SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Current UHS Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by UHS_Bound, Apr 4, 2001.

1. UHS_Bound

UHS_Bound Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Here
    Do you know if there is a break between 1st and 2nd years? Between years 2 and 3? The catalog lists MSII students have a summer didactic session. When do you become an MSII? Is the summer didactic right before your clinical years?

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nathan

nathan Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 15, 2001
    Joplin, MO USA
    I believe there is about a 2 month (possibly a little more) break between the first and second year. Many students either set up a long-term shadowing program with doctors (much like a clerkship) around the KC area, move back home and chill by the pool, or get a job as a bartender or waitress down at the Plaza (where you can make some real dough in med school)- so I've heard. I'm not sure how long of a break there is between years 2 and 3, but I know you go right into your clinical rotations pretty quickly. Hope this helps and I'll wait to meet you up there! Later.

-Nathan (UHS-COM '05)

4. bri1856

bri1856 Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 22, 1999
    Kansas City
    Nathan is right. We do have a break between MSI and MSII. There is an optional summer clerkship that you set up on your own and receive some kind of credit for. The DO/MBA students do not have a break (maybe a few weeks), they take a summer MBA session.

Brian
    MSI
    UHS-COM
    www.brianandangie.atfreeweb.com

5. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Detroit
    I don't know how the new curriculum will affect next year's schedule, but currently we only get about a month off between 2nd and 3rd year. Classes finish in mid May, then we get 3 weeks to study for boards, then summer session starts and continues until the end of July. August is free and clear, and 3rd year starts September 1st.