Current Navy Scholar here to Answer questions (HPSP & HSCP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InagStudentCICOM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question- what would you recommend I do to get a hold of my recruiter? I have tried emailing/calling/facebook messaging all the recruiters listed online, but nobody has responded. I am starting to receive interview invites, so I'd like to get the application process rolling.

Quick question- what would you recommend I do to get a hold of my recruiter? I have tried emailing/calling/facebook messaging all the recruiters listed online, but nobody has responded. I am starting to receive interview invites, so I'd like to get the application process rolling.

Great question. What is the general area/county you are in and I will try and get some contact information for you. I also have my old recruiters info I can pass along. DM if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great question. What is the general area/county you are in and I will try and get some contact information for you. I also have my old recruiters info I can pass along. DM if you'd like.
I am in the SLC, Utah area

I am in the SLC, Utah area

Here is the number for a recruiter. She can answer any immediate questions and get you in touch with someone local.
Let her know one of her collegiate scholars referred you.

‭+1 (618) 240-9436‬

Here is the number for a recruiter. She can answer any immediate questions and get you in touch with someone local.
Let her know one of her collegiate scholars referred you.

‭+1 (618) 240-9436‬
Thank you!

What is age limit to joining the Navy as an RPH?
Would previous years of work experience count towards the GS scale?

Thanks.

What is age limit to joining the Navy as an RPH?
Would previous years of work experience count towards the GS scale?

Thanks.

The GS scale isn't associated with active duty Navy. GS Scale is only associated with civilian government employees (I have never been a GS so don't quote me). Previous work experience can count toward GS scale and Navy Rank. If you have your PharmD you will easily go in as an O-3. I am unfamiliar with people who just have the BS and are an RPh. Age limit is about 39, with a waiver up to 42 I believe. If they need your skillset bad enough, they will waiver almost anything.

Navy Non-Prior Service Applicant Maximum Age is Now 39

Question for you about applicants' previous criminal history. Is it possible to DM you? The option doesn't generate on your profile

Question on HPSP- How would you differentiate the clinical opportunities offered by Navy vs. Air Force vs. Army? I heard that Navy sometimes delay the number of payback yesterday by placing you as a General Medical Officer, is that true?

Clinical opportunities are very similar. The big difference with the navy is the opportunity to do some international humanitarian relief type stuff, and the chance to do underwater medicine.
GMO years count toward your payback, so there is no delay or elongation of your time. Additionally, the Army and Air Force would place you in a similar status if you don't match. There is not a big downside to it. If you'd really like to get some solid info, call my recruiter - Rachel: She is awesome and will be able to help you out. Tell her that her Collegiate from CICOM referred you. ‭+1 (618) 240-9436‬

If you have more questions, or private questions feel free to DM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the board FIRST meets to review the Navy Pharmacy HSCP applicants?

Clinical opportunities are very similar. The big difference with the navy is the opportunity to do some international humanitarian relief type stuff, and the chance to do underwater medicine.
GMO years count toward your payback, so there is no delay or elongation of your time. Additionally, the Army and Air Force would place you in a similar status if you don't match. There is not a big downside to it. If you'd really like to get some solid info, call my recruiter - Rachel: She is awesome and will be able to help you out. Tell her that her Collegiate from CICOM referred you. ‭+1 (618) 240-9436‬

If you have more questions, or private questions feel free to DM me.

Thank you! Even though you said that the clinical opportunities are similar among branches, Navy is the only one that has academic hospitals. Do you know if those hospitals offers residency slots for Navy scholar only, or they open up to scholars from other branches as well? Why do you choose Navy over other branches?

Thank you! Even though you said that the clinical opportunities are similar among branches, Navy is the only one that has academic hospitals. Do you know if those hospitals offers residency slots for Navy scholar only, or they open up to scholars from other branches as well? Why do you choose Navy over other branches?

Not sure which academic hospitals you're speaking of. I do know that USUHS has teaching slots for clinicians, and there are LOTS of residency in the DC area for all branches.
I chose Navy for quality of life (better duty locations, etc), opportunities for international missions, and unique deployments. I have also been in the Army and new that Army medicine was just not where I wanted to be. The Air Force was a close second choice, but the recruiters were real douchebags, and my time in the Air Force was not the best experience.

Navy has a single active duty PGY-1 residency location. It’s at NMCSD (San Diego) and is billeted, not board selected. Meaning only Navy can fill it and, as far as I know, there is no preference to HPSP. In fact, this year is the first in very many that a new accession is being afforded the opportunity - in recent history it’s been more of a second tour option only. I don’t know what the plan is going forward.

There may be some shifting with all Military hospitals consolidating under the Defense Health Agency, but that seems to be in flux.

Not sure which academic hospitals you're speaking of. I do know that USUHS has teaching slots for clinicians, and there are LOTS of residency in the DC area for all branches.
I chose Navy for quality of life (better duty locations, etc), opportunities for international missions, and unique deployments. I have also been in the Army and new that Army medicine was just not where I wanted to be. The Air Force was a close second choice, but the recruiters were real douchebags, and my time in the Air Force was not the best experience.

