Current NSU Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deedubs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. This is my first post. Been reading for years but now have some questions. I'm an incoming M1 at NSU. At one of the online chats a member of the faculty suggested reviewing undergrad science.

"Faculty: In preparation for your first year, it would be very helpful for you to review your basic knowledge of biology, biochemistry if you took it, physiology, anatomy, etc. Review your science concepts which you learned as undergrads. That will help you. The science content requires you to read and learn materially quite rapidly, so reviewing stuff you have already learned will really save you time."

Did any current students actually do this? I think in the past I've read that med students suggests taking it easy the summer before M1 begins. I guess my question is, "is it necessary to do this sort of review and what was you current students experience?"

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

currently at Nova...I suggest the taking it easy option. By trying to study you are only going to worry yourself and have no idea what you should be looking over anyhow. Just go in eager to learn and have fun before your 2 years of hellishness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd giva a buck to know who said that. Must have been either Block or
Dr T...

Don't even crack a book. One small peice of advise, in fact, do not buy any books at all. They are not worth it. Maybe a Netters or other atlas. Nothing more.

Thanks for the input everyone. It was actually Echols who said it.

But lets change the question up a little. What books did current NSU students or for that matter any med student find useful during M1 year. We haven't gotten a book list yet.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone. It was actually Echols who said it.

But lets change the question up a little. What books did current NSU students or for that matter any med student find useful during M1 year. We haven't gotten a book list yet.

Thanks!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh I see....
Dr. Echols is not a medical science prof nor a physician. Her phd is in teaching and she she has something to do with setting up the courses. Not to bad mouth her, as I have only seen her twice, but her take seems to be a common one among faculty that do not teach basic sciences and is really not realistic. Too much crap to learn, and no way to remember it all. BTW all that undergrad stuff, chem, o-chem, and physics will be completely worthless, so don't bother looking over it either. If you are dead set on spending some time learing something over the summer, I would suggest you read the book The House of God, as it is much more entertaining.

As I said before, do not spend a dime on a book. They are not usefull and will only confuse you more. EVERYTHING that you will ever need will be given to you in a handout. The only exception to this would be a solid anatomy book like netters only because it give you a few more ways to picture stuff. I had an old neuroanatomy, clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple, and a netters all from undergrad. The only one that got used was netters. You only have so much time to read, and its a poor use of that time to read too much.

Also, if you have not yet been told, the inverse log website will save you so much time. Go to google, search for "NOVA inverse log" and download everything!:thumbup: The biochem stuff alone is worth gold.

I'm not set on studying. lol I don't want to do a thing this summer. :)

Went to that inverse site. Looks awesome.

Thanks!!!

Echols advice may look good on paper (or email) but I would agree with all the previous posters' opinions...

absolutely no need to study anything prior to begining. I only bought the Netters anatomy book which was I found very helpful during anatomy and neuroanatomy. I have also used it during some systems courses as anatomical reference.

Relax, and enjoy your time off. Once school begins, a lot of other things will end for you :laugh: