Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Current Pharmacy student thinking about switching to MD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by iggles, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. iggles

iggles 5+ Year Member

I'm a P1 having second thoughts about my career choice and want to consider my options. I am currently enrolled in an accelerated pharmacy program that is based off a Pass/No pass curriculum. Since I have below avg undergrad stats for medical school I would somehow have to present my first year pharmacy school grades as the main centerpiece of my application. Considering I am taking Pass/No Pass classes how should I go about including this in my app? Is there a way I could submit my pharmacy transcript to AMCAS? Would admission committees even care about what I did in my P1 year or is my undergrad GPA more important? Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    1) The AMCAS application includes a transcript of all post-high school coursework that you fill in. Pass/No Pass designations can be entered.
    2) You are required to submit a transcript sent directly from each institution you've attended so that the transcript you filled out can be certified as accurate.
    3) Undergrad GPA is most important, as it's the only measure by which all applicants can be compared. Pass/No Pass science-intense grad-level grades won't do anything to redeem a "below-average" undergrad performance, as the excellence or mediocrity of your academic achievement isn't differentiated.

gyngyn likes this.
  4. mik30102

mik30102 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Pm me op :). But unfortunately you have no way to include a pass/fail class in your gpa. What undergrad gpa are we talking here? Do you plan to finish out the Pharm D (since im told schools dont like poaching people from other programs).

5. jagster92

jagster92 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Many of the courses in the P1 year are pretty much upper level courses of a 4yr undergrad degree (e.g. physiology, immuno, biochem), so I'd say these are still looked upon relatively highly, much like undergrad courses.

6. iggles

iggles 5+ Year Member

I'll pm you.

If anyone can chime in and give their input I would greatly appreciate it. I graduated with a human bio degree from a university 3.0 cum 2.9 sgpa. Assuming I got my act together and made dean's list both semesters in pharmacy school would my undergrad GPA still stop me from getting an interview? If its possible what MCAT score should I shoot for? If I have a year of research, good LOR's and personal statement, a lot of volunteering/shadowing experience, and excellent interview skills what would be my chances of getting into an MD school in the US?

7. IL Pre Med

IL Pre Med 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    With that GPA you'd need around a 42-43 MCAT to get your application some attention. Good luck.

8. mik30102

mik30102 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    You would need to ask some adcoms how they would view a high pharmacy gpa with a low undergrad. I dont undetstand how you would even have a gpa though if your program is pass/fail. I would start looking into DO programs, and start retaking until your in the 3.5 range. Your also assuming your gonna do very well at pharmacy school. Its no cakewalk and average at my school is generally a bit above a B which really would not do you to many favors.

9. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Yes, a GPA that low will stop you from getting any interviews. You should shoot for as high as possible, it can only help the higher is goes.

10. jagster92

jagster92 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    I second this. As a general rule graduate gpas are inflated so i think they are looked upon in that light, and in a pharmacy program you likely aren't getting the benefit of that inflation because it's much more difficult than something in public health, post-bacc, etc. And if you aren't getting any grades in pharmacy (i.e. it's all P/F), you'll have to switch programs first and retake courses elsewhere.

mik30102 likes this.
  11. darklabel

darklabel MS3 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is your pharm school expensive? I would look into dropping out ASAP and doing undergraduate work and utilizing grade replacement for DO replacement then. If the pharm schools are only P/F, then I don't see the benefit of continuing and increasing your debt load and it sounds like getting Dean's Lists may be a crap shot not worth aiming.

Good thing you changed your mind early though.

12. ewax

ewax 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Get out of pharmacy ASAP. The market is saturated in most big cities and the jobs that still do exist (ie. retail), usually end up sucking donkey balls.

About the ads