My recruiter told me that there are 3 academic hospitals in the Navy. I am leaning towards the Navy more too but the fact that many people complain about how they delay your residency is holding me back.

My recruiter told me that there are 3 academic hospitals in the Navy. I am leaning towards the Navy more too but the fact that many people complain about how they delay your residency is holding me back.

Have you talked to any actual Navy Docs? If you get in touch with a recruiter, that is something you can ask of them. They were more than happy to put me in touch with currently practicing Navy physicians.

Have you talked to any actual Navy Docs? If you get in touch with a recruiter, that is something you can ask of them. They were more than happy to put me in touch with currently practicing Navy physicians.

That's a brilliant idea. I will do that now ;) thank you!
Can I PM you and ask about your experience in the AF?

Why are people with ADHD that take ADHD medication not allowed to join the military? Do you see this ever changing? Crushed my dreams of being an AF pharmacist because I take ADHD medication.

Why are people with ADHD that take ADHD medication not allowed to join the military? Do you see this ever changing? Crushed my dreams of being an AF pharmacist because I take ADHD medication.

In a combat zone, you are not guaranteed to have access to your medications. Thus, if there is a med that you need to survive in a combat zone, or to survive to functional normal / as expected, it is unlike there will be a waiver/change for this rule. However, check with your air national guard units, and your army national guard units. The national guard can waive things that active duty can't.

Hi, I wonder whether it's hard to get into the HPSP now. What criterias do they look for? I'm in California now. Thank you.

Hi,

I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best

I'm actually still waiting to hear from the recruiter from my area. I spoke to the officer recruiter but he said he would pass my number along to the medical recruiter. I'm really interested in the opportunity but I have so many questions. They post on the Navy website that as a Pharmacist they work with you to keep you in the area so you can keep your civilian job, how realistic is that? I also realize that there is always a chance to deploy, what exactly does that look like for a Pharmacist, as far as chances of getting deployed and duties?

Hi, I wonder whether it's hard to get into the HPSP now. What criterias do they look for? I'm in California now. Thank you.

Hi,
They are looking for criteria that will show you will be successful in your program, and that you will be successful in the military. That includes basic academic achievement, leadership roles, physical fitness, and general motivation for serving.

If you end up going through with it, please do me a solid and PM so you can list me as a referral. I get a promotion if I refer 1 individual.

I'm actually still waiting to hear from the recruiter from my area. I spoke to the officer recruiter but he said he would pass my number along to the medical recruiter. I'm really interested in the opportunity but I have so many questions. They post on the Navy website that as a Pharmacist they work with you to keep you in the area so you can keep your civilian job, how realistic is that? I also realize that there is always a chance to deploy, what exactly does that look like for a Pharmacist, as far as chances of getting deployed and duties?

If you want to ask more specific questions, feel free to PM me. Also, if you want my recruiters number, let me know. I'll put you in touch with 2 different medical recruiters that can hook you up hopefully.
Are you looking at doing reserves? Deployment for pharmacist will look like a traditional deployment for other medical staff. Big boat, and you may be the only pharmacist aboard. Though, deployments for pharmacist are probably difficult to come by because a lot of pharmDs probably want to deploy to progress their career and to truly serve.

If you end up going through with it, please do me a solid and PM so you can list me as a referral. I get a promotion if I refer 1 individual.

Navy has a single active duty PGY-1 residency location. It’s at NMCSD (San Diego) and is billeted, not board selected. Meaning only Navy can fill it and, as far as I know, there is no preference to HPSP. In fact, this year is the first in very many that a new accession is being afforded the opportunity - in recent history it’s been more of a second tour option only. I don’t know what the plan is going forward.

There may be some shifting with all Military hospitals consolidating under the Defense Health Agency, but that seems to be in flux.
Does the navy even offer HPSP for pharmacy? I don’t think it does.

Are there opportunities to stand on a frigate with bikers, policemen, construction workers, cowboys, and Native Americans while singing songs about being in the Navy?

Does the navy even offer HPSP for pharmacy? I don’t think it does.

I honestly don’t know. They either have HPSP or HSCP - but not the other. And I can never remember which.

With the uniformed medical personnel cuts though, you’ll see a significant decrease in accession opportunities across all 3 services starting this year. They’ve committed to not “giving out pink slips” to get the numbers down. The only way to do that is by not replacing those who leave on their own via retirement or resignation.

So I actullly posted in an older thread of your but I’ll ask again here.The question I have is regarding yearly medical evaluations (PHA’s) and the commissioning physical. While in HSCP do you have to have current/up to date commissioning physical at all times while in the program. And how do they handle medical PHA’s and the commissioning physical if you are not near a MTF?

