Current Events post - Good interview material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I thought it would be a nice idea to put article links on here regarding current healthcare-related issues. Hopefully people wil be interested enough to keep this post going.

#1 http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/10/business/10MEDI.html

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks WatchaMaCallit - anything for my fellow pre-meddies :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the process of watching a 5-part PBS series (hosted by Bill Moyers) on the process of dying. It is EXTREMELY interesting and focuses on several topics: Physician-assisted suicide (which I did not know was legal in Oregon under the Death with Dignity Act), dying with dignity, palliative care, hospice care, the inefficiencies of healthcare and several other issues. If you have an interest, whether it be personal and/or or you are looking to educate yourself for potential interview questions and you want more info, just let me know. PBS just finished airing the series (originally aired in 2000) but I found the set at my local library.

BTW you'll certainly need a box of tissues by your side...but the program is extremely touching and presented in a very tasteful manner so as to be sensitive to the filmed patients' needs (at least that is what I thought)

E'01,

That series is wonderful. I watched it when it originally aired, but couldn't watch the final episode. They played one each day and by the last day I was too emotionally exhausted to continue. I will have to check it out from the library.

I thought it was so valuable for pre-med types because no one really talks much about death--the focus is on healing and technology--but death is something that we will all encounter in our own lives and in the lives of our patients. It forced me to generate my own thoughts about the process of dying which I thought was a pretty powerful thing for a television show to accomplish.

Bottom line: Watch it if you can!

I am wondering about this line here:

"One hospital in Chicago, for example, paid the St. Paul Companies (news/quote) $1 million for $40 million in coverage last year with a deductible of $15 million. This year, the insurer raised the premium for the hospital, which it would not identify, to $1.8 million, but cut the coverage to $10 million and more than doubled the deductible."

Now, if there is a 15 million deductible, and then it is doubled: doesn't that turn to 30 million?
However, the coverage is now only 10 million?

I think I might see it now. Is coverage the NET AMOUNT that they will pay? Or is it the total amount INCLUDING deductable?