MD Fixed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad4life

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fixed. Edited comment because I couldn't figure out how to delete it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As an M0, probably nothing. Applications for research experiences open up in the fall for specific programs, or if you really want you should reach out to them and state your interest. Every hospital works differently

I got very lucky. I had a medical school located near my house (different from the medical school I attend) and the summer before I started school I cold called all the local physicians in the desired specialty I wanted to pursue and asked to do research with them. All but one physician ignored me, but the one physician who responded was open to me joining his team. I ended up getting three publications that summer and was asked to return this upcoming summer. I imagine this was an unlikely opportunity that not many others will have, but you can certainly try like I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll probably have better luck in the summer after your M1 year. It's plenty of time to do exactly what you want (quick research experience then bail). Plus, then you'll be able to take advantage of the connections you'll make next year and you'll be able to go through your school's research department.

Just go ask for case studies to write up, each doc has interesting cases etc but not all of them have students willing to write it up for them. Blah blah I really want to go into (insert their specialty here) and the rest is easy. Seeing as you just want to tick the research box.

Last edited:
Just wait until fall or even at the beginning of the next year. Contrary to popular belief, “churning out” research in 6 weeks is not always that easy. Expect to put in more hours to make it quality so that it can at least be accepted at an indexed journal. You will also have plenty of time third year to help residents with case reports if you hate retrospective cohorts

Reactions: 1 user
I hate research.
Not the best starting point, but given that you hate research and are looking for advice on how to find research at a prestigious research institute, I would recommend just cold-emailing any/every researcher and resident in the department of interest. See if anyone bites. Say you're an incoming med student with a couple of months of free/protected time etc

I will echo what everyone else here said that contacting a department and cold calling attendings is probably a good way to go. Find people in the specialties that you're interested in and tell them about your goals.

One thing I will add is that, in my experience (an M1), research opportunities are way more accessible as a medical student than as a pre-med. I remember emailing dozens of PIs during college before I finally got a position cleaning ehrlenmeyer flasks and cloning DNA... As a medical student, the first person I reached out to offered me a research position in their lab immediately. In another instance shadowing NSGY, it seemed like the residents were almost begging me to help then with their clinical projects.

The point is, please don't stress as an M0 (in February nonetheless) about finding research in medical school. Especially since you seem to be going to a pretty good institution. You're going to be more likely turning down research projects than struggling to find one.