Current Future of Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gonna call it now, those 80% of employed ED docs are gonna be miserable, press ganey pursuing, dispo time widgets. Because they will be readily and easily replaced if their scores are low.

I would not be surprised at all if a database comes to fruition that keeps track of your length of stay, press ganey scores, dispo times, door to doc times, etc etc so that future employers can put in your NPI number and see all your stats.

Gonna make life miserable for those docs with jobs.

That sounds absolutely miserable. I’d rather teach high school

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone is blaming HCA (because they're big offenders) but really there are too many EM residencies being opened even in non-profit hospitals that have nothing to do with corporate medicine.

That being said there are definitely HCA hospitals that don't have HCA in the name. Tulane is owned by HCA, for example.
Gotcha. Just trying to understand it all better. I’m going rads and there’s only 6 HCA programs atm. And only 2-3 of them look like they’re any good.

Reactions: 1 user
Very sad. Crazy that this info was not out last year when a third of my class was gearing up apps for EM.
We've been sounding the alarm for years. @Tenk will attest to my dissatisfaction with the field.

Students, though, ignore anyone and everyone aside from their program director, who are essentially recruiters.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My old med school has eliminated the mandatory EM clerkship entirely. You want a letter? Gotta set it up as an elective.

“It’s no longer a viable career choice” according to the deans.
They are right. Good for them. Surprised, though.

Reactions: 3 users
The system sucks. Even hospital medicine is getting saturated as well.
This is what I was gonna ask. Wouldn't internal med feel the same squeeze? More residents and similar work setting. I guess they could do outpatient but it seems like most want to do inpatient work

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I was gonna ask. Wouldn't internal med feel the same squeeze? More residents and similar work setting. I guess they could do outpatient but it seems like most want to do inpatient work

Yeah. Bunch of places are hiring NP. Just went to interview today and the CEO told me straight that he is hiring some NP instead of all docs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
EM is a field of youngsters. Many older docs have already retired. Wouldn’t count on it.
Curious if there is data on this or if the ACEP study touched on this. In many midwest state 40-50% of all EM jobs are held by FM/IM docs who were grandfathered in before EM was an official specialty. Surely a large chunk of these old school PC taking up a decent chunk of jobs are on the verge or retirement (especially in ED where everyone seem to retire relatively early).