Current Issue in Vet. Med. (NY Times Articles)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okemu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People looking for current issues in veterinary medicine might be interested in reading this article published today in the New York Times.
A New Problem for Farmers: Veterinarians in Short Supply

And speaking of the New York Times, there was an article yesterday that also speaks about an issue that may affect veterinary medicine today. I highly recommend that you read this article all the way through, and I would love to hear opinions on it. I think it is well written and the author has made a clear effort to present both sides fairly, which I really appreciated.
Designer-Dog Fights: The Modern Kennel Conundrum

Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can never beat a mutt for adaptability and personality. And I'm all for crossing two purebred strains to try to get good characteristics from both - that's what created the purebred lines way back when anyway. But breeding a mutt and then giving it a fancy name for the sole purpose of justifying its fancy price tag...

It upsets me if for no other reason than it makes all the wonderful "natural" mutts of the world even less adoptable. (What do you mean "shepherd mix"? Doesn't it have some kind of name I can tell the ladies at the PTA?)

One of the techs at the shelter I volunteered at always used to say the dog she rescued off the street was a "lab-a-pit"...

“If you have livestock, sooner or later you’re going to have deadstock.”

Ha! Oh god... That is so terribly wrong, and hilariously morbid...

as opposed to what...meatstock?

(not that this word makes sense or anything"