Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Current hospital jobs and future residencies

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by c0mpletec0ntrol, Mar 22, 2007.

1. c0mpletec0ntrol

Pre-Medical
    This is probably the wrong forum to post this sort of question on, but nonetheless I was curious that if a premedical student had a long standing position at a hospital (think PCT/CNA), would that future doctor have a greater opportunity to obtain residency there?

I sincerely doubt it would matter in the least, but I think its a valid question.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Coastie

Coastie Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably not.

If you became buddies with every doctor within a certain department, and said doctors didn't leave or the political winds didn't change by the time you applied for residency, then I imagine it *might*.

4. boarderdoc

Pre-Medical

I've been an ER tech for quite a while and both places I worked at would be more inclined to rank me highly for residency (provided my board scores, letters of rec, etc. were good) since they already know me--that's how I easily got into one med school.

5. Krisss17

Other Health Professions Student
    Well, actually I think that assuming you have the basic criteria that they are looking for (board scores, etc.), some residency programs may look more favorably upon you. They are making a major investment when they choose a resident and having a resident that has a good work history is great PR.

I would think that unless it is a highly competitive program, you would definitely have a plus.