Current NOVA students- HELP please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PalCareGrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There are several of us who interviewed about three- three and a half weeks ago. Fern had told us that we could call Rogeria to find out our status after two weeks, but is that cool? Should we call her or should we wait? Do you guys know if they've sent any letters out yet (we were the first group)?

Also, a couple of questions about NOVA (because it is my first choice):

Are the students generally happy there? Is it a good atmosphere to work in? Play in? Is your experience so far what you thought it would be? Have there been any major let-downs? How is the weather (especially if you are from a cooler climate)?

Thanks for any and all help! Those of us that have been there love your school! :D

Members don't see this ad.

PCG-
I was in the same situation, so I gave in and called Rogeria yesterday. It took a while to get through, because supposedly everyone else is calling also. But when I called I found out I was accepted, so that was good news. So if you're as antsy as I was, I'd suggest calling over there now-decisions on the first round of interviewees have been made and acceptance letters are going out this week. Good luck!
-Andy

Andy, thanks for the advice (and courage). I called Rogeria and she said that things looked "very good" for me, but that she could give me the official word tomorrow afternoon.

I still would like some input from current NOVA students though about the school...

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
when were the "first round" of interviews?

i interviweed on the 12th... is that more like 3rd round?

anyways anyone got any info on how to handle all the immense amount of coursework? I've usually taken about 16 hrs per semester...i dunno how its gonna be like adjusting to the equivalent of 24 hours to even 37 hours (M2) as a med student (that is if im lucky enuf to get in)

thanks

Hey guys, I"m a 3rd year at NSU (currently in Tampa, FL doing my rotations).

To answer your question PalCareGrl, yes the students are happy there. I interviewed at other schools and have also seen MD programs and I believe the students at NSU are the happiest and friendliest I have seen. I am from the DC area and really enjoyed the weather, its Florida! You can't go wrong with FL, really. It does get pretty hot in the summer (and your electricity bill shows it) but from abuot now (mid Oct) to April the weather is unbeatable. Granted, I only have seen the Ft. Laud/Miami beach 4-5 times the two years I was down there...

As for realruby, don't worry about the courseload. Yes, it is different from undergrad, where at max people take 16-18 credits (and think that's a hard load), but in med school, it is your full time job. From 8 - 3/4/5 you are there... thats' where the big credits come from. It will definately take some time to get used to, but you'll be so pumped and full of adrenaline about starting med school that you'll be willing to do anything to learn. After a while, that buzz disappears but it disappears for everyone so don't worry about it. And if you look at the courses you'll see about 15-20 courses or so, but a lot of them are 1/2 or 1 credit classes that you take for 3-4 weeks or maybe even just once and that's it.

I am very happy with my education at NSU-COM and am glad I chose it. The education there is top notch if you allow yourself to learn. Dont' sit back and expect everything to be fed to you, you have to go try to learn for yourself and for your future patients. I did well my first two years and it shows, I am doing well in my rotations... and if I compare myself to other students from other schools, I am glad I chose NSU-COM. ;)

Thanks Quinn! I appreciate your feedback.

Ruby- I interviewed on Sept 24 (Monday). I think that was the first day(that's what they told us anyway). :)

Realruby2000: The 12th was the fifth day that Nova interviewed. I was there on that day too.

Hello and congrats to all that have been accepted! I am currently a first year at Nova and I would have liked to have been the first one who will tell you that Nova is a great place to learn medicine, but Quinn beat me to it. I can't speak for all the other students, but our class has jelled really well and everyone seems really happy. If they aren't, it certainly hasn't shown up. Everyone helps each other through every test, emailing helpful hints and other such items. We have also received a ton of help from the second year students as well which is great and I hope I can help you guys next year.

Now when you ask if it is a good atmosphere to work in, I would assume that you are thinking of a specific way that you study. I personally like the group approach where I can bounce ideas and questions off others for their input. Others seem to like to study on their own. The individual study rooms come in handy for both styles. There are plenty of them to go around and even more now that the new library has opened.

And it's a great place to play in. I come from the cold north and I am looking forward to not scraping ice off the windshield, not getting the brown salt crud all over my car, not having a windchill at all among many other things. Though I do find it ironic that I never lived within 800 miles of a beach in my life, yet I haven't been now that I live 15 miles from it. Of course it rains every day at about 2 pm for about 30-45 minutes. Then it is sunny again. Go figure. That will stop as soon as the rainy season is over.

Now for the course work. There is a ton of work to do and always more than is possible to get to, even in the first semester. But it is good work. Most of it is really interesting and since everything pertains to my future career, I find it easier to study. I never studied much before med school but I didn't find this transition to studying all the time hard at all. Seeing everyone else studying motivates you to do more work than you ever figured you would do. Everything is always over-dramatized. That is the first thing you will learn at med school.

Well back to the books. I hope this helped someone and I would be glad to help anyone with questions in the future - [email protected]

Brent

PCG,

Sorry, I meant to respond to you sooner, but me and my fellow M1 classmates have been bombarded with exams and assignments for the past few weeks. I think you should try and give admissions another call, but this time ask for someone else. You might be able to pry more information out of that person. An acceptance will come in the form of a certified letter. I almost hugged my mailman after seeing mine last year.