I was just notified by my Navy recruiter that I am on the HSPS waiting list but is eligible for the HSCP. I will be going to dental school this fall. After finsihing with dental school and passing the board exam, will I be commissioned (be an officer) under the HSCP program?

I was just notified by my Navy recruiter that I am on the HSPS waiting list but is eligible for the HSCP. I will be going to dental school this fall. After finsihing with dental school and passing the board exam, will I be commissioned (be an officer) under the HSCP program?
or will I stay enlisted when I start serving my active duty commitment to the Navy.

or will I stay enlisted when I start serving my active duty commitment to the Navy.
You’ll be the rank E7 (enlisted) in the program but it won’t pay for school. I think you have to do ODS during this summer beforehand also

You’ll be the rank E7 (enlisted) in the program but it won’t pay for school. I think you have to do ODS during this summer beforehand also
You're actually enlisted as E6 now. You're promoted as E7 if you give a successful referral (someone who applies and is selected to HSPS/HSCP). You're enlisted as active duty as soon as you accept the HSCP offer whereas you won't become active duty until you graduate under HSPS.

I'm currently in HSCP now, while they won't "pay for school" in the traditional scholarship way, you'll receive a salary including BAH (basic allowance for housing) which should be able to cover your tuition and living expenses. If you're curious about what the pay is, you can use online military salary calculators since it varies by region.

You're commissioned upon graduation and will go to ODS the summer you commission (ODS is for newly commissioned officers unlike OCS which is where you would commission after completion). Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Hello! I have a question about the program. I was prior enlisted in the Marine Corps, but was medically retired and placed on the permanent disability retired list. After being discharged I was also diagnosed with type 1 daibetes (in addition to the asthma and hypothyroidism that got me discharged from the USMC). Does anyone know if there is a way to get off the PDRL? And is it possible to get a wavier for T1D since I'd be a physician? I'm going to medical school, instead of pharm school, but I hope it's okay for me to post here! This thread popped up in Google and there seems to be people knowledgeable of the program here. Thanks!

Hello! I have a question about the program. I was prior enlisted in the Marine Corps, but was medically retired and placed on the permanent disability retired list. After being discharged I was also diagnosed with type 1 daibetes (in addition to the asthma and hypothyroidism that got me discharged from the USMC). Does anyone know if there is a way to get off the PDRL? And is it possible to get a wavier for T1D since I'd be a physician? I'm going to medical school, instead of pharm school, but I hope it's okay for me to post here! This thread popped up in Google and there seems to be people knowledgeable of the program here. Thanks!

Im sorry but you have no chance, regardless of your profession. Off top of my head T1DM and Asthma are automatic disqualifiers from military service and I’m pretty sure hypothyroidism is too; hence your discharge. I imagine your discharge code reflects a medical discharge and a quick google search of your code on your DD-214 would give you some intel as well. Also getting back into military with any disability rating is very difficult. It would have to be like 0-20% and something like 10% for tinnitus, and 95% of time you could only get into reserves and then try to get back to active duty that way. If you want those govt benefits, your best bet is to apply to VA after med school.

-Prior Navy Recruiter, just finished pharmacy school

Im sorry but you have no chance, regardless of your profession. Off top of my head T1DM and Asthma are automatic disqualifiers from military service and I’m pretty sure hypothyroidism is too; hence your discharge. I imagine your discharge code reflects a medical discharge and a quick google search of your code on your DD-214 would give you some intel as well. Also getting back into military with any disability rating is very difficult. It would have to be like 0-20% and something like 10% for tinnitus, and 95% of time you could only get into reserves and then try to get back to active duty that way. If you want those govt benefits, your best bet is to apply to VA after med school.

-Prior Navy Recruiter, just finished pharmacy school

Thanks so much for getting back to me with this info. I appreciate the honesty about my chances. I figured the chances were slim, but that I might as well see. Thanks again!

Hello,

I am in the process of applying to dental schools. Who might be the best person to be in contact with?

thanks

Does anyone know the policy on accepting merit-based scholarships while on HSCP? I am deciding between HPSP and HSCP, and my school offered me a generous scholarship for tuition. If I'm able to accept that scholarship then HSCP seems like a no brainer. Thank you!

Does anyone know the policy on accepting merit-based scholarships while on HSCP? I am deciding between HPSP and HSCP, and my school offered me a generous scholarship for tuition. If I'm able to accept that scholarship then HSCP seems like a no brainer. Thank you!

HSCP here; I've accepted merit scholarships from my school without a problem. I actually accepted my largest merit scholarship before my HSCP application was approved, and it was a pro for my application according to my recruiter. Hope that helps!

Definitely allowed to do both. No doubt. I accepted the scholarship and chose HSCP.

Does anyone know if you can continue to receive ACIP on HSCP? I hit my 8 year operational flight gate in the Marines and am entitled to flight pay until 18 YOS and was accepted to the 3 year HSCP. Thanks!

I have a question. What are shellbacks and pollywogs?