Current Junior with a low science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwi3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a URM, and I am junior at a large university. I want to take my MCAT and apply in the summer but I am a bit worried about my stats. My science GPA is probably around a 2.7-2.8. My CumGPA is around a 3.2 currently with a non science major. I have done a lot of leadership activities (executive boards, leadership programs, mentor programs, etc), I just started volunteering a hospital every week, my job is medically related, and I have done over 500 hours of non medical community service. I am just worried about my GPA. The one thing that really attributed to my low grades was a blood disorder. I have had it for years and in college, it has caused me to be hospitalized many times and has caused a vehicle accident that I was in. The side effects of the medicine hinders my performance in school. With these stats and a good MCAT score will I be able to get in anywhere?

Thank you so much for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to call. We've rejected URMs with stats in your numbers range, but I can't predict how other schools would fare. Keep in mind that med school is HARD, and you'll be dealing with subjects you haven't taken. A LOT of subject material. With the side effects of your medication, can you handle that?

PA or nursing school might be a better option.

Also, see how URMs fare in terms of avg MCAT score and GPAs at the historically black medical schools.

Hello!

I am a URM, and I am junior at a large university. I want to take my MCAT and apply in the summer but I am a bit worried about my stats. My science GPA is probably around a 2.7-2.8. My CumGPA is around a 3.2 currently with a non science major. I have done a lot of leadership activities (executive boards, leadership programs, mentor programs, etc), I just started volunteering a hospital every week, my job is medically related, and I have done over 500 hours of non medical community service. I am just worried about my GPA. The one thing that really attributed to my low grades was a blood disorder. I have had it for years and in college, it has caused me to be hospitalized many times and has caused a vehicle accident that I was in. The side effects of the medicine hinders my performance in school. With these stats and a good MCAT score will I be able to get in anywhere?

Thank you so much for reading!

Hard to call. We've rejected URMs with stats in your numbers range, but I can't predict how other schools would fare. Keep in mind that med school is HARD, and you'll be dealing with subjects you haven't taken. A LOT of subject material. With the side effects of your medication, can you handle that?

PA or nursing school might be a better option.

Also, see how URMs fare in terms of avg MCAT score and GPAs at the historically black medical schools.

Hi Goro! Thank you for responding. Also thank you for your honest opinion. Now, I am on a stable medication that has lessened the side effects of my disorder and I am able to stay awake, not be dizzy/passing out at school or during exams, and I am no longer queasy, don't need blood transfusions, etc. It just took me all this time to find one. I have looked at historically black medical schools and I plan to apply to those as well. I will look into PA and nursing school as an option, with my primary goal to become a physician. Do you think if I got a high MCAT score it would help my admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
For an MD school, you're going to have to get that GPA up and do well on the MCAT, even as a URM. Have you thought about D.O. school? Grade replacement policy will let you get that GPA up pretty quick and do well enough on the MCAT can land you a spot.

If you want to be a physician, don't be a PA or a Nurse.

For an MD school, you're going to have to get that GPA up and do well on the MCAT, even as a URM. Have you thought about D.O. school? Grade replacement policy will let you get that GPA up pretty quick and do well enough on the MCAT can land you a spot.

:thumbup:

How many credit hours of science classes have you taken?

I have thought about DO school, and I am looking into that as well. I have one more semester before I apply, so I'm planning on my gpa to to raise a little bit then. Is there a MCAT score range I should be trying to get? Thank you for the advice!

How many credit hours of science classes have you taken?

I have taken 9 in Chem, 7 in Bio, Anatomy, and I am currently enrolled in Physics. So in total 20 credit hours.

It could. Definitely aim for >30, and suggest taking some anatomy or physiology, and either biochem, genetics or cell bio. Show us you can handle the crucible of medical school.

Okay thanks. I am either thinking about taking the MCAT in May or June, so I should have ample time to study. I have already taken anatomy and microbiology, and I might take genetics in the summer but I'm not sure yet.