As for the atmosphere, I think I told you about it when you came down for your interview. I am very happy I chose this institution, and I am sure most of my fellow classmates feel the same way. Our class helps each other out rather than compete with one another. For example, if someone needs help with biochemistry questions, one of our classmates will post the answers on the internet. Also, I am confident that the education I am receiving here is training me to become a competent and compassionate physician. Our OPP (aka OMM) department has Dr. Patterson and Dr. Wallace on staff, probably two of the top professionals in that field.

I really can't say enough good things about this school and encourage anyone who gets accepted to strongly consider attending here. If you have anymore questions, feel free to write me an e-mail.

Ulyee
NSUCOM 2005
[email protected]

Hey there,

I'm an M1 at Nova. Apologies for the late reply, but I too have had my head stuck in Netter's atlas. In any case, best of luck with your (hopeful) acceptance and don't hesitate to contact the admissions office. Decisions, as you've stated, have already been made and will not reflect negatively on your matriculation!!! With regard to the school information, keep asking those questions. Speaking personally, the Nova experience is pretty much what you make it. The material to master is immense but readily digestible provided you take the necessary time. (I'm no biochem wiz and have been out of college since 1996.) The basic science faculty is generally helpful and is always available to answer your questions. The Histo prof is especially..uhm... unique and amusing and offers weekly reviews.

A few OPP comments. My classmates that know me understand that I'm full of 'em! I know Drs. Wallace and Patterson are tops in their field and bring an incredible amount of knowledge and expertise to the first year. What's especially good about Nova's OMM dept. is that it is not dogmatic. That is, you are free to be skeptical, accepting, enthusiastic, or just plain curious. They are very interested in your questions and are extremely active with the first year students in sponsoring review sections, etc. The school's curriculum is virtually "allopathic" in that the OPP courses occuply 1 hour/week and a required weekly laboratory session.... I've been incredibly satisfied with my experience so far, and the clinical resources in S. Florida are, in a word, amazing. In any case, good luck and hope to see you next year!

[email protected]
(Ben)
NSU COM c/o 2005

Thank you so much Brent, Ulyee, and Ben,
I appeciate you taking the time to share your experiences, because I realize how busy you are. I have been waiting impatiently for the mailman to bring me my letter... only so that I can send my deposit back and officially become a member of the class of 2006. I'm that excited! :D

I hope to see you all next year (thanks again for that tour and info Ulyee) and I'm sure I'll be asking more questions after my "official" acceptance. Thanks! :) Liz

Hey everyone!
I am a M1 at Nova, so I will try to answer some of your questions. Most importantly, good luck to those who have interviewed and those waiting for an interview. First off, if it has been three to four weeks since your interview and you haven't heard anything give Rogeria a call. That is how I found out. The admissions committee usually meets every two weeks to discuss and decide on 4 sets of interviews (2 sets per week: Mondays and Fridays). Once their decision is made it goes to Admissions in order for it to be presented to the dean. He reviews every file and will then sign the papers and acceptance letter. So as you can see it takes some time, plus the dean is very busy. I think it is safe to call after 3 weeks. Rogeria will tell you over the phone.

Now to the important stuff. What is Nova like? From those of you who interviewed you know that we have a brand new complex which houses several schools. The facilities are state of the art. I am extremely happy with my choice to come to Nova. I think that I can speak for many of my friends here with the same sentiments. I think the education is excellent. There is absolutely no competition among students, something that is stressed heavily by the faculty and administration since day one. Students are always willing to help each other out, whether it is through tutoring or making up flow charts for upcoming tests and distributing them to everyone etc. The faculty is excellent. All of them are teacher first and clinicians or researchers second. That is very important. There is 4 Biochemistry professors, About nine anatomy teachers, and two histology teachers. I can honestly say that not one of them is a bad teacher. Sure, you might have one or two that does not teach to your style of learning, but you will get that anywhere. They are all extremely fair and have no intentions of making life difficult for you. How is the workload? I doubt this varies among medical schools. Bottom line is that school is extremely time consuming. The information presented is not hard (you have probably seen a lot of it before) but the volume at which they deliver it is incredible. Things you may have studied a whole semester in college will be delivered to you in one week. You will get used to it though. So far there is nothing about Nova that disappoints me. I looked at several other schools and realized that Nova had what I thought was the best curriculum, a faculty that truly cares about its students, and was a school that would best prepare me for a career in medicine.
The bottom line is that wherever you go you will make great friends and probably have fun. I think the most important things to look for are the details. The details at Nova which brought me here were the facilities, the opportunity to gain clinical experience in the first month of school, the large consortium of hospitals Nova is affiliated with for rotations, Harvey, and yes the rural rotations. They may sound unappealing, but these rotations will give you more hands on experience than any other rotation. Most of the time you will be the primary provider of their care. Most of them are within driving distance. As far as South Florida, it's sunny almost every day of the year, the winters are amazing, Miami is a half hour away, Ft. Lauderdale has more thing to do than you will ever imagine…if you have the time. What more can you ask for. I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more….post them.

