Current news from AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being on hold for 20 minutes, I was informed that AMCAS is no longer verifying applications. The representative told me that applications were mailed out the week of August 13th. She did not seem to understand when I asked her if ALL the information (the whole 19 or so paged application) was sent...yet she did state that the material sent out was NOT the summary page. So even though I submitted mine on 6/26, it was not verified, yet for some who submitted later, it was - basically it was a random process. She said that the verification process will begin in the fall and that med schools right now will have to proceed without the offical verification from AMCAS. :(

Members don't see this ad.

That can't be right. What are they doing if they're not verifying applications? What about all we've heard about how they're just about done with the EDP's and will be starting on everyone else? And the new processing time framework of 6-8 weeks?

Originally posted by SMW:
•That can't be right. What are they doing if they're not verifying applications?•

First off, if it has to do with AMCAS, I've learned that it probably can be right (well, actually more wrong than right).

I've also been wondering what the heck they are doing if not verifying applications. I mean, come on, they used to do it on paper in less time. I understand having trouble with the transmittal. However, I don't see any reason they couldn't be verifying the crap out of our applications. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools I've called have said that they are receiving paper unverified apps from AMCAS. However, a lot of them are ticked b/c it's so hard to organize and they are unprepared. Many schools have even said that this is not good enough, that they will not do anything till they start getting verified apps.

I got a message from Albany today that said, basically, the one page summary tells them nothing. To paraphrase they wrote that the process of selecting good physicians (or even just screening for secondaries which is why I think AMCAS sent them out) shouldn't be base ONLY on the numbers sent to them on one sheet of paper. I agree with them.

By the way.....a friend just called AMCAS and they said that all apps. submitted before 8/10 are still undergoing the verification process but apps. submitted after that are bypassing it and getting out. How is that for irony? You submit early and are penalized!

I know it's terrible - but apparently AMCAS is just no longer verifying apps because of all the technical difficulties (at least that's what the woman told me). She said that med schools know about this and that they will just be going by unverified apps,a nd AMCAS will resume verification in the fall - whenever that may be! She said that our grades, MCAT scores, schools will be sent to the schools. When asked if the WHOLE app will be sent, she did not answer me. She just repeated the above. I asked her if the post-sec experiences would be sent, but there was silence on her end- as if she didn't quite know what I meant. No joke. I gave up, said thanks and got off the phone.

That is totally screwed up. I can't believe it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

that's unbelievable! I didn't think this whole thing could get any worse this year, but it seems to be getting worse by the second.

My state school (I'm EDP) said that there deadlines are already going to be pushed back for EDP and I'm assuming the rest too.

What a mess.
later

The unverified applications may be correct. I received a letter from Indiana that indicated AMCAS was only going to send an unverified application, which requires all students to send yet another transcript to the school itself. I'm guessing AMCAS is doing the unverified thing for now, hoping they might be able to catch up later (in the fall) and start sending verified applications. At least this allows the schools to get started, most importantly getting it out of the hands of the AMCAS idiots. OH...what a mess!

My app has already been verified, so I'm assuming that AMCAS is sending out my verified printout?

Or are they purposefully changing my AMCAS to make it look unverified?

I'd rather not spend $5 a pop to send official transcripts to 30 schools.

Unfortunately the news from AMCAS is correct...all applications sent as of Aug 10 are NOT being verified and sent directly to schools. I asked the rep about all of the applications submitted before that date that were waiting for verification. She said that they would still be verified and will be held until that point- therefore, putting them behind all of the applications that were submitted after August 10. When I remarked how unfair that was she said " I agree that it is totally unfair, but I am not in charge". I couldn't believe it!

I checked Wash. U's status check, and it says that they have everything and will post when they get my verified AMCAS.

I sent them a copy of my AMCAS awhile back.

Since my app has already been verified, they should be receiving my verified app soon, provided that AMCAS is indeed mailing out paper apps like they say.

I'm wondering if the med schools will accept a verified printout sent from AMCAS as my official AMCAS? Or do they consider only electronic transmittal to be official?

Well, this certainly explains everything. I submitted my AMCAS on Aug 11th. I assumed it wouldn't get transmitted for a while due to the need to verify. But when I checked my printout a couple of weeks later, I noticed that, under the list of designated med schools, there were actual dates "Transmitted from AMCAS to School" starting on Aug 13th like the lady you guys talked to said. I wondered how in Hades that could've possibly happened.

Anyway, nice to know that I'll pretty much be judged on numbers alone by the schools I designated. Not like I was relying on my essays or anything.... GRRRRR!!!! :mad: