Current status of MCG/GRU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RapSeqInt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I could find it seems like their program has gone through a garbage disposal in the past few years. Can anyone tell me if it's gotten better since they got a new program director last year? Just wondering if I should keep this program in my back pocket as a backup or just decline the interview altogether. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely would not take the advice of internet posters on whether to keep or cancel an interview. If you're a highly competitive candidate and have over 10 interviews with maybe 1 or 2 mid tier programs as backup, then by all means cancel it. On the other hand, if you're on the lower end and have a few interviews at mid and lower tier programs, then keep it and make the judgment yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely would not take the advice of internet posters on whether to keep or cancel an interview. If you're a highly competitive candidate and have over 10 interviews with maybe 1 or 2 mid tier programs as backup, then by all means cancel it. On the other hand, if you're on the lower end and have a few interviews at mid and lower tier programs, then keep it and make the judgment yourself.

Didn't mean to imply I was asking for advice about whether I should drop the interview. I more meant I was looking for information about the program in order to make that decision myself. Thanks, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently interviewed with the program and was pleasantly surprised after reading the negative PR.

Its true that the program has undergone some changes. But it appeared to me, that things were heading in the right direction.

The new chairman is from MGH and has brought with him a slew of changes to the program. They recently got rid of several faculty members who were not seen as positive contributors to the program, and hired 5 new faculty members to replace them. I even had the opportunity to speak with some of them and I was very impressed with their vision for the program over the next 5 years.

Every year they have been changing the advanced positions they offer to categorical, 3 spots at a time, so that within the next couple of years all positions will be categorical.

Last year they finished a new education facility on campus and it is quite possibly the nicest building I've seen on the interview trail. The sim lab was pretty incredible. Not new mention the amazing new lecture halls.

It did seem that the residents work hard (which depending on how you look at it, could be viewed as a positive or a negative) and you dont get some transplant exposure (no hearts, no lungs, no livers), and this was really the only down side to the program that I picked up on.

Overall, I was impressed with the program and realized that it was not what some people had made it out to be on these forums and such.

Couple points...

1. They didn't fire those 4 faculty members because they were negative influences (though that's what was told the applicants on interview day). Those physicians chose to leave due to the state of the program.
2. The program is on a 'warning status', which seems to be a step below probation. Unsure of what measures are needed to regain good standing.
3. Though they admit things are improving, every resident I talked to said "don't come here". That's a red flag that's hard to ignore.
4. Gaswork lists fourteen open faculty spots
5. FWIW, the typical class breakdown is 1-2 US MD, 1-2 US DO, 4-5 US IMG, and 4-5 IMG. Make of that what you will.

Edit: I think it could be a solid middle-tier program in 5-10 years. Unfortunately, I'll be done training before then.

I think if you are self guided and driven, and are willing to contribute to a changing program, and have the desire to be able to shape the direction and structure of the program you're attending, then GRU may be for you.

Using the composition of the class (i.e. # of USMD's vs IMG's etc) to judge the quality of the program is sort of moot, it doesn't really make any sense. Even top tier programs take a certain number of IMG's/DO's.

Also, if you are looking for a program in or near GA, with the potential to stay on as a faculty member, this may be the program for you. Just depends where your priorities lie.

I think if you are self guided and driven, and are willing to contribute to a changing program, and have the desire to be able to shape the direction and structure of the program you're attending, then GRU may be for you.

Using the composition of the class (i.e. # of USMD's vs IMG's etc) to judge the quality of the program is sort of moot, it doesn't really make any sense. Even top tier programs take a certain number of IMG's/DO's.

Also, if you are looking for a program in or near GA, with the potential to stay on as a faculty member, this may be the program for you. Just depends where your priorities lie.

My friend did locums there for a bit. Here's what I was told.

The only faculty who has gotten "fired" from MCG was the former chair from 2003-2013. And leaving with a financial package close to 700k means getting fired. Sign me up!

Think two of the faculty who recently left won resident teaching awards multiple years. One left because his wife finished her fellowship and they moved to the Midwest. Another one left for private practice. And one retired. I guess those were the fired people they were talking about?

All I can say is that these were the current chair's words verbatim: "Since July, I have let 5 faculty members go, because they did not fit into the type of culture we expect here." He then mentioned that in our folder there was a pamphlet with an introduction to the new faculty members who were hired to replace those 5. Their credentials are pretty solid. A couple of them were interviewers that day. I had the pleasure of speaking with one of them myself.

MCG isn't without its problems... just saying it could be viewed as a great opportunity, as it seems the problems are improving by leaps and bounds. Especially for anybody who would like to stay in academics and join the faculty after graduation, or anybody who would like to practice locally in GA. The facilities are really nice, the campus is completely modern, great college atmosphere, and plenty of opportunity to shine here. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who would really appreciate this sort of opportunity and would make something great of it. Thats just my take, whatever little it may mean.

I think that his slander is actionable. If I was one of the people that left, there would certainly be consequences to saying I was let go.
As to it being an opportunity, that's nonsense. Residents need good learning opportunities and mentorship, the only opportunity there might be for faculty members to advance their career and get early leadership opportunities. This place has more red flags than Tiananmen Square.

Reactions: 1 users
An attending there that's been mentoring me, asked how the interview went. I told him my thoughts (chairman was impressive, good vision for direction of program, was good to see that he had let people go that weren't "positive contributors" to the program). He stopped me there, asked me to repeat it, and said that was a flat out lie. Said those people left of their own accord, and the chairman was twisting things to make it sound like he was making positive changes. Quickly moved that bit of info from my 'positive' to 'extremely negative' column.

