Current/recent UPenn Postbacs: Chances of linking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty Doodle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of bad things about UPenn's support system, especially when it comes to linking, but the info seems to be a couple of years old. Any new insights? Do any current or recent post-bacs (for pre-health) know anyone who is linking and if so where are they going?

Members don't see this ad.

Why not read our 11 page old thread and ask the questions in there?....

A quick read there will address your questions.

But that being said, the linkage options are posted on the UPenn website so those are your only options. People are in the process of now finding out about their SSP linkages and most of the PH ppl i know have their links in place and just have to take the MCAT in April and get the required score.

I've read it and it didn't give me clear answers. I'm not interested in getting responses from the same people who wrote what I've already read--thinking maybe some former UPenn post-bacs don't go through the entire 12 page thread and would see my question as its own thread more readily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what are your questions? You initial post was rather vague and not specific.

The GPA requirements have gone up as have the MCAT scores.

But until you ask a question, its hard to answer.

The insight would be its tough to get and tough to figure out.

I read that Penn does not provide very much support to people who want to link. Where Goucher people rave that their school does so much for them, I have heard mostly bad things about Penn. Also I read posts from 2008 saying the director was not very good--has the director changed?

If you know anyone who is linking, where are they trying to go? I'd also like to know if Penn tells you where you should apply or if they just let you choose your link (I think better if they tell me where I have a realistic shot at getting in). Am also interested in hearing acceptance rates for linkage applicants from Penn. I have the impression that people from Goucher, Bryn Mawr and Scripps have an easier time linking but want to hear stories of people from Penn who have successfully linked.

Thanks.

I read that Penn does not provide very much support to people who want to link. Where Goucher people rave that their school does so much for them, I have heard mostly bad things about Penn.
I'm not sure whether you are reading recent things (2009 onwards or not) but I would argue there is mostly good press here and I think its newmansown or mentions the number of Penn post-bacs in his med school class. So i'd say there are definitely more positive than negative.
Also I read posts from 2008 saying the director was not very good--has the director changed?.
We are currently directorless and we've had 3 in two years before that. The position is a bit of a disaster but people are still linking and getting in so it can't have affected that at all
If you know anyone who is linking, where are they trying to go? I'd also like to know if Penn tells you where you should apply or if they just let you choose your link (I think better if they tell me where I have a realistic shot at getting in). Am also interested in hearing acceptance rates for linkage applicants from Penn. I have the impression that people from Goucher, Bryn Mawr and Scripps have an easier time linking but want to hear stories of people from Penn who have successfully linked.
So i know people who are going to Drexel and Jeff this year. And i know people who went to both of those schools and I know a girl who went to UPenn SOM. Penn tells you what you are eligible for, and you apply for the linkage and they accept your offer, and then let you interview/try out with the respective med school.
Penn pre-health claims 95% of ppl get into med school but i dont think its that high based on what i see and hear. Most ppl don't link as its kinda a pain in the ass and pretty strict and not everyone here is fresh from undergrad.
IF you could get into Goucher/BM/Scripps - i'd go there. But Penn is a great backup IMO should those fall through

Awesome just the type of insight I was looking for!! Also sort of confirms my suspicions about UPenn but I feel the same way a good back up if I don't get into Goucher (couldn't apply for the other 2 because I don't have academic references--it's been way too long!).