DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
This has been bothering me for a while, but I keep forgetting to ask. With the MCAT medians given in the new MSAR (with new numbers), are those the medians for JUST the new MCAT or did the AAMC convert the old MCAT to some kind of equivalent and include both old and new MCAT data?

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This has been bothering me for a while, but I keep forgetting to ask. With the MCAT medians given in the new MSAR (with new numbers), are those the medians for JUST the new MCAT or did the AAMC convert the old MCAT to some kind of equivalent and include both old and new MCAT data?
Just new

Reactions: Siromas and md-2020

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
the AAMC maintains that these two tests are completely different and should not be converted. all conversions are being done on percentiles, by third parties.

About the Ads
OP
DBC03

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Thanks! I had a feeling that was how it worked. These are for the 2016 acceptance cycles? Did most of the students apply with the 2015 MCAT or was there still a significant mix of old and new? If there was a mix, I can only guess that we wouldn't know the median of the old MCAT scores accepted, and we won't have the most accurate idea of how they will be considering MCAT scores when all they get is the 2015 MCATs?

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thanks! I had a feeling that was how it worked. These are for the 2016 acceptance cycles? Did most of the students apply with the 2015 MCAT or was there still a significant mix of old and new? If there was a mix, I can only guess that we wouldn't know the median of the old MCAT scores accepted, and we won't have the most accurate idea of how they will be considering MCAT scores when all they get is the 2015 MCATs?
1) yes the are for the 2016 cycle
2) about half were new MCAT, based on estimate from AAMC FACTS of 2016-2017 where 27,000+ were reported in new scale. With about 52,000 total applicants, it seem half were old.
3) percentile would be more than enough to estimate old/new medians. Looking for divining precise data in this instance will not make difference to applicant's analysis of where to apply

About the Ads