Current or Former Pritzker Hold Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does it say it explicitly? Mine says decision hasn't been made yet is that the same as on hold? I submitted on 8/31.

Members don't see this ad.

Does it say it explicitly? Mine says decision hasn't been made yet is that the same as on hold? I submitted on 8/31.

No, that's not the same. There will be another paragaph of language (which I believe is posted earlier in this very thread) telling you that you will be reviewed again in late January.

A few things:

I was put on hold today. 41/3.96 and tons of ECs. WFT? Pritzker can suck my proverbial d*ck.

Hmmm...now I am confused because I asked again and again about the email, but she said I would not be getting one, though the hold status is correct...and I still haven't gotten an email, so I don't think it will be coming now...

According to Joni in the podcast (can't find it in the moment, but pretty sure it's in there), you will NOT receive an email notification after being placed on hold. There is also a chance that you can be offered an interview after being placed on hold, so it is most definitely not a death sentence. Therefore, I would strongly suggest that you avoid posting your identity and, at once, suggesting that Pritzker engage in oral intercourse, as that's what's usually considered "something not to do during the application process," assuming you're still looking to gain admission.

Incidentally, she also goes into their rationale for accepting/holding/rejecting applicants...worth a listen for those of you who are a little frustrated at this point.

After hearing from current students about the 8-6 classwork and that their favorite weekend activities are going to the library, I almost feel Pritzker did me a favor by sending me a thin envelope.

Not sure who you were talking to, but I can honestly say that this is highly atypical of Pritzker students. Labs aren't even scheduled until 6, and having been an anatomy TA in the past, I can tell you that most people leave well before 5 every day. I will reiterate, too, that we don't have class from "8-6" straight. There are a few lectures and a lab every day at the most. If I were forced to be in class for more than a few hours at time every day, I think I would kill myself. Alas, I'm still here, spreading the truth.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
A few things:

According to Joni in the podcast (can't find it in the moment, but pretty sure it's in there), you will NOT receive an email notification after being placed on hold.

For what it's worth, they're definitely sending some mixed messages about this process. Yesterday, the woman answering the admission line eventually transferred me to someone else (didn't catch her name) who seemed to speak with much more authority about the status of my application, and who point blank told me that I would be receiving an email about my hold status in addition to the hold status that was just posted on my status page.

No biggie, but I thought I'd point out the discrepancy. Makes me want to call AGAIN next week to ask, but I fear that when you call and they know your name before you even say it, it's not a good sign! ;) I'll check out the podcast tonight. Thanks!

Yesterday, the woman answering the admission line eventually transferred me to someone else (didn't catch her name) who seemed to speak with much more authority about the status of my application, and who point blank told me that I would be receiving an email about my hold status in addition to the hold status that was just posted on my status page.

Good to know. I just emailed Joni to doublecheck...will let you know what I hear. As far as I'm concerned, call as often as you like to get whatever information you need. As long as you're courteous and not annoying about the frequency with which you're calling, it shouldn't be a problem.

On a related note, no one should ever be surprised if someone isn't the Nicest Person Ever on the other end of the line every time you call, either at Pritzker or anywhere else...can you imagine how many calls they must get like that every day? It could be a full time job. Suffice it to say, don't base your decision on a school because you had a bad tele-experience with a secretary once. That would be considered "overthinking things." Conversely, if you decided between two schools on the basis of which had nicer phone-answering staff, that would be what some would consider "crazy."

Good to know. I just emailed Joni to doublecheck...will let you know what I hear. As far as I'm concerned, call as often as you like to get whatever information you need. As long as you're courteous and not annoying about the frequency with which you're calling, it shouldn't be a problem.

On a related note, no one should ever be surprised if someone isn't the Nicest Person Ever on the other end of the line every time you call, either at Pritzker or anywhere else...can you imagine how many calls they must get like that every day? It could be a full time job. Suffice it to say, don't base your decision on a school because you had a bad tele-experience with a secretary once. That would be considered "overthinking things." Conversely, if you decided between two schools on the basis of which had nicer phone-answering staff, that would be what some would consider "crazy."

nosugrefneb,

You are a very nice med student for helping those of us that are Pritzker crazy get through their process...I am sure I am not alone in saying that your help is much appreciated! :thumbup:

My hold came in the day after I noticed it on my status page. Not sure if I had checked the day before that or not, so it could have been two days.

