PhD/PsyD Current Masters student with clinical research experience, Didn't get into PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freeprozac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Masters in Clinical Psych student at an Ivy League school, graduating this May. I have a lot of academic research experience and clinical experience of volunteering at an inpatient unit.
I applied to 12 programs this year, got 2 interviews but didn't get accepted. (Still waiting to hear back from one program.) I'm not sure what to do next. My current Masters is the kind that doesn't lead to licensure. I got into this program because a faculty member at the school intervened personally and wanted me to help out with research but they didn't accept any students this year into the PhD program.

Right now I have one year as an international student of being able to work (practical training) and an offer for a Counseling program (very expensive).

I can think of 3 choices:
1. I could try to get a research-related job and then reapply to the PhD. Does anyone have any feedback on how difficult it is to secure?
2. I could apply for a Masters in Counseling (and either give up on the PhD or put it on the back burner).
3. Some other choice I did not think of

Any advice you might have is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.