Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Currently active duty and interested in HPSP...

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by luckyfourwire, Dec 1, 2008.

1. luckyfourwire

Non-Student
    I'm currently on active duty in the Navy. My service obligation ends in May of 2012. At that point I'll have served 10 years. I'm interested in determining how my pay, rank, time in service, and retirement would be handled if I enter med school utilizing HPSP.

Specifically,

1. Do I have to leave the service prior to entering med school?
    2. If I remain in the service do I get paid at my current paygrade or do I take a reduction?
    3. Should I expect a reduction in rank also?
    4. What time will count towards retirement?

I've searched the internet looking for information about active duty utilizing the HPSP program but have been unable to find specific information about pay, rank, and retirement for people with prior service.

I'll be calling a recruiter soon to ask the questions or get in contact with someone who can answer them but appreciate any insight people might have prior to that call.

Thanks.

2. TheGoose

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Now, im not an expert but ive researched a lot into milmed programs so i believe my info is accurate. If someone catches something thats wrong - please correct me...answers in quote

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    see in red

4. OP
    OP
    luckyfourwire

Non-Student
    Thanks to you both for the info. Every bit helps.

NavyFP, Your comments coincide with the information I've found provided on the USUHS website. I couldn't find anything addressing the retention of current Base Pay though with the reduction to O-1 BAH. Any idea where I can look to get some more clarity on that subject?

Thanks.

5. DrMetal

DrMetal To shred or not shred?
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, if you're prior service, you get to retain your previous base pay, as per the NDAA 2007:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?tab=summary&bill=h110-4986

see Section 524