Joni must be out of town or something...she almost always emails me back within 2 minutes. Will let you know when I hear for sure.

Here is the official e-mail. Sorry about the formatting, I copied and pasted rather than typing the thing out.

"Dear Applicant:

Your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions and has been placed on hold for a second review after a greater number of candidates have been screened. The date of this second review cannot be stated with certainty. You will be notified by February 15 if you are to be invited for interviews.

You should arrange for copies of your fall quarter or semester grades to be sent to the Office of Admissions. We would be happy to receive any additional materials you might wish to submit as well: honors, awards, special recognition, abstracts or other publications, etc.

If you feel it necessary to contact us for any reason, please send an email to [email protected]. We will respond to you as quickly as possible.

The Committee on Admissions appreciates your interest in the Pritzker School of Medicine and wishes you the best of success in the application process.

Office of Admissions Staff

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal. Thank you."

I stand corrected.

From Joni:
"People are sent a letter stating that they have been placed on hold, and then also have it on the portal."

I stand corrected.

From Joni:
"People are sent a letter stating that they have been placed on hold, and then also have it on the portal."

It looks from the post right above yours that it's via email, not snail. Which makes me wonder again if my hold is real since I haven't received anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too....I found out via the status page on 9/7...though I called to confirm that the hold status is real, I am confused as to why I did not get an email and why I was told that I should not get an email...

Correct. Email, not regular mail. From the sounds of it, that would get expensive.

Why would it get expensive? They have a ton of people on hold? I figured it wasn't that many. And they do send snail mail rejections (but send emailed invites), so I'm guessing cost isn't a factor.

EDIT: I just called, and apparently the woman who usually sends out the correspondence (Juana) has been out for awhile and is still not in (she was the one they had told me to call last Wed to speak to and then that she'd be in instead this Mon). So, I'm guessing that there's a backlog of people who will be receiving their emails and letters from Pritzker once she comes back, or someone else takes over. Bottom line: go by what your status page says regardless of whether you receive confirmation. I'm sure we'll get the email eventually.

Why would it get expensive? They have a ton of people on hold? I figured it wasn't that many. And they do send snail mail rejections (but send emailed invites), so I'm guessing cost isn't a factor.

No no, I have no idea how many people are on hold (I've just been hearing a lot about all the holds across all the forums).

FYI: I just got the official hold email today. It was posted on my status page on 9/19.

"Your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions and has been placed on hold for a second review after a greater number of candidates have been screened. The date of this second review cannot be stated with certainty. You will be notified by February 15 if you are to be invited for interviews."

I still haven't gotten a rejection letter or e-mail...the least they can do for the application fee.

FYI: I just got the official hold email today. It was posted on my status page on 9/19.

"Your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions and has been placed on hold for a second review after a greater number of candidates have been screened. The date of this second review cannot be stated with certainty. You will be notified by February 15 if you are to be invited for interviews."

Me too. Also, I guess Pritzker had a chat that is posted on their website, and based on info from that chat, there are about 250 people put on hold...a handful ended up with an interview invite. The rest of the applicants are either interviewed or rejected.

Me too. Also, I guess Pritzker had a chat that is posted on their website, and based on info from that chat, there are about 250 people put on hold...a handful ended up with an interview invite. The rest of the applicants are either interviewed or rejected.

Do you mean that a "handful ended up with an interview invite" that had previously been put on hold? Not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly....? Or do you mean that only a handful of people overall got interviews?

Do you mean that a "handful ended up with an interview invite" that had previously been put on hold? Not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly....? Or do you mean that only a handful of people overall got interviews?

A handful of the people who have been placed on hold...I can't remember what the exact number is, but I read it in the chat, and remember thinking to myself that getting an interview is extremely unlikely...

