Current EVMS students - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoisthe1

Student o' Life (SoL)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To any current EVMS students....

So far, I've been accepted to EVMS and would like to know a few things.

First of all.... is there a required computer to buy? Can I use a mac or is it pc only? What about pdas including software bundles, any advice?

How often are you quizzed/tested during the first two years? Btw are there websites that I can access for the beginning series of classes?

Are there any clinical mentor/advisors that you recommend?

My fiance isn't completely enthralled with leaving her friends and moving to virginia (we are on the west coast), so how do I get us involved with support groups, etc.? All advice will be greatly appreciated.

We are looking to live in the Ghent, does anybody know of dog-friendly housing?

Thanks,

neo

Members don't see this ad.

hi neo,

1. No required computer to buy. All our computers in our lab are PC. Some people have Macs.

2. PDAs are not required until 3rd year and 2nd years did a group buy this yr to get a discount, so I'm not there yet so I can't advise you on that one.

3. As a first yr, you will probably get tested wk after wk for about a month and a rest of no tests for 1-2 wks. You start out slow with anat, histo, mmcb, itp, and get the first set of test out of the way before the fall retreat, then they add physiology. So it can get tough testing wk to wk but some schools test every monday, no matter what. Most of our test are on Mondays, but the second semester, they can be on different days, but it's not a significant amt. I will be second yr, so I 've heard it gets worst in terms of testing. No quizzes 1st yr, but a boat load the 2nd yr.

4. All the anatomy professor are great, Dr. Aravich is a tireless teacher and motivator.

5. I went to school in CA, so I know the move will be different for you and your fiancee, but Norfolk, is pretty nice. Go to www.evms.edu and there should be a page on student housing and local realtors.

6. You won't be able to access our student webpage until you enroll.

7. There is a family/significant/married other support group on campus that will be a great help you to. There are many family/married ppl in our 1st yr class and I expect more of the same in this yr;'s class.

Hope this helps and good luck.

KBSO

hey kbso

thanks alot.

Does that mean most of your studying is on the weekends?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice KBSO!
The family group is called the alliance but it is for significant others. I find for the husband of a female student though this doesn't work so well because most of the members are women.

oh and most of the exams are on mondays so yup you are studying on the weekends. someone tried to create a petition to change this to friday but the stipulation was thta you had to go to classes on wed and th. i coudlnt' commit to this as i don't like going to classes so i dind't sign it. so we will be stuck with mondya exams in second year also. :scared: