1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Current hospital jobs and future residencies

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by c0mpletec0ntrol, Mar 22, 2007.

1. c0mpletec0ntrol

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is probably the wrong forum to post this sort of question on, but nonetheless I was curious that if a premedical student had a long standing position at a hospital (think PCT/CNA), would that future doctor have a greater opportunity to obtain residency there?

I sincerely doubt it would matter in the least, but I think its a valid question.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Coastie

Coastie Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably not.

If you became buddies with every doctor within a certain department, and said doctors didn't leave or the political winds didn't change by the time you applied for residency, then I imagine it *might*.

4. boarderdoc

Pre-Medical

I've been an ER tech for quite a while and both places I worked at would be more inclined to rank me highly for residency (provided my board scores, letters of rec, etc. were good) since they already know me--that's how I easily got into one med school.

5. Krisss17

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Well, actually I think that assuming you have the basic criteria that they are looking for (board scores, etc.), some residency programs may look more favorably upon you. They are making a major investment when they choose a resident and having a resident that has a good work history is great PR.

I would think that unless it is a highly competitive program, you would definitely have a plus.