I looked it up, about 20 of the 250 people placed on hold last year were offered interviews.

A handful of the people who have been placed on hold...I can't remember what the exact number is, but I read it in the chat, and remember thinking to myself that getting an interview is extremely unlikely...

I looked it up, about 20 of the 250 people placed on hold last year were offered interviews.

better then 0

I just spoke to the admissions office, and they're apparently gearing up to start reviewing the applications that have been put on pre-interview hold. However, they do still have about 1,000 applications left to review for the first time. So far, around 560 interview invites have been given out. In the podcast they said they intend to give out between 600 to 650 invites. Interviews will be conducted up until the last day in February.

The woman I spoke to said that those of us on pre-interview hold (she said around 300 applicants) should get a decision, as to whether we're going to be interviewed, between mid-January and mid-February (depending on where our file falls in the review period). Also, if you email an update, you will receive a confirmation email back letting you know it was received. They're currently in the process of going through emails sent to them on 12/5, so there is some confirmation delay.

Not holding my breath, but I do like to know where I stand. Hope some of that helps any others out there on pre-interview hold too. :luck:

I just spoke to the admissions office, and they're apparently gearing up to start reviewing the applications that have been put on pre-interview hold. However, they do still have about 1,000 applications left to review for the first time. So far, around 560 interview invites have been given out. In the podcast they said they intend to give out between 600 to 650 invites. Interviews will be conducted up until the last day in February.

The woman I spoke to said that those of us on pre-interview hold (she said around 300 applicants) should get a decision, as to whether we're going to be interviewed, between mid-January and mid-February (depending on where our file falls in the review period). Also, if you email an update, you will receive a confirmation email back letting you know it was received. They're currently in the process of going through emails sent to them on 12/5, so there is some confirmation delay.

Not holding my breath, but I do like to know where I stand. Hope some of that helps any others out there on pre-interview hold too. :luck:

Thanks Phoenix! I am pretty sure I am going to be rejected from there as soon as they read my application and wonder what on earth they were thinking putting me on hold, but its nice to know when we should expect the update...if they are gearing up to do the second review, I guess I better get working on an update letter...

Thanks Phoenix. You are the greatest. I second your idea chickenlittle.

Just thought I'd bump this thread since I saw SnoPearl (who was put on pre-interview hold in November) just got an email invite today from Pritzker. Guess they're not necessarily waiting until the end of January to re-review and invite some people on hold. Good luck those of you still waiting! :luck:

Just thought I'd bump this thread since I saw SnoPearl (who was put on pre-interview hold in November) just got an email invite today from Pritzker. Guess they're not necessarily waiting until the end of January to re-review and invite some people on hold. Good luck those of you still waiting! :luck:
oy vey...good luck to everyone who is waiting!

plz plz plz plz plz

Heheheh. Good luck jong!

Oddly enough, I had a dream last night where I went to the admissions office to try to see if they had made their final decisions on who to interview, and learned that I was missing a pre-req: Intro to Ecology. I tried to convince them that I'd had more than enough ecology in my bio classes, but it didn't fly. In the end, I determined that Pritzker and I must not be a good fit, since I was not going to take ecology at this point for medical school. Needless to say, weird dream.

Heheheh. Good luck jong!

Oddly enough, I had a dream last night where I went to the admissions office to try to see if they had made their final decisions on who to interview, and learned that I was missing a pre-req: Intro to Ecology. I tried to convince them that I'd had more than enough ecology in my bio classes, but it didn't fly. In the end, I determined that Pritzker and I must not be a good fit, since I was not going to take ecology at this point for medical school. Needless to say, weird dream.
dreaming about mayo and now pritzker

this process has taken over your fantasy world

dreaming about mayo and now pritzker

this process has taken over your fantasy world

Yeah, well, it looks like my subconscious has finally written off Pritzker (back in July I had a dream that I got my first acceptance and it was from Pritzker), but still fervently yearns for Mayo. :rolleyes:

haha phoenix, you dream a lot about the whole application cycle. you jsut posted a long dream on the mayo thread.

haha phoenix, you dream a lot about the whole application cycle. you jsut posted a long dream on the mayo thread.

