Current list of DO-friendly family residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a list? Most of the posts I see are from several years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have a list? Most of the posts I see are from several years ago.
Most family medicine programs are DO friendly. However, when in doubt, email the program coordinator and ask. I applied to 2 specialities at the time and there really is no comprehensive list as things change year to year, so you really just have to do the leg work. But in general family medicine is very DO friendly, so it really shouldn't take a lot of time to find programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What derm/orthopedic surgery residency programs are DO friendly?

Apply community and low tier FM in flyover country, and broadly, at least 100 programs. That ought to keep you safe. Absolutely stay away from the coasts unless you have an in. Its okay to only have 2-3 1st author pubs as long as they are specialty specific and at least a NEJM level, JAMA is alright, but definitely avoid lancet as they published that Wakefield guy and are basically tabloid level at this point. Try to do away's and get big name PD's to write your letters and go to bat for you.

Top quartile rank and honors pass for all core rotations are of course expected. Even so you are gonna need to have a backup in community pathology. I would apply to some prelim surgery if the app was weak and you needed some time to build up. Man you got this, just gotta gun a little more. You can always fall back to peds if you fail. I believe in you, you can do FM, be a feel good story!*

*This is a serious answer for a serious question! ;)

Reactions: 1 users
As a DO I need to moderate my expectations :-(

That's loser talk. I'm a DO and I managed to hyperspecialize. I did a Jewish dermatology residency with a fellowship in rare dysplasias of the squamous cells directly to the right of the second toe. You should see the consulting fees I pull in from nail polish companies.

Reactions: 1 users
That's loser talk. I'm a DO and I managed to hyperspecialize. I did a Jewish dermatology residency with a fellowship in rare dysplasias of the squamous cells directly to the right of the second toe. You should see the consulting fees I pull in from nail polish companies.
Me too, I am going to specialize in cranial OMT. There is literally no midlevel encroachment, no nurse can do what I do!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so specialized I deal exclusively with Kluver-Bucy syndrome. Needless to say, my clinic days are pretty wild.

What about chiropractors? I hear it's basically the same thing?
Haha, surely you gest, no brutish chiropractor with their high velocity high amplitude treatment could comprehend the subtlety of shifting SBS. I am as worried about Chiropractors being able to do cranial as I am about MDs being able to treat 'the whole patient.' Neither is a possibility.

Us Osteopaths have unique skills that no other branch of medicine can compare too, and the government recognizes it as well. Thats why we can bill more than MDs with the addition of simple holistic value based Osteopathic Manipulation. Eat your heart out MDs I partied thru undergrad and medschool and I get to make more for the same position:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Haha, surely you gest, no brutish chiropractor with their high velocity high amplitude treatment could comprehend the subtlety of shifting SBS. I am as worried about Chiropractors being able to do cranial as I am about MDs being able to treat 'the whole patient.' Neither is a possibility.

Us Osteopaths have unique skills that no other branch of medicine can compare too, and the government recognizes it as well. Thats why we can bill more than MDs with the addition of simple holistic value based Osteopathic Manipulation. Eat your heart out MDs I partied thru undergrad and medschool and I get to make more for the same position:

If this post is purely sarcasm, which I am sure it is, it may be the best thing I've seen on SDN in a long time:clap::hilarious:

I'm so specialized I deal exclusively with Kluver-Bucy syndrome. Needless to say, my clinic days are pretty wild.

I don't fix pts w/ Kluver Buch Syndrome of their symptoms bc they're not sick.