current mcat trends: "practical"/"nonscience" questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are people who have taken the mcat over the summer seeing a lot of random questions that seem to come from out of nowhere? an example from a passage i recently did was talking about car batteries, and then the question was "why is the car battery completely covered with plastic?" REALLY random, almost like i had to know about the engineering of a car battery to answer the question. were those kind of questions on the real deal?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I think you can expect a few practical questions like that. A lot will probably be regarding experimental set up, possible errors in materials, etc.

A great resource is the Berkeley Review books. Their practice passages always have a few questions regarding practical set up. It helped me get a better feel for the big picture science concepts too.

If you can't get the Berkeley Review books, review lab experiments. I think I'll do that too, now that I think about it. Lol... even tho the TBR books cover a lot of that stuff, it's helpful to learn how it manifests in "the real world."

pandora, where do you think we could read about lab experiments? i dont have TBR, unfortunately, since apparently its good for a LOT of different things. i also dont just want to look up random experimental protocols, as i think that would be a waste of time.