So I did. And so I do. I often wish I had more control of my dreams. It would make for some nice mini-vacations if I could choose instead to dream about a trip to Italy, France or Japan instead of application woes. :cool:

Just checked my status- rejected. I've been on hold since august. Boo.

Just checked my status- rejected. I've been on hold since august. Boo.

I'm sorry. :( But thanks for posting here. Good to know at least that they're updating our status pages (unlike other schools *coughNorthwesterncough*). I'm sure I'm not far behind you with a Pritzker rejection, but my status page hasn't changed yet. I guess they're just methodically moving through all of our hold apps this month.

I just called and the woman in admissions said that they're going through all of the pre-interview hold applications now, and that we should all hear back within the next couple of weeks. So, we'll probably have a determination by the end of January. Good luck guys!

I hate to say it, but regardless of the determination, closure will be nice. I can't wait for the application process to be over! And I feel like I've been on hold at Pritzker forever and a day.

alas i will never taste chicago style pizza from chicago.

I just called and the woman in admissions said that they're going through all of the pre-interview hold applications now, and that we should all hear back within the next couple of weeks. So, we'll probably have a determination by the end of January. Good luck guys!

I hate to say it, but regardless of the determination, closure will be nice. I can't wait for the application process to be over! And I feel like I've been on hold at Pritzker forever and a day.

Thanks for calling Phoenix... I have to agree with you... it was nice (although painful) to finally hear something from NW.. Hopefully by some slim, deity-inspired chance Pritzker will give us an interview.

Thanks for calling Phoenix... I have to agree with you... it was nice (although painful) to finally hear something from NW.. Hopefully by some slim, deity-inspired chance Pritzker will give us an interview.

Yeah, a Pritzker interview would be nice, but I have pretty much written it off. I just keep checking my status page for closure. So, how about instead I hope that by some freakishly lucky chance we get acceptances to JHU and Mayo? ;)

And sorry about that jonqproject. But you know, you can always visit Chicago to sample our pizza....

Yeah, a Pritzker interview would be nice, but I have pretty much written it off. I just keep checking my status page for closure. So, how about instead I hope that by some freakishly lucky chance we get acceptances to JHU and Mayo? ;)

Keeping my hopes up phoenix... good luck.

Anyone hear anything about their hold status in the past few days? I was put on hold on 9/07 and I haven't heard yet...my status page still says hold...

I am also still on hold... I just want closure.. or an interview... c'monnnnn pritzker

Nothing new yet??? How frustrating! While I am 99.9 percent positive that I will be rejected, I just have that tiny bit of hope that they may yet decide to give me a chance...I called today, but they weren't very helpful, they said it could be a couple of weeks (I thought they stopped interviewing at the end of Feb???). Has anyone else tried to call or heard anything? Thanks!

Nothing new yet??? How frustrating! While I am 99.9 percent positive that I will be rejected, I just have that tiny bit of hope that they may yet decide to give me a chance...I called today, but they weren't very helpful, they said it could be a couple of weeks (I thought they stopped interviewing at the end of Feb???). Has anyone else tried to call or heard anything? Thanks!

I'm still on hold too, and would just like closure at this point so I can stop checking my status page and consider my application/interview process over. When I last spoke to Pritzker on 1/22 they said that we'd all hear back within the next couple of weeks, and that they interview through February (and that there are still slots open). So, it's just a few more weeks of patience. It will all be over before we know it. :oops:

I got my rejection letter off of the hold status on Saturday. The paper Pritzker uses burns very slowly.

I got my rejection letter off of the hold status on Saturday. The paper Pritzker uses burns very slowly.

That's odd... I saw that I was rejected on the status page weeks ago but I have yet to receive a letter. Not that I want one at this point. When you already know, it's like they're rubbing it in your face. (Which is totally untrue, it just feels like it)

I had stopped caring/paying attention to Pritkzer a while ago, so I don't know when it changed on the status page.