Reactions: 2 users
Objectively, they are looking for MULTIPLE faculty positions. Red flag number 1
There has been a thread in the past about this place. Here is what i remember. The current chair did not just come from MGH, he came years ago from MGH and was promoted within. Use that info however you like. But how is an institution serious about change if they hire a chair who is part of the culture for years to lead the department. Plus admitting to prospective residents that he fired faculty is just ridiculous if that is true. From the thread before they hold back residents for extra years. (Big Red FLAG). Someone was saying the ICU DOCTOR grabs his junk during rounds while berating residents. All this screams STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THIS PROGRAM. and if you do rank or match this place after all the information above your misery is on you. In a toxic environment as such who do you think they blame all the problems on.?? you got it.,. the residents

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input, guys.

Last edited:
@RapSeqInt - How was your interview experience ? I also have an invite and thinking about cancelling it.
Any experience from people who recently interviewed there ?

Recently interviewed with the program and was pleasantly surprised after reading the negative PR.

Its true that the program has undergone some changes. But it appeared to me, that things were heading in the right direction.

The new chairman is from MGH and has brought with him a slew of changes to the program. They recently got rid of several faculty members who were not seen as positive contributors to the program, and hired 5 new faculty members to replace them. I even had the opportunity to speak with some of them and I was very impressed with their vision for the program over the next 5 years.

Every year they have been changing the advanced positions they offer to categorical, 3 spots at a time, so that within the next couple of years all positions will be categorical.

Last year they finished a new education facility on campus and it is quite possibly the nicest building I've seen on the interview trail. The sim lab was pretty incredible. Not new mention the amazing new lecture halls.

It did seem that the residents work hard (which depending on how you look at it, could be viewed as a positive or a negative) and you dont get some transplant exposure (no hearts, no lungs, no livers), and this was really the only down side to the program that I picked up on.

Overall, I was impressed with the program and realized that it was not what some people had made it out to be on these forums and such.

@tesla how was your experience and what information did you get about new faculty members ?What is a typical interview day like ? what feedback did you get from residents ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, my experience was very positive. The residents were friendly, the facilities were really nice. The sim lab is quite sophisticated and all brand new. The chair's vision for the dept over the next few years seemed pretty credible, I cant imagine that it was all just smoke and mirrors.

The new faculty members were all trained at reputable programs. There are a couple of new peds faculty members, and apparently the caseload is comprised of a good bit of peds, therefore if you are interested in peds then give it a look. Despite all the bad PR as seen above, MCG has one of the nations highest percentages of fellowship placement, you can see for yourself on doximity's ranking (fair warning, I'm not privy to how credible exactly their ratings are, but they seem relatively legit). They also picked up a periop fellowship trained doc I believe. And they are actively recruiting new faculty on gaswork as another poster mentioned above, but I dont know that that is such a bad thing, new blood coming in seems like it could be a good thing.

Also, they didnt beat around the bush about how hard you'll be working, they said that we would work hard, but that they never have residents coming too terribly close to the 80 hour limit. Didnt give an exact figure.

If you have plenty of upper tier interviews and dont feel like you could see yourself at MCG then save your time and money. But if you have a personal reason to want to be in that area, I'd say def check it out.

Last edited:
Also, the interview day is very standard, we attended grand rounds in the am where breakfast was provided, you tour the hospital, and interview with 2 faculty and 1 resident. Nothing crazy like pimping on nonsense or anything like that.

Also, the interview day is very standard, we attended grand rounds in the am where breakfast was provided, you tour the hospital, and interview with 2 faculty and 1 resident. Nothing crazy like pimping on nonsense or anything like that.
I hope you match there ! Write back next year and tell us how that new sim lab is treating you.. or how that periop fellowship trained doc is treating you

I hope you match there ! Write back next year and tell us how that new sim lab is treating you.. or how that periop fellowship trained doc is treating you

Not gonna lie, its not in my top 5. But for somebody in a different position than I, it could be viewed as a blessing. But thank you again for your productive addition to the thread. :p

Thanks for feedback , how many OR s do they have and how is relation with surgeons ? There was also a mention about low board pass rate?

Thought this might help... Was reading back over the pamphlets that were handed out on the interviee day. Came across this list of improvements since the new chair stepped in...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 65
Thought this might help... Was reading back over the pamphlets that were handed out on the interviee day. Came across this list of improvements since the new chair stepped in...
Dude, you are shilling for this program big time.. WHy? Are you who you say you are? Or are you faculty at that place posing as a medical student.

The problems with this place is well documented and illustrated. Anyone who voluntarily ranks this place is a Dodo! What more does one need than this kind of exposure to cross this program off the list for good. Unless your wife or husband works there.

Dude, you are shilling for this program big time.. WHy? Are you who you say you are? Or are you faculty at that place posing as a medical student.

The problems with this place is well documented and illustrated. Anyone who voluntarily ranks this place is a Dodo! What more does one need than this kind of exposure to cross this program off the list for good. Unless your wife or husband works there.

Criticalelement- u are more annoying than a bog mosquito. You have accused enough people of "posing as an x" to be classified as having paranoid personality disorder. Chill out! I'm just trying to illustrate that people like you love to catastrophize, and paint a far worse picture of everything and anything possible. The program, imo, is headed in the right direction. And THAT is whats well documented, as seen above. I frankly couldnt care less, I'm just trying to provide people with as much info as possible.

LOL

That program has been a disaster for a good 5-8 years.
Hiring someone of the pedigree of MGH (aka, Man's Greatest Hell.. Or, even, Malignant General Hospital) as chair doesn't mean much when he spouts off about firing folks. Sounds like a malignant program just got more malignant.

I remember interviewing at MCG for a faculty position as a fellow. I had a chance to meet the bald ICU attending :) during my visit. He didn't seem too interested in babying residents and seemed to enjoy busting their chops. Once I found out the low starting salary for an attending (250K/yr), I quickly lost interest. Maybe things are different/better now.