Current IM PGY1 interested in switching to Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope all is well for everyone here. I am currently a PGY1 at an IM program at a Top 10 medical school. I got decent Scores on my Step 1--(between 215 and 220) and got around 230 on my step 2. I am now almost at the end of my internship and I find myself incredibly discontent with my career choice 2/2 stress from constant rounding, endless calls, etc and Rads appeals to me because it appears more cerebral and seems to allow more time to think rather than just endless scut (I have been so busy this year that I have barely read anything). The only problem is that I have not been able to do any research/obtain any letters of rec from radiologists (I have been IM categorical). Any advice on what I should do-- would it be okay if I were to apply to Rads with these numbers and with the dean's letter/letters of rec I used to apply to IM in the first place. Also, how does it work if you are trying to change specialties during residency. Any advice? Please help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

finish IM. 15 years from now the hard work will be a memory. uve finished a third of your residency. you are helping people. youve chosen a good life. dont quit just to change to an easier road.

finish IM. 15 years from now the hard work will be a memory. uve finished a third of your residency. you are helping people. youve chosen a good life. dont quit just to change to an easier road.

Bull****. If you really like rads go for it. If you want to it because it's the easy road, forget about it. As for how to go about it, I really don't know. But I feel your pain. I'm at the end of a medicine preliminary year, and I'm sick of it. Thank god I made the right choice the first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is horrible advice. Life is short, you should spend it doing something that you love. If you are really discontent and don't see yourself being happy with what you will be doing once you get done with IM residency (i.e. should you suck it up for good reason), looking elsewhere is a good thing for yourself and the family that will have to live with you. Yeah, so he/she's spent 1 year doing his IM internship... 15 years from now THAT year will be a distant memory. And big deal, all that means is he doesn't have to do internship again!!

For whatever reason, if you think rads is for you, and keep in mind that it definitely has its own set of stresses, spend some more time getting exposed and make sure (any electives remaining?). Have a sit down with your PD or another faculty mentor and see if there is any way that you can put your residency on hold after June and spend this next year in the lab while you apply to rads. I would also meet with the PD of the rads program at your hospital, they could definitely give some advice as they've probably seen situations like yours many times before. That seems like it might be the best way to go, but it depends on your situation.

Best of luck. Rads is an awesome field.

ur an idiot. every argument has two sides. "this is horrible advice." he can do a fellowship after IM and do something awesome like GI. all u do by saying someones advice is horrible is discredit yourself.

ur an idiot. every argument has two sides. "this is horrible advice." he can do a fellowship after IM and do something awesome like GI. all u do by saying someones advice is horrible is discredit yourself.

First of all, I did more than just say your advice was horrible.

Second of all, I addressed the whole after residency thing. Read my post: "If you are really discontent and don't see yourself being happy with what you will be doing once you get done with IM residency (i.e. should you suck it up for good reason)..." What that means is "look and see what you can do after IM residency." Sorry about my wording for those that can't read between the lines.

If you want, I'll break it down further. My advice to the OP:
1.) Is there anything that will make you happy within the broad field of IM?
2.) Explore radiology and see if you really like it.

Trying to see both sides,

Chooch