This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueRedGreen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am a current 2nd year in a neuro graduate program pursuing my master's (I also have the option to do a phd, but would like to apply to MD/DO programs sooner). I went to an mid ivy for undergrad, majored in bio, and achieved a very low overall gpa of 2.8--did alright in upper div sci courses--did very poorly in some humanities and prereqs. I had some family issues that turned into depression and couldn't perform well especially my last 1.5 years. I subsequently took 3 upper div sci classes at a UC (received all a's) to raise my gpa for post bacc and MS/phd applications.

I was accepted into a small research university and have been taking many graduate and undergrad/grad mixed courses. I have maintained a 4.0 and am selecting courses for this next year. Because the university is small, many of the grad courses are mixed in with undergrad students and the grading scale for each is identical. For example: Immunology is listed as both an undergrad class and a graduate course, but taught in the same room, same prof, same exams, same hw etc. I am concerned that med schools will think that the "grad" courses are easier. This is def true of the grad only courses, but the mixed grad/undergrad courses are the same at this university. I have a surplus of finished graduate credits for a MS and will graduate upon completion of my thesis. Should I just register as an undergrad instead of a grad student for these mixed classes?

The only negative is that I wouldn't be able to waive course fees for undergrad courses (I TA so I receive a tuition waiver for all grad classes). So by registering for an undergrad class I would have to pay near 1000$ per course instead of close to zero for the same class, but listed as a graduate class Thoughts?

Sorry for the length and please let me know if anything was unclear!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a stupid question, but I have a master's and there were no undergraduates in my classes/program. How would the admissions committee know it was a mixed graduate/undergraduate course?

I feel like the only way they would know is if you apply to med school where you did your master's. But I don't think there is a way for them to know otherwise. Not sure on this though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats your cGPA/sGPA for undergrad? You definitely want a 3.0 cGPA and a decent MCAT score. Might be best to finish the MS and work on boosting the ECs while you take some science courses to boost the cGPA to 3.0.

cGPA 2.8 sGPA 2.9

This is without the undergrad courses I took at the UC and the undergrad courses at my MS program. But do you understand the problem? I want to def raise this GPA but I am concerned that I won't be able to do so unless the courses are listed as "undergraduate" instead of "graduate" even though they are identical in curriculum and grading scale.

Bud just calculate all the courses at the undergrad level and see how far you need to go for 3.0