything else in the world this area of accred is full of flux. Therefore, for the most current info on those kinds of questions you can go to the AOA Webpage at: www.aoa-net.org

Hope that helps.

Sweaty Paul MS-III
    KCOM