Rogeria told me today that I'm officially IN!!!!!! Yippie!!!! I can't wait to meet all of you guys next year! I just need to get my letter so that I can send my deposit in. :) I'm so happy right now.

Questions (as I think of them, of course):

How often are the preceptorships in the first year (every two weeks? that's what I think I remember from the tour)? How many people in your class are single? Married? does everyone (generally) hang out, get along, socialize? How close or far away do people live to the school? Can you live on the beach (not too realistic I'm sure)? Is the traffic terrible all the time?

Okay, that's it for now. I'm so excited I can't sleep! Thank you for helping us out by answering questions (especially since you're so busy). :D Liz

Members don't see this ad :)
Liz,
Congrats!!!
To answer your questions: preceptorships are every other week for 6 weeks. I don't know exact numbers of single to married, but there are quite a few of each. I think for the most part everyone gets along, but there are just too many people(220) for everyone to hang out together. I hate to say that little cliques started to form the first week. So it seems that everyone kind of has their group. Of course there is some mixing, but I still don't know probably half or more of the people in my class. As far as living, you can live anywhere you want to. I know that some people live close to if not on the beach, others in Miami, and some across the street from school. Just live where you will be happiest. Traffic is something that you have to deal with. But, depending on where you live, it can be anywhere from absolutely terrible to hardly any at all. Congrats again, ENJOY the next ten months, take care and I will see you next year!!

Zach

:D I just got off the phone with Rogeria, I got accepted also!! :D

-A

Congratulations Amra!!! :D :D :D

Zach, thanks for your insight. I appreciate it and I can't wait to be there next year! :D

Hi everyone... :)

I got the postcard saying my app was complete at NOVA almost 2 1/2 wks ago, but still haven't been contacted for an interview, and I'm starting to get worried! :eek:

How long does it usually take to hear something?? I'm so excited about possibly going to this school! (Can you tell?) :D

Congrats to the the new matriculants, future osteopaths, and residents of sunny florida!!! Don't think twice about the hefty and non refundable tuition deposits.

Just a couple of things to add here... Time spent on the IGC(Preceptorship) rotations increases during the second year. M-2's go to their doctor's offices every week and are required to sepnd time at an HMO/managed care organization. Without doubt, Nova's strength lies in its facilities and abundance of clinical opportunity.... Faculty (for the most part) are exceptionally helpful and will assist you with any difficulty, personal or academic, that you might experience during your first year. Traffic, in a word, sucks. I live about 4.5 miles from school and it takes me 30 minutes to get to Nova! If you are entertaining the possibility of living next to school (a great idea), then get down to Davie early!!! These places tend to fill up.
Best of luck and see ya next year!

Ben

Hey pushinepi2, Is there any chance of finding relatively cheap housing down there that has room for two large dogs and a wife and me? Might have to buy a house huh? Maybe I could rent it out when I leave...

Slingblade,

Its a good thing that your name includes "surgeon" as a heading, because you'll need that income to support two large dogs and a house of your own! LOL! Rent down here averages around 800+ a month, and most apartment complexes permit one dog at maximum. My complex even has this ridiculous 20 pount-exclusionary-limit criteria in its leasing agreement! Your best bet might be to contact a broker. Students frequently rent houses down here, and several townhomes are always available. Try rent free reality on Oakland Park Blvd....

PUSHinEPI2

Hi, that's my next question (thanks for bringing it up Slingblade). My boyfriend and I might be interested in renting a house. I want to stay near the school but he wants to live near the beach. My biggest problem right now is finding a good realtor who can help us look (so that we can scope out a bunch of places when we come down later on). Also, where is a good location to avoid rush hour traffic? Any suggestions, comments, etc.. would be helpful. We have a big dog (80 lbs) so we probably wouldn't be elgible for most apartments. Thanks! :D

Thanks for the nfo pushinepi2. I have one 50lb dog and one 160lb dog so I guess I am out O luck with that kind of housing there huh? It is tough to find a place that fits my needs anywhere. Here, I have a house with three fenced acres and my doggies have never been tethered to a chain in their lives. Hmmm anyone want to come live in my house and take care of my dogs while go to NOVA? :(

Strange irony.. I have a dog also.. I wonder if that was part of the acceptance criteria?

Regarding apartments.. I remember there are apt complexes in Davie for people with horses, so I am thinking that 160#'er might fit in nice... :p

-A

P.S. Woke up this morning to my acceptance letter to NOVA and LECOM. :D Today is a good day!

Hey guys,

Congrats to everyone that got in.

I would just like to re-iterate what my fellow M1's said by saying that I love NSU and I am so glad that I came here. I was recently at a Students of Osteopathic Medicine Association conference in San Diego, and I got to meet with other students from other DO schools, and I have to say that after meeting with them (they were all great people, and I am strictly referring to the programs) I am so glad and don't regret at all my decision